Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2015, 10:19 AM

18 posts, read 25,858 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am a single person who just found out about Helotes and it seems very appealing. I'm looking for a modest house on a beautiful treed acre or more for about 200,000. Are there a lot of trees and hills there? What is living in Helotes like? Is it safe? Peaceful? What is the traffic like? I will be commuting to San Antonio only on the weekends (not during the week). Are the police strict there? Do they monitor your every move and ticket you for 3 miles over the speed limit like they do in Lakeway? I am an artist and want peace and quiet and two dogs and I want to live around nice, friendly neighbors. I have looked on the MLS and City Data already but want to hear from people who live or have lived there. Thanks for any information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 12:03 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,064,040 times
I don't think you'll find a house on an acre for 200K in Helotes now, unless it needs a lot of fixin.

Old 12-04-2015, 01:05 PM

9,852 posts, read 13,704,520 times
Even though our housing costs are lower than the Austin area it's going to be tough to find anything sells event, that isn't a trailer, for under 200k north of SA. Try south. And as far as the "artist community" you are seeking, the SA area is not where you're going to find it.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:13 PM

18 posts, read 25,858 times
Does Helotes have lots of trees and hills? What is the traffic like?

Old 12-04-2015, 06:39 PM

108 posts, read 119,622 times
My sister lives there and it's an Ok place to live. Floores Country store is cool but nobody goes there anymore. It is always too crowded. (Thanks for that one Yogi!) I am invited to be there for Christmas and my mom tells me she has some money to give me so I guess I gotta go. It is not the kind of place I like to visit but you might like it. I have never been to the CORNIVAL. I don't know anybody who ever went but I am sure it is a lot of fun. Helotes is kind of stuck between San Antonio and The lake Hills and Bandera. I actually thought about living there at one time but it just wasn't practical for me from a financial point of view. Trees and Hills are everywhere just like traffic. I don't think it is very artistic unless you like Aquariums and Snapdragons. Oh yes don't forget MUlCHIE!

Old 12-04-2015, 06:40 PM

8 posts, read 9,408 times
Lots of trees and hills. Kind of got a country feel and seems to be a large portion of country/kicker type kids at the high school next to Bill Miller.

The cops are small town kind of guys that know everybody and I would imagine they are bad news if you cross them. I used to see one hanging out a convenient store talking to the cashier all the time like that's all he had to do?

Traffic is bad south of Bandera on 1604 but north of there all the way to I-10 is not so bad. The town has a good reputation and not overrun with ghetto mentality like 60% of San Antonio.

Old 12-05-2015, 07:16 PM

4,064 posts, read 5,647,192 times
Helotes is a nice town...I remember when it didn't seem so much like part of S.A. Some of it is pretty treed with large lots, some not so. There's more of those developed subdivisions nowadays, more like the city. Real estate used to be very reasonable in the greater S.A. compared with many parts of the country. A lot of places for sale that languished on the market when real estate slowed down. But then people suffering from the results of the financial crash heard things, like that things weren't so bad here. They poured in. And then fracking started up in parts of South Texas...and other areas. Competition for real estate picked up, drove prices up...rental prices especially went up and housing sales also. I can't believe how high it's gotten. BTW, wherever you look, ask about utility prices also.

Old 12-05-2015, 08:08 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,971,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
And as far as the "artist community" you are seeking, the SA area is not where you're going to find it.
Plenty of artist areas around the downtown core. More artsy areas then Austin, artists can't afford the rent in Austin.

Old 12-06-2015, 03:55 PM

9,852 posts, read 13,704,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
Plenty of artist areas around the downtown core. More artsy areas then Austin, artists can't afford the rent in Austin.

With an acre of land? In Southtown? Under 200k? Link me to a listing. I'd love to see it. (I do agree about Austin, though)

Old 12-28-2015, 02:58 PM

437 posts, read 903,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredandRetired View Post
Oh yes don't forget MUlCHIE!
People still talk about Mulchie??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio