U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2013, 07:05 PM

7 posts, read 8,087 times

Advertisements

Hello, my husband I will be making a military move to Fort Sam Houston in March, and plan to rent off base. I have done quite a bit of looking and research online, and it seems the majority suggest the NE area. I've found some great homes in the NE area, but I'm wondering about the NW or other areas as well. It looks like most of the good shopping areas are NE...am I wrong? And how is the drive from the NW to Ft. Sam and shopping (like Alamo Heights)? We don't have children, have 3 dogs and one cat (which always make it more difficult when we rent a home, though they are all house trained and well behaved), up to $1400/mo, would like about 2200-3000 sqft, fenced yard.

We appreciate any suggestions on good areas to look. I'll be making a home finding trip at the end of Feb, and hope to not need to criss-cross San Antonio for two days . Thanks for your suggestions!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 06:10 AM

993 posts, read 2,331,754 times
Alamo Heights is nice, but I don't think you can get in there with $1,400/month and 2,200-3,000 square feet.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:43 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,414,172 times
I would check online "apartment locators for San Antonio free ". Tell them
what area & price range that is close to Fort Sam. You don't have to
You already know that Alamo Heights can be $$....also the airport is nearby...
would the noise be ok or not ? Or the NW...which would be opposite of where
Ft Sam is..how do you cope with traffic ? Myself, Im pretty bad...I'm lucky
that I don't have to drive too far to work, especially on yucky days. But the
weather here is great...if you hate cold/snow...& like it hot...you'll love it here !

Old 01-25-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newk View Post
Alamo Heights is nice, but I don't think you can get in there with $1,400/month and 2,200-3,000 square feet.
Thank you for your input. We don't necessarily want to live in Alamo Heights, though I have noticed shopping near there is nice, and near Ft. Sam. We would really like Converse if possible...still looking!

Old 01-25-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchodrive View Post
I would check online "apartment locators for San Antonio free ". Tell them
what area & price range that is close to Fort Sam. You don't have to
You already know that Alamo Heights can be $$....also the airport is nearby...
would the noise be ok or not ? Or the NW...which would be opposite of where
Ft Sam is..how do you cope with traffic ? Myself, Im pretty bad...I'm lucky
that I don't have to drive too far to work, especially on yucky days. But the
weather here is great...if you hate cold/snow...& like it hot...you'll love it here !
Thank you, ranchodrive. I agree that NW may be a bit of a drive with traffic. We would like to be NE, such as Converse, Universal City, etc. We are in KY now, and I can't wait to be in TX's warm weather soon! We were stationed at Ft. Bliss (El Paso) a few years ago, and I miss the warmth. I hear it is more humid in SAT, but I'll take that over cold and ice.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:01 AM

34 posts, read 54,290 times
DO NOT move to NW side. Traffic is going to go against you with the drive (I go the opposite way and see it lined up on the other side of the median every weekday). I live not far from Ft Sam and it seems clean and safe, at least where I am. San Antonio is pretty cheap except for rents IMO. $1400 may be difficult.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:42 PM

Thank you, angieut01! That was was our major concern about the NW area (traffic). We will definitely try hard for NE area.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:30 AM

2,649 posts, read 6,947,434 times
Honestly there are homes that fit the bill in windcrest, royal ridge and Camelot I.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
Honestly there are homes that fit the bill in windcrest, royal ridge and Camelot I.
Thanks smuboy86. We have found quite a few good ones just north or NE of Ft. Sam with size/specs...just the question of landlords accepting our pets at this point. Home finding trip is set for late Feb w/ Coldwell Banker's rental people, and looks like they have a lot of avail homes.

Thanks to everyone for your input!

Old 01-30-2013, 09:27 AM

172 posts, read 220,701 times
You can also look just inside loop 1604 and east of 281, there are tons of good homes for rent here that meet your criteria and it's a pretty good area. Close to everything with limited traffic. Just stay away from North of 1604 near 281, that's stone oak land and it will be a) too pricey b) a pain to drive into during rush hour (although it has gotten better with the new 1604/281 interchange and super street)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio