Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 05:28 PM

500 posts, read 969,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
There is a problem with your view because you simply want to see others dead. That it is talked about openly is concerning for our future.
Wow, somebody is so wrapped up in their own little world that they can't read between the lines anymore. I really don't think that any of these folks would literally shoot these delinquent punks. I don't think that any reasonable person would think so either. I do however understand and feel the obvious frustration, and their need to vent.

[mod cut: personal - please, discuss the topic not other posters]

Last edited by elnina; 01-23-2013 at 12:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 08:19 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times
Quote:
Such desire for violence has no part in continuing progress for our society. I don't condone kids doing graffiti but that becomes a lesser issue in the face of men who want to harm them.
Keep 'em off of our property, an' there won't be any problems, eh?

Old 01-21-2013, 10:58 PM

500 posts, read 969,401 times
Quote:
No one who states they want to shoot or harm a juvenile can claim others are antagonizing them by merely pointing out what a backward social view that is.
I never have stated that. So my observation must stand.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:52 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,405,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpantle View Post
Wow, somebody is so wrapped up in their own little world that they can't read between the lines anymore. I really don't think that any of these folks would literally shoot these delinquent punks. I don't think that any reasonable person would think so either. I do however understand and feel the obvious frustration, and their need to vent.
[mod cut: personal - please, discuss the topic not other posters]

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to dpantle again."

I tried!

Last edited by elnina; 01-23-2013 at 12:12 AM..

Old 01-22-2013, 07:07 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,876,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
We have juveniles shooting juveniles in these said crime areas. Meh oh well some of us just choose to move out of ratty areas.
Your first point is accurate but neither here or there.

For your second point, well moving away won't solve the problem of graffiti and it will eventually follow you wherever you do move to.

Then there is the fact that I never complained about my neighborhood. As stated before I have seen it been OK, then get worse, and now it's getting better again.

Also keep in mind that quite a few people, some who work for your neighbors in their houses there in Alamo Heights, others who maybe work under you or support your organization near Sea World (I believe I recall you posting you worked there once), live in similar areas that I do. If we all moved next door to you then who would work for you?

Last edited by Merovee; 01-22-2013 at 07:18 AM..

Old 01-22-2013, 07:20 AM

62 posts, read 110,746 times
Merovee,
You can't be serious when you say it will follow us wherever we go? That is a ridiculous and also sad statement, if you really feel that way.
Perhaps you have never lived anywhere else? This tagging/graffiti business is NOT all over the U.S., trust me. I can tell you it wouldn't float in many places we've lived...you would have to go LOOKING for it in the dumpiest areas. Unlike here, where it seems to spread out like as if they're determined to "mark" a spot.
I feel like the taggers just want to thumb their noses at anyone who has a nice house, neighborhood, shopping area, or is working hard to make a nice life. It's very disturbing and ruins property values. Too many seem to turn the other way and see it as "culturally acceptable" here, but this would not be allowed in many places I've been.
Taggers have no pride in their own neighborhoods, so why not go and ruin someone else's? There needs to be a stop to it.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cramowheat View Post
Merovee,
You can't be serious when you say it will follow us wherever we go? That is a ridiculous and also sad statement, if you really feel that way.
Perhaps you have never lived anywhere else? This tagging/graffiti business is NOT all over the U.S., trust me. I can tell you it wouldn't float in many places we've lived...you would have to go LOOKING for it in the dumpiest areas. Unlike here, where it seems to spread out like as if they're determined to "mark" a spot.
I feel like the taggers just want to thumb their noses at anyone who has a nice house, neighborhood, shopping area, or is working hard to make a nice life. It's very disturbing and ruins property values. Too many seem to turn the other way and see it as "culturally acceptable" here, but this would not be allowed in many places I've been.
Taggers have no pride in their own neighborhoods, so why not go and ruin someone else's? There needs to be a stop to it.
I view graffiti as a crime and not acceptable.

You are right in that graffiti is not everywhere, it isn't in most old money areas, but trust that if you moved away from some bad area then you are most likely just moving to some other cookie-cutter area that will be run down not too long from now, it will have graffiti, it will follow you.

I am just speaking about San Antonio, as I guess you are when you say, "unlike here, where it seems to spread out." So no, you are right, I have never lived anywhere else but San Antonio.

Fact is if there is tagging near you then most likely the taggers themselves live near you. Going to a nice neighborhood far away out of spite as you imagine might not be the norm.

I view harming children less acceptable even if they are taggers or the law sides with you.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:39 AM

545 posts, read 1,061,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpantle View Post
Give us all a break, and pontificate to your cats.

Set an example for all of us and go first.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:46 AM

62 posts, read 110,746 times
Well, Merovee, that is a really sad outlook for anyone thinking of moving here to a nice "cookie-cutter" neighborhood, then. It's not for me and I refuse to accept is as the "norm".
Where I come from, it just wouldn't float, but neither is littering. By the way, I didn't come from a fancy, rich background (actually a small farming/tourist area of the Ozarks). However, I was raised in a community where pride for your surroundings was instilled. People who think differently didn't last too long there.
Instead of getting a chip on your shoulder, why not turn things around and require more of yourself? Why not want SA to be a clean, beautiful city that lures highly educated people to stay and contribute to our tax base?

Old 01-22-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cramowheat View Post
Well, Merovee, that is a really sad outlook for anyone thinking of moving here to a nice "cookie-cutter" neighborhood, then. It's not for me and I refuse to accept is as the "norm".
Where I come from, it just wouldn't float, but neither is littering. By the way, I didn't come from a fancy, rich background (actually a small farming/tourist area of the Ozarks). However, I was raised in a community where pride for your surroundings was instilled. People who think differently didn't last too long there.
Instead of getting a chip on your shoulder, why not turn things around and require more of yourself? Why not want SA to be a clean, beautiful city that lures highly educated people to stay and contribute to our tax base?
I've no chip and I admire the lifestyle of old money. My comments are mostly favorable toward them and if you had been a member longer you would know.

My family has all moved near Huebner and DeZavala years ago. I have other family here and there, one uncle in Alamo Ranch, and another uncle who lives in not just any cookie cutter but the newest one he can find but he moved to the East Coast and doesn't keep in touch so who knows now.

I also despise violent, macho men be they gangbangers from down the block or tough gun nuts from the countryside so that is what I am against.

I do want SA to attract highly educated people. My only suggestion ever for Downtown is tear down the Dome and build a Uni.

Your mistake is believing that just because I oppose violence as a solution to graffiti that I must also fall under all these other categories. My advice is stereotype less if you want to be more accurate.

And when it comes to graffiti it is access to jobs, school, and transporation that will diminish it and not old men with guns.

This is why I support attracting good companies and not giving tax deferments to more hotels as our city was doing, building schools and making education in town better on all levels, and for better public transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio