Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 09:58 AM

332 posts, read 529,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
You are not parking lot enforcement. Running after her in anger and opening her door is just not rational and maybe even criminal. Hope you get help for the sake of your family because this is not a good example and perhaps even your actions scared them more than the ladies.

because the correct thing to do is let get get away with thinking she did nothing wrong, correct? by not confronting her (or attempting too at least), OP would be agreeing with her behavior. calling the police is an option, but 1) they have better things to do and 2) by the time they actually got out there, SUV retard would be long gone.

are you an MD? giving medical advice without a license is illegal if i remember correctly..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Cop View Post
I can certainly understand becoming enraged enough to chase down the driver but remember one thing...if you place that person in fear of their life (and Im sure a guy chasing after a lady driving thru a parking lot might do that), they just might be carrying a firearm and this situation would become something entirely different. Be the better person and be thankful no one was injured and continue on with your day.
as a cop, you should know this...

1) they would be arrested for murder, as there are likely to be multiple security cameras that would back up the OP's description of the events that happened.

2) you know damn well that if you have a CHL, you cannot just pull it on someone. someone running/jogging your way does not constitute a fear of life... unless you know you did something wrong(like damn near kill someone)...

3) the best option is to bother SAPD, who may or may not send someone out hours later, to rectify the situation.

logic like this is why i absolutely LOATHE taking on city contracts to repair SAPD's already outdated network.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 10:06 AM

923 posts, read 1,502,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runback22 View Post

Now I'm not usually one to do this, but I told my wife to go in the store and I ran after that SUV through the parking lot.

Good on you man! I'm sure they knew why you were coming, and now they will think twice about driving recklessly like that.
Don't listen to the people in this thread who have no spine.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:08 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labamigo View Post
The most dangerous thing known to mankind is a woman driving an SUV in a mall parking lot.
I'm a woman, and I approve this message.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:11 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,461,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I'm a woman, and I approve this message.
especially in a shopping area

Old 11-30-2012, 10:43 AM

282 posts, read 341,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lessQQmorePEWPEW View Post

1) they would be arrested for murder, as there are likely to be multiple security cameras that would back up the OP's description of the events that happened.

2) you know damn well that if you have a CHL, you cannot just pull it on someone. someone running/jogging your way does not constitute a fear of life... unless you know you did something wrong(like damn near kill someone)...

3) the best option is to bother SAPD, who may or may not send someone out hours later, to rectify the situation.
Of course if you're dead the fact that you got "murdered" is of little comfort. You don't need a permit anymore to have a weapon in your car so you can't count on the person you're approaching knowing all the ins and outs of current Texas gun laws. Again though once you're shot and dead it would be of little consequence.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:02 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,877,109 times
Quote:
because the correct thing to do is let get get away with thinking she did nothing wrong, correct? by not confronting her (or attempting too at least), OP would be agreeing with her behavior. calling the police is an option, but 1) they have better things to do and 2) by the time they actually got out there, SUV retard would be long gone.

are you an MD? giving medical advice without a license is illegal if i remember correctly..

logic like this is why i absolutely LOATHE taking on city contracts to repair SAPD's already outdated network.
You ask if the correct thing to do is let get get away with thinking she did nothing wrong?

Well to think one should personally take it upon themselves to not let her "get away with it" is not the correct thing to do. Two wrongs don't make a right.

The correct thing to do is nothing. Nothing happened, it was a non-incident.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:09 PM

838 posts, read 1,211,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
You ask if the correct thing to do is let get get away with thinking she did nothing wrong?

Well to think one should personally take it upon themselves to not let her "get away with it" is not the correct thing to do. Two wrongs don't make a right.

The correct thing to do is nothing. Nothing happened, it was a non-incident.
Completely inaccurate. Speeding in a parking lot is absolutely against the law even though it is on private property. Kicking someone's car that came close enough to be kicked, while you could POTENTIALLY be charged with vandalism, I think you would have a really hard time proving intent to vandalize and at most you could probably get a damage judgement in civil court. I have a hard time believing you would find a cop in this town that would even arrest someone for vandalism under those circumstances. I assure you no jail time would come from it and it would probably never even make it to criminal court.

If the driver chose to press charges at the scene, as the OP, I would absolutely also assert my right to press charges against the driver for attempted murder. You tell me who you think has the better case in front of a jury, especially if surveillance video of the parking lot is presented as evidence?

I think your passive disposition is a large part of the reason we have such a lack of decorum in society today. Too many people running around with no regard for anyone but themselves and too many frightened people, like you, letting them get away with it. You should probably seek some counseling for that. I am no doctor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I would argue that the OP was not only well within his rights to confront the individual over their behavior but that he also had a civic duty to do it. Based on your own logic, it would be wrong (if not criminal) for you to even challenge me on this.

You lose.

Brian

Old 11-30-2012, 12:39 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,248,351 times
Quote:

All most having an accident dose not give you the right to "attack" some one, near accidents happen all the time. If some one is chasing after you in a parking lot, and you have no idea why they are doing it. It could very easily a case of self defense, and it would be hard pressed to prove other wise, especially if there is video evidence of said person running after you.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:46 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
Completely inaccurate. Speeding in a parking lot is absolutely against the law even though it is on private property. Kicking someone's car that came close enough to be kicked, while you could POTENTIALLY be charged with vandalism, I think you would have a really hard time proving intent to vandalize and at most you could probably get a damage judgement in civil court. I have a hard time believing you would find a cop in this town that would even arrest someone for vandalism under those circumstances. I assure you no jail time would come from it and it would probably never even make it to criminal court.

If the driver chose to press charges at the scene, as the OP, I would absolutely also assert my right to press charges against the driver for attempted murder. You tell me who you think has the better case in front of a jury, especially if surveillance video of the parking lot is presented as evidence?

I think your passive disposition is a large part of the reason we have such a lack of decorum in society today. Too many people running around with no regard for anyone but themselves and too many frightened people, like you, letting them get away with it. You should probably seek some counseling for that. I am no doctor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I would argue that the OP was not only well within his rights to confront the individual over their behavior but that he also had a civic duty to do it. Based on your own logic, it would be wrong (if not criminal) for you to even challenge me on this.

You lose.

Brian
As much I had to admit it. In Texas, speed laws are NOT enforced on parking lots. A police officer legally can not write a speeding ticket for "speeding" on a private parking lot like Target or HEB.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:48 PM

208 posts, read 381,464 times

LQMP
1) Just because someone shoots someone doesn't mean they will be arrested. If evidence is found during the investigation that proved the shooting was justified, the individual would not be arrested. Will the case go before the grand jury, yes probably so.
2) I agree with you that pulling your weapon on a person because they were running or jogging would be unjustified and also illegal but folks running or jogging wouldn't be following a vehicle up, down and thru the isles of parked cars in a mall parking lot so your comparison is I'm sorry, rediculous. Now let's say for conversation the driver of the reckless vehicle was an elderly woman with her grandkids in the car. They see a man running after them and the kids say something like...hey granny theres a man running after us, why is he doing that? She sees him and not knowing whats going on, she starts to worry about the safety of the kids and herself. When she finally parks the truck, she sees the same man running up to her vehicle and notice's he is yelling something at her and can tell he isn't very happy. The kids are saying "we're scared granny" and may even be crying. Now she is really scared but this granny has a CCL and opens the door and points the gun at the "crazy" man. I'm sure you being an intelligent person would agree that this is where things could go down hill very quickly.
3) You have your opinion and I have mine. Yours is to call SAPD and let them deal with it, mine is to take a different course.

But I will say this, I certainly hope you never find yourself in a situation such as this, either as the driver or the angry person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio