Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 02:01 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,718,094 times

Advertisements

Wow, I've never even thought of picking friends based on appearance...I didn't know people did that once they were out of high school.

For the OP, what about storytime at the library? Or going to a park near your house during the day? There are other moms out there who are just as eager to make friends as you are, you just have to put yourself where you can find them. Another good way is to sit outside in your front yard in the evening and let the kids play, say hi to everyone who walks past. Soon you'll have neighbors stopping to chat and if they have kids that seem to get along with your kids very well, you can suggest playdates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 02:18 PM

4,421 posts, read 5,294,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newk View Post
My wife is looking for friends, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
and a certain look is required for someone to be your wife's friend?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Wow, I've never even thought of picking friends based on appearance...I didn't know people did that once they were out of high school.

For the OP, what about storytime at the library? Or going to a park near your house during the day? There are other moms out there who are just as eager to make friends as you are, you just have to put yourself where you can find them. Another good way is to sit outside in your front yard in the evening and let the kids play, say hi to everyone who walks past. Soon you'll have neighbors stopping to chat and if they have kids that seem to get along with your kids very well, you can suggest playdates.
It might mean they a "looking" for a crowded bederoom...

Old 12-06-2012, 02:21 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,049,095 times
Sadly,it continues way beyond high school. Certain areas of the country are quite famous for it. Saw it in South Florida, NYC,Vegas and the Grandaddy of them all...Southern California. Groups of friends milling about, all looking similar both in appearance and dress.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:32 PM

5 posts, read 6,091 times
Thank you for the church suggestions...i will definitely look into them!

@hedgehog_mom we do storytime and park but being very shy i think its very difficult for me to strike up a conversation. I feel out of my comfort zone here but thats not always a bad thing right? thanks for the suggestions

Old 12-06-2012, 04:24 PM

239 posts, read 440,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newk View Post
Pics?
hahaha

Old 12-06-2012, 11:25 PM

707 posts, read 1,836,724 times
There is a baptist church at 1604/Potranco. I can't remember the name, but it's just north of the Academy parking lot.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:44 AM

71 posts, read 200,686 times
Meetup.com lists several "moms" groups...

Find Meetup groups near you - Meetup

Old 12-08-2012, 08:17 AM

3,216 posts, read 8,515,117 times
I agree with the above...church (they usually have playgroups and adult groups)and MOPS are great places. If you involve your child in any YMCA sports, dance, gymnastics classes, etc., you'll meet others, too. Also, check out the school districts community education programs, both for your child and you.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:05 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,718,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsrdqz86 View Post

@hedgehog_mom we do storytime and park but being very shy i think its very difficult for me to strike up a conversation. I feel out of my comfort zone here but thats not always a bad thing right? thanks for the suggestions

It's easier to start talking to people when they have kids, because there's an automatic conversation-starter. Ask how old their child is, compliment an outfit, etc. Then they'll say something about your child, and the conversation is started. Or you can ask for advice about the area "We just moved here, I was wondering if there's a duck pond nearby?" (or whatever you want to ask) then they can ask where you moved from.

The more you talk to people, the easier it will get.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:26 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,121,230 times
I think the most shocking thing about this post is 151/potranco is considered nw side of town
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio