Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 06:25 PM

34 posts, read 59,198 times

Advertisements

I can't figure it out. Came down here a month ago to enjoy the gorgeous weather, hoping to enjoy some decent culture.

Weather, great. Cost of living, great. People- MISERABLE.

The drivers here are the worst I have ever seen, anywhere, period. And I've lived in 8 states. Adrenaline draining to go for a freeway drive. When shopping recently, I was warned by the clerk to watch my cart, because I was a full 10 feet away, and someone might steal my things. This was at the Dollar Tree! I hear black and white people making angry comments about Hispanics. I hear people saying bad things about Americans in Spanish. Some people won't even look at me or look at me with complete disdain. Even the mailman is rude. This is definitely not the South I'm used to. I'm offended by the attitude in this area, AND I'M COMING FROM NEW YORK!!!

The worst part is, the negativity is rubbing off on me, too. Hope I can hold out until I can move again! It makes me mad, because I think South Texas has so much to offer, but the people are taking it for granted, and some are ruining it.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:39 PM

34 posts, read 59,198 times
North, east-ish. Work @ Southwest.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:46 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Been living in SA (from Brooklyn NY) for over 40 years, not once have I experienced anywhere close to the racial/ethnic hatred as you describe.

The drivers? no better or worse than drivers in other states.

The weather? stick around for an entire year and then tell me the weather is great...

Granted we don't have the festival of San Gennaro, instead we have Old Night in San Antonio, a far better event...

We don't have the Knicks, we have the Spurs, a vastly superior team...

Old 12-03-2012, 07:42 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,991 times
Been here 20 years, and also have had the pleasure of living and visiting all over the country and world. Haven't experienced what you have. If you look for the negative in life, you'll find it. If you look for the positive, it'll be all you see.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:43 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Same here, I travel all over the country and globe and I find SA to be full of some of the nicest people around.

Sure, that changes a little once you get on the roads around here; but I find bad driving almost everywhere I go (including North Dakota! ).

Your story reminds me of when I was stationed in the UK. I lived in the barracks and there were always a couple of guys who would do nothing but complain about how bad England was. Funny thing, they never really got out of the dorms! I traveled and saw as much as I could, and loved the place.

So sometimes it's not the location that's the problem...

Old 12-03-2012, 09:52 PM

500 posts, read 969,509 times
Sorry to hear you're so miserable in San Antonio. I've been down here for 22 years, and have noticed quite the opposite in the people of the San Antonio area. I'm thinking you've got to be hanging around the wrong crowd or something. As far as drivers? Well, I've seen better, but I've seen so much worse, especially up the East Coast where I'm from.

Maybe you dislike San Antonio for some other reason, and little everyday annoyances seem worse?

Old 12-03-2012, 10:03 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,821,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hahahappypants View Post
you must live downtown or on the west/east side
Wow, that wasn't a brash generalization or anything

Downtowners are actually pretty happy folks. We wave, we know each other and we tend to hang out at the same local spots. It's a nice, growing community of like-minds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieut01 View Post
I can't figure it out. Came down here a month ago to enjoy the gorgeous weather, hoping to enjoy some decent culture.

As for negatives in SA, I'm sorry you're in a funk over this city. I moved here from Chicago, but had lived all over the place for most of my life... And I'm quite content here for now. Sure, it has it's not-so-great points, but I'd say the positives outweigh them. While it seems at times that progress may move at a glacial pace here, at least it's headed in the right direction. I believe we're a city with a lot to offer and the next 10 years are going to be crucial in either making us world-class or the red-headed step child to other metros in Texas.

Stick around a bit. It's only been a month

BN

Old 12-03-2012, 10:28 PM

282 posts, read 472,164 times
ugh. One of these threads

Old 12-03-2012, 10:31 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,983,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angieut01 View Post

The drivers here are the worst I have ever seen, anywhere, period. And I've lived in 8 states. Adrenaline draining to go for a freeway drive. When shopping recently, I was warned by the clerk to watch my cart, because I was a full 10 feet away, and someone might steal my things. This was at the Dollar Tree! I hear black and white people making angry comments about Hispanics. I hear people saying bad things about Americans in Spanish. Some people won't even look at me or look at me with complete disdain. Even the mailman is rude. This is definitely not the South I'm used to. I'm offended by the attitude in this area, AND I'M COMING FROM NEW YORK!!!

The worst part is, the negativity is rubbing off on me, too. Hope I can hold out until I can move again! It makes me mad, because I think South Texas has so much to offer, but the people are taking it for granted, and some are ruining it.

Jeezus!!!! I have the complete opposite idea of S.A.
I was shocked and suspicious of anyone holding the doors open for me, asking me if I needed help taking some ice out of an ice freezer, putting my empty shopping cart back for me so I didn't have to walk back up.
And all this was on the n.e. side near F.M. 78 and Judson /Converse area!!!!
I was the one grabbing my purse, and not wanting to look back at them or acknowledge their niceness, for fear of being pranked or robbed!!!!!!
go figure??? ( I live in Dallas by the way)

Old 12-04-2012, 11:17 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
The first impression I had of San Antonio was when I went into an "ice house" gave my money and the clerk counted out the change in my hand...

In Brooklyn the clerk would just put my change down on the counter and it was up to me to make sure it was correct...

Small things and San Antonio is full small things that say "we're friendly here"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio