U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 07:53 PM

1,532 posts, read 3,504,404 times

Advertisements

We are looking at homes from out of state and right now I'm looking at homes in the Trophy Ridge neighborhood. A friend of mine told me that she "hates the Potranco Rd. area". Does anyone know why this might be? Is it busy? Dangerous? Thanks for any info on the neighborhood or area!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 09:27 AM

732 posts, read 3,445,115 times
I love Trophy Ridge - its' a really great neighborhood. We are currently living nearby and really wish we'd found a place there instead. I don't find Potranco to be terribly bad - at least not compared to other areas of the city. I think your friend probably hates it b/c it's experiencing such tremendous growth and wishes it would go back to being quiet. But you can't beat all the shopping and amenities closeby. I would definitely recommend Trophy Ridge.

Oh - and it's not dangerous at all.....

Old 10-17-2007, 10:20 AM

3,468 posts, read 8,110,828 times
mojokitty, I posted a reply to your question about Trophy Ridge in the Potranco/1604 thread, but just now realized that you are looking from out of state. Have you been here to visit at all or just looking at pics over the internet? I ask, because the Trophy Ridge neighborhood has a fairly unique look vs. many of the others. You might not get the whole feel of it thru individual home pictures. It is part of the Backyard Wildlife Habitat program, so there is a fairly large emphasis on "natural" landscaping and there are lots of trees. The pool & playstructure area is very pretty and still has alot of trees as well. Are you considering one of the new homes from Medallion, or a pre-owned?

Old 10-17-2007, 06:01 PM

Default Looking at both...

We have been looking at both pre-owned and new. I'm not sure which route we are going to go. Is the area pretty much built up or are there lots available? It just seems like a really nice area and I've heard all good things about it. The one thing that worried me was #1 my friend saying she hated Portranco, and #2 someone else telling me about the "dangerous" areas on Marbach which is only 1 street away. So, I'm glad people are telling me otherwise. My hubby is going to be working at Lackland, so I hope it's not that bad of a commute for him. I like the looks of the homes in this area too, they seem unique. Thanks for the help!

Old 10-17-2007, 06:16 PM

25 posts, read 65,965 times
Marbach is more than one street away just ,so you know, more like a mile away. I live in trophy ridge and marbach is a world away. This is a really safe community and unique as far as new construction homes go. People are always out walking or running. And there is a new elementary school going in. The quality of construction is very good. One thing is traffic is bad. My husband works at lackland though and the commute is not that bad. There are homes for purchase and plenty of empty lots available.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:45 PM

33 posts, read 112,213 times
Default Piling On

Mojokitty,
Let me just pile on to what has already been said. I live in Trophy Ridge (have for two years now) and it is a really nice neighborhood. I too commute to Lackland and there are multiple ways to get there from here and if one leaves at a decent hour, the drive is not at all bad. The worst part can be the drive home if you arrive at a bad time (generally after 3:30), but there are ways around that as well. The neighborhood is fairly well insulated from Potranco and if you decide to live back in Phase 3, you are quite separate from all the hubbub. The trees really made it for our family as most other builders are not that concerned with leaving mature trees in their neighborhoods so other neighborhoods can look like a pit mine that has just been filled in before the houses go up. If you decide on Trophy Ridge, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:17 PM

Default we're joining you!

We just bought a house in Trophy Ridge this weekend. It seems like a really nice neighborhood and we are very excited to move in. Does anyone have any contributions to share about the neighborhood or anything that I haven't seen or heard on this thread? It seems like the portranco/1604 area is booming right now!

Old 11-13-2007, 03:21 PM

781 posts, read 3,658,548 times
Congrats on your purchase. I have heard it is a lovely area.:-)

Old 11-13-2007, 03:40 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,110,828 times
Default Hooray!!!

Congrats mojokitty!! I'm glad you decided on Trophy Ridge, it's a great neighborhood!! Are you building from dirt or did you buy an inventory home?

We'll be "neighbors". I'm just up Rousseau, North of Military in the Oak Creek Estates neighborhood. Send me a dm if you have an questions about the area. I think you'll like it!

Old 11-26-2007, 10:11 PM

Hey, just a quick question about the homes in Trophy Ridge. They are Energy Star homes, how are your utility bills? I'm just trying to get a good idea of how much it might cost us to run the air conditioning, heat, etc. Any Trophy Ridge residents that can help with this question? Thanks!

Also, Jules07, we bought a pre-owned house and are thrilled! I can't wait to move in, it should be soon now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio