Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 03:11 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,769,285 times

Advertisements

I think space heater fires are always a result of improper use. How would they be less safe than a fan, since that is basically what they are, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 03:35 PM

7,105 posts, read 11,747,687 times
Space heaters have heat sources....which, by their nature requires 'em to get quite hot.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:10 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,844,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
^^ THIS ^^

And while that can be said of many things (eg, smoking), you really want to think about this one!

That being said, my parents (who live North of Boston, and have whole home heating), use these (portable electric radiators) to supplement:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/DeLonghi+-+Oil-Filled+Radiator+Heater+-+Black/6667373.p?id=1218770737516&skuId=6667373&ref=06&lo c=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=6667373&extensionType= pla:g&s_kwcid=PTC!pla!!!22278234874!g!!6892553434& gclid=CNz4l6XPvbQCFaGPPAodSWMAQQ

http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=C...illed+radiator

Now, they can get HOT, but, (IMHO) are less of a FIRE hazard than a typical space heater.
This is what we use. These little portable radiators work awesomely great to heat up a room especially if like kicking back in the garage.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:19 AM

500 posts, read 963,879 times
Portable oil based radiators do work very well, we used to have one we used for a couple of cold spots in a prior home. My thought is if you are looking to move to the AH area, I would avoid a place without a safe source of heat. Can't say much about Tobin Hill. Kind of a HodgePodge.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:55 PM

114,841 posts, read 65,496,546 times
Resistance heating means high amperage thus possibility of fire caused mostly by poor connections. Undersized cords or faulty receptacles, inadequate wiring ..undersized or poor connections. Sometimes the appliance itself is at fault. Though space heaters are no more likely to be fire hazards (in most cases) than an A/C of equal amperage under the same conditions.

Resistance heaters are convenient but also the most costly of heat sources to operate. Generally safe to use...
If you have adequate wiring
Don't use extension cords
Keep heater and it's vents clean
Keep away from flammables and curtains and other materials
Check the cord, plug and receptacle often for heat damage (and insure tight fit).
Know what all is on the circuit you use (most 115v circuits are rated 20 amps) a 1200 or 1500 watt heater is really pushing it.
Many heaters have a lower wattage setting typically half power 600/750 watts. Use lower setting if in doubt about the circuits capabilities.
Any free standing heater should have a tilt switch for safety. If it's knocked over shuts off heater.
Follow all manufacturers suggestions and local codes.
Space heaters are good for small areas not covered by other systems. Heating an entire house with them isn't advisable.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:49 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,601,084 times
Quote:
How would they be less safe than a fan
It was a hot summer in Vermont and I turned on my fan which made a burning odor smell. Turned out something got caught in the wheel. Dorm security took it away citing it as a fire hazard.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:37 PM

5,238 posts, read 7,953,726 times
The Eden Pure and similar units put out no more heat than a cheap space heater. If the place is poorly insulated they won't work well. Do read all about them if you choose something like the Eden Pure. There are other models too, but they all are about alike. There are some YouTube videos about them as well.

I live in the north and have used space heaters for years, not really by choice thats just how its worked out. For sure, do not buy the tall Sunbeam unit for 50 bucks at Walmart, they have a flaw and overheat on the high setting after being on a short time, it turns itself off, they are junk. The milk house heaters are cheapest and do ok. They usually have a 1200 and 1500 watt setting, some have a 750 setting too. I usually leave it on the lowest setting I can, unless its very cold. They will turn off if knocked over. I would set it on a cement block or paver. Every few weeks pull out the cord and make sure it looks ok. After very hard constant use the plug can get bad. I doubt you would use it near to that degree but its a good precaution. The radiator heaters like in the one link are ok, but don't have a fan as I recall. They are fine for additional heat, but if you have none, that type might not be a good idea. Also the electric heaters are not cheap to run as a rule. At least you won't be needing it for long down there. I'm in an old farmhouse in Iowa with no heat to the second floor and its poorly insulated. So winter is no picnic for me. I keep saying this will be my last year here, yet another block in the road.

But I agree with the others, I'd look for a place with heat and save yourself the potential hassle. I know about window a/c's too, they are all crap from China. Drives me nuts buying crap. Remember when they used to last for many years, back when stuff was made well? Good Luck, hope you find a fine place soon.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:32 AM

334 posts, read 912,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
IMO, space heaters are both dangerous (fire hazard, ESPECIALLY with kids) and indicate that the landlord is a cheapskate who likely skirts other maintenance issues. I'd stay far, FAR away!
I have to second (or third) this. In fact, I think it's code that residences must have heating (I know that insurers demand it, so the landlord either doesn't have insurance or is lying to the carrier, which should give you further pause).

Look, heating isn't much needed in San Antonio for most of the year, but the absence of it in a prospective rental home is so suspicious that you shouldn't even consider it.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:43 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,769,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
It was a hot summer in Vermont and I turned on my fan which made a burning odor smell. Turned out something got caught in the wheel. Dorm security took it away citing it as a fire hazard.
That's my point. How come you never hear these danger warnings for regular fans.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:33 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,601,084 times
Quote:
That's my point. How come you never hear these danger warnings for regular fans.
I guess because fans are supposed to cool down not heat up. That was really something how fast that fan was heating itself up.

About heating. Listen. San Antonio does get cold enough that you need a place with heating built in. You may be getting yourself a safe space heater but do others in your housing unit think about that too? Maybe not....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio