Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 02:08 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,026,845 times

Advertisements

But wait, I thought gov't housing was fair and good and only helped people???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 05:31 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I never said it didn't. Whatever. If there's a pawn shop across the street from my house there's a pawn shop across the street from my house. Changes come and go. I love where I live, government housing, pawn shops and bus lines and all.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I never said it didn't. Whatever. If there's a pawn shop across the street from my house there's a pawn shop across the street from my house. Changes come and go. I love where I live, government housing, pawn shops and bus lines and all.
You linked the two, after Newk pointed out that there was a CashAmerica Pawn in 78249. As if the govt housing explains the pawn shops. So, whatever.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:00 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,544,815 times
Ok I don't understand this post at all. Do I want to go there or stay away?

Old 01-02-2013, 10:16 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,544,815 times
This is a stupid thread. Nobody knows about anybody's zip code except their own. Mind your own business!

Old 01-03-2013, 06:54 AM

993 posts, read 2,490,731 times
Quote:
You linked the two, after Newk pointed out that there was a CashAmerica Pawn in 78249. As if the govt housing explains the pawn shops. So, whatever.
Good point. Not always, but often, do you get government housing in close proximity to pawn shops? I am just trying to talk this one out.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:43 AM

3 posts, read 5,788 times
Hi All, I'm new to living here in San Antonio, may buy a home this year, and getting a lot out of this discussion. Thanks, Bo, for posting the initial article, and everybody for insightful and thought-provoking comments.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:22 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,875,771 times
Quote:
Are you serious? Does this mean you are against subsidized housing?

You do know it is not difficult to understand that while subsidized housing does help there are issues associated with them, one can discuss both without seeing it as a black-and-white issue where it must be all good or all bad but no in-between. Nuance does exist. There would be much worse issues if we did not provide housing to those who need it.

Now if you are against government housing are you going to house them yourself? Or maybe your stance is NIMBY? Maybe we should send them all to the country, or even another country, but if we did that who would work all the service jobs you rely on? Oh that is right, this is the reason the Victoria Courts was closed and many of the tenants were moved into apartments and houses all over the city and the suburbs too, some living no doubt a very short distance from where you used to live, when you lived here, so they can work at the businesses nearby.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:15 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,368,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Indeed old money vs new. One survives on accumulated wealth, the other on income. One spends frugally but buys quality, the other spends a lot and buys what is marketed toward them.

Of course the marketeers are attracted to areas with new money. Old money already has shopping strategies that they learned them from their parents. New money is learning them from neighbors, the influence of marketeers, and other sources including their parents too.

This is not surprising.

If I had a choice of where to live, anywhere, Terrel Hills. There is good reason you don't hear much about it from them, they don't want you to. The houses and landscapes are to die for, simple elegance without ostentation and none two look alike for even their home's design was by personal selection and not what was marketed toward them.
Oh lord, another person seeking to share insights on the differences between old money and new money, rich and wealthy. It doesn't matter, it isn't a competition, life is not a race but a journey. Take pride in where YOU live, be a good neighbor, and you will be happier for it.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Are you serious? Does this mean you are against subsidized housing?
Draw whatever conclusion you'd like. Discussing topics with you is and and and not worth my time. Wrong thread anyway. Have a splendid day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio