Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-27-2012, 11:21 PM
 
Location: The "original 36" of SA
841 posts, read 1,750,462 times
Reputation: 690

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
These demographics also matter to retailers, particularly to those based in other states. If you wonder why Target opened multiple stores outside of 1604 long before opening a store in 78209, blame data like this.
But... I wonder (and I am no demographer or marketing whiz), if zip code income was actually the determining factor for Target. Wouldn't they also consider the availability of suitable land (I've read that Target tends to actually buy vs. lease), the potential for population growth, the proximity to complementary stores, the ease of access to highways, and the age of nearby residents? I just think that those items would be more important than the difference in income between the 1604 area zip codes and 78209.

I mean, Whole Foods and Trader Joe's shoppers have a higher median household income than Target, yet they chose 78209 before 1604.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-28-2012, 12:10 AM
 
7,005 posts, read 12,498,607 times
Reputation: 5480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
These demographics also matter to retailers, particularly to those based in other states. If you wonder why Target opened multiple stores outside of 1604 long before opening a store in 78209, blame data like this.
I think this had more to do with the business climate on that road rather than income. When the city is building like crazy on the far north and northwest sides (while neglecting the rest of the city), of course businesses are going to want to open there. They don't want to build in a retail desert. Nothing else has changed much in the 78209 area except that the city decided to invest in development. So far from what I've seen, the Target parking lot has been full. They should have built a Super Target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
But... I wonder (and I am no demographer or marketing whiz), if zip code income was actually the determining factor for Target. Wouldn't they also consider the availability of suitable land (I've read that Target tends to actually buy vs. lease), the potential for population growth, the proximity to complementary stores, the ease of access to highways, and the age of nearby residents? I just think that those items would be more important than the difference in income between the 1604 area zip codes and 78209.

I mean, Whole Foods and Trader Joe's shoppers have a higher median household income than Target, yet they chose 78209 before 1604.
Good point. There really isn't much space to build a large Target in the Quarry, but that area does have the demographics to support high-end stores. This shopping center has no problems with keeping spaces occupied. Target is not really high-end anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2012, 12:21 AM
 
Location: Boerne, Texas
318 posts, read 571,709 times
Reputation: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
But is it really the wealthiest (i.e. overall net worth), or just the one with the highest current income?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

(I'm just having friendly fun here)
I saw some updated San Antonio metro area statistics a few months ago that showed 78015 (Fair Oaks Ranch area) had become the wealthiest zip code in the area based on estimated net worth of approximately $1 million per household. This would be a better metric to use rather than current income, although incomes in the FOR area tend to be high as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2012, 03:44 AM
 
3,669 posts, read 6,888,105 times
Reputation: 1805
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoerneMan View Post
I saw some updated San Antonio metro area statistics a few months ago that showed 78015 (Fair Oaks Ranch area) had become the wealthiest zip code in the area based on estimated net worth of approximately $1 million per household. This would be a better metric to use rather than current income, although incomes in the FOR area tend to be high as well.
Indeed old money vs new. One survives on accumulated wealth, the other on income. One spends frugally but buys quality, the other spends a lot and buys what is marketed toward them.

Of course the marketeers are attracted to areas with new money. Old money already has shopping strategies that they learned them from their parents. New money is learning them from neighbors, the influence of marketeers, and other sources including their parents too.

This is not surprising.

If I had a choice of where to live, anywhere, Terrel Hills. There is good reason you don't hear much about it from them, they don't want you to. The houses and landscapes are to die for, simple elegance without ostentation and none two look alike for even their home's design was by personal selection and not what was marketed toward them.

Last edited by Merovee; 12-28-2012 at 04:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2012, 08:32 AM
 
3,247 posts, read 9,063,956 times
Reputation: 1526
It's against all odds why HEB want put a Central Market in these zip codes but outside corporation choose to do so?

Pawn shops, liquor stores, payday loans- does this signal a zip code in decline?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2012, 08:38 AM
Bo Bo started this thread Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Ohio
17,107 posts, read 38,160,806 times
Reputation: 14447
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Pawn shops, liquor stores, payday loans- does this signal a zip code in decline?
Liquor stores seem to be trending toward big-box retail lately. (Spec's, Gabriel's, Twin Liquors, etc.) I can't remember the last time I saw a new small liquor store open in SA.

I agree that the other two are signs of a zip code with people living in or close to poverty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2013, 12:11 AM
 
867 posts, read 872,222 times
Reputation: 2199
If you read the article then you know that they are talking about average income, which by itself doesn't mean a whole lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2013, 09:15 AM
 
500 posts, read 971,347 times
Reputation: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Indeed old money vs new. One survives on accumulated wealth, the other on income.
Yes, absolutely. That's why the census stats are so important to retailers like Target. And it's why they capture zipcode info at the purchase point. It validates that brand of marketing. They focus on disposable income, which represents $$ to be spent in their stores. You're not going to see trustfund people liquidating assets to spend money in Target. They will spend on quality or necessary services though. People with disposable income will spend more on disposable items. It's human nature.

While the article points out wealth migrating to the outer zipcodes, it's all about reported income levels. It's interesting to read about the traditional "smug affluence" they report about in areas like '09. In my experience, that's very true. We run a retail store in AH, and see it in our customers on a daily basis. As long as they spend their $$ with us, we love that attitude. It's our lifeblood. I will say that there's not the amount of disposable income in that area that you see in Northern Bexar, or Comal and Kendall.

I would submit that any area has it's own brand (and numbers) of smug affluence though. Whether it's earned or inherited. Money affects people in different ways. In my opinion, smugness has never built a quality place to live, it only detracts from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2013, 12:19 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
993 posts, read 2,494,340 times
Reputation: 309
Where does that leave the 78249? We just had a brand new CashAmerica Pawn open up near us. Just what we want right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2013, 01:42 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX via San Antonio, TX
9,854 posts, read 13,738,867 times
Reputation: 5707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newk View Post
Where does that leave the 78249? We just had a brand new CashAmerica Pawn open up near us. Just what we want right?
To be fair, in that specific area there are at least two tax assisted or government housing complexes there. One of Springtime and one on Babock right past CVS. It's ugly, but with the land that is still available and the desire to be in a good part of the city, I don't see it stopping in our area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top