Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 12:31 AM

135 posts, read 191,566 times

Advertisements

Lol panhandling offensive? I don't mind them much...not meaning I like em their but they don't bother me...what bothers me is these baseball teams and cheerleaders out their begging! Lazy and stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 06:55 AM

894 posts, read 1,546,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spursrock View Post
Look around times are super tough right now, no jobs, no healthcare, people that need assistance can't get it. I see more and more people walking and begging now more than ever! And most of them aren't even homeless just going through a tough time.
I disagree. Times are great right now. Unemployment in San Antonio is at 6%. That is phenomenal and very close to full employment. Now if you want tough times, go to places where industrialization is in decline...like maybe Detroit. It is a disservice to characterize employment conditions in San Antonio to other areas that are truly in decline when, in fact, we have so much.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:32 AM

500 posts, read 969,401 times
Yeah, there's a guy who is at the 218 southbound ramp at Sunset who has been there for YEARS. At least 10! The cops have been rousting him for the last couple of years, but you still see him occasionally.

There may be a small increase in panhandlers when times are truly tough, but times aren't as bad as some would like to project. This isn't people reaching out for help in bad times for the most part. This is a way of life for them.

And for those who don't mind strangers giving you the sad look, begging for $$ when there are plenty jobs available, like it's YOUR problem they aren't working like the rest of us must to make a living, well good for you. You win Saint for the day. I find public begging offensive in this country that has so much to offer.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:44 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,187,517 times
I recently read an article that said panhandlers average $18 per hour. They'll keep at it unless/until people stop giving them money.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:10 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,347,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
These threads always make me laugh. The minute people bring up beggars, the high and mighty come out and want to tell us how it's a scam and illegal and society is heading into the toilet because of them. Help them or dont (I choose to in many cases) but stop looking down your nose at them or the people that choose to help them.

Oh and before people spout off about the legalities about it, save it. I dont particularly care if it is legal or illegal. If someone needs help and I am in a position to help, I'll help. Go preach elsewhere.
YOU are not helping anyone.

This city has many avenues for you to help the needy but giving money at your local intersection is irresponsible.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:52 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
I recently read an article that said panhandlers average $18 per hour. They'll keep at it unless/until people stop giving them money.
That income is tax-free, too.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:14 PM

138 posts, read 187,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollygagger428 View Post
If you would take time to read, it was Spursrock who said it's the economy. You talk about other cities having panhandlers; here's the difference: In most other cities, you don't find them out on nice, suburban intersections. Lately, they have been at 1604/Bandera, Culebra, Military, Potranco and 151/Potranco. While going to the doctor, I saw one for the first time at Wiseman/151 just last week. So, it is spreading and getting worse.
I live in beautiful San Diego and you'll find homeless camps that you won't find in San Antonio. You'll find them under overpasses, on the sidewalks leading into downtown, etc. I've seen panhandlers on Coronado Island where most of the high-ranking Navy officers live. Granted, they may not be tolerated there for long, but they're there.

I'm not sure why you have issues with San Antonio, but, while it's not the best city in the U.S., it certainly isn't the worst. I just don't understand the need to constantly bash a city you've obviously (unless you're military) chosen to live in. If you are military, then you should've known you'd end up somewhere you may not like, so why not just make the best of it rather than wasting all that time generating negative energy?

Old 11-17-2013, 03:44 PM

161 posts, read 227,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmax4 View Post
I live in beautiful San Diego and you'll find homeless camps that you won't find in San Antonio. You'll find them under overpasses, on the sidewalks leading into downtown, etc. I've seen panhandlers on Coronado Island where most of the high-ranking Navy officers live. Granted, they may not be tolerated there for long, but they're there.

I'm not sure why you have issues with San Antonio, but, while it's not the best city in the U.S., it certainly isn't the worst. I just don't understand the need to constantly bash a city you've obviously (unless you're military) chosen to live in. If you are military, then you should've known you'd end up somewhere you may not like, so why not just make the best of it rather than wasting all that time generating negative energy?
If you love SA, that's great; move here. I think it's bizarre that people will pick out someone who does not like a place and gripe at them. If you were to tell me you can't stand Colorado, I'd shrug my shoulders, but couldn't care less. You act like I'm the ONLY human being who has ever moved here and hated it.
I did come here for work and will be able to retire in March. It's 90 miserable degrees here today in mid-November and I have to watch my wife suffer from the heat.
I'm just curious: do you go on all the other city and state threads to pick out people who do not care for the city they live in??

Old 11-17-2013, 03:46 PM

500 posts, read 969,401 times
Coronado.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:31 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,725,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
YOU are not helping anyone.

This city has many avenues for you to help the needy but giving money at your local intersection is irresponsible.

You're right, they DO have plenty of avenues for me to help...

There is West Avenue, San Pedro Avenue, Theo Avenue and on and on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio