Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 07:15 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,873,632 times

Advertisements

I recommend going to Downtown and staying there, walking around, etc..

We have a wonderful Riverwalk, a few public squares, Rivercenter mall and the movie theater, some nice hotels with private parking if you can afford it, there are cheaper ones along the periphery and chances of property crimes rise since they have cars on lots accessible to the public.

There are also nearby museums Downtown! Trolly cars to get around if you don't like walking much, a bicycle rent program, pick it up and drop it off at different areas Downtown although unsure how it works with tourists since it is more geared toward locals I believe, there are Segway rentals but most use them just for a couple of hours, and the Alamo, just don't try to sneak into the basement.

Did I mention haunted places, including a few hotels are said to be, and ghost tours. There is just so much happening.

This might be a better choice than staying off of I-10 in the NW side of town along strip malls where nothing is unique or uniquely San Antonian. Unless of course driving to a restaurant, to a few stores, then back to your hotel is your preference.

If interested just ask where to stay in Downtown, some of the others are sure to know here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoerneMan View Post
Extremely safe. This is in the midst of some of the highest incomes in the city. However, as others have pointed out, I would not leave anything semi-valuable or truly valuable out in plain sight in your vehicle as any hotel can be the victim of quick smash and grabs.

If you want some good (not the best, but I still enjoy it very much) BBQ, the original Rudy's (now a chain) is very close to this hotel. If you want a burger, try the Longhorn Cafe.

Just note that if you're not used to driving in Texas with access roads, the area around this hotel is somewhat confusing to people new to the area. Unlike in San Antonio where the access roads are one way, they are two way in this area. Traffic on the access road is expected to yield (read, STOP!) if cars are exiting off the mainlanes of the highway. If you are exiting the highway and see a car coming at you on the access road, they should stop for you. Make sure you don't stop when exiting the highway or you will potentially get rear ended.

Safe travels!
lol @ the advice for entering and exiting the highway

Yeah, no one really follows those rules. There is this, someone has to slow down, another has to speed up, it is a dance quickly decided by you and the other guy.

Also since they removed yield signs on entrance ramps I am unsure of the current status.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 10:10 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,234,112 times
The issue with staying at a hotel down is you have to pay for everything, parking, breakfast, Internet.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:39 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,043,113 times
I like this Trulia Crime Heat Map because it color codes the high crime areas and you can set filters to show only violet crime occurrences in each area as opposed to property crimes.

Crime Map Beta - Trulia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio