U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 08:58 AM

3 posts, read 4,942 times

Advertisements

My hubby and I will be relocating in June/July and have our eye on this absolutely fabulous townhome which is very close to Sea World. He commutes to University Blvd, near UTSA and I will work from home sometimes but will also commute into (I think) Hill country village area.

I currently dredge through an hour plus, sometimes 2 in DC traffic for 26 miles and am hoping for MUCH less. He has been riding Metro, so if its more than say 20 minutes for him, I will never hear the end of it. Anyone travel this? Would it be better for him to come in on 1604 and then back down on 10 rather than 410 in and up 10 north against inbound traffic?

Or would it be better for us to just try and find a fabulous place in La Cantera or Stone Oak etc near the TPC golf course and the like...I'm in love with this place near Sea World though and they are brand new!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 09:10 AM

7,629 posts, read 15,047,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Texan65 View Post
My hubby and I will be relocating in June/July and have our eye on this absolutely fabulous townhome which is very close to Sea World. He commutes to University Blvd, near UTSA and I will work from home sometimes but will also commute into (I think) Hill country village area.

I currently dredge through an hour plus, sometimes 2 in DC traffic for 26 miles and am hoping for MUCH less. He has been riding Metro, so if its more than say 20 minutes for him, I will never hear the end of it. Anyone travel this? Would it be better for him to come in on 1604 and then back down on 10 rather than 410 in and up 10 north against inbound traffic?

Or would it be better for us to just try and find a fabulous place in La Cantera or Stone Oak etc near the TPC golf course and the like...I'm in love with this place near Sea World though and they are brand new!

TRUST ME....AFTER dealing with DC traffic, you will find what we here in Texas consider traffic a DREAM!!! Our daughter lives in Laurel, MD....her hubby teaches at Johns Hopkins applied Physicis so the decided to buy there for great schools and proximity to his campus. She is stationed at the Pentagon and has the NIGHTMARE commute. YOU will find, if you are use to 26 miles in DC, that our congested 1604 is NOTHING at all compaired to what you are use to...don't even have to ask you what time of day...because 10pm DC traffic is still worse that rush hour 1604 traffic.

I have found that those that "whine" the loudest about how "awful" our traffic is here have LITTLE to NO experience with how bad traffic can really be at other places.

Welcome to SA!

Old 01-27-2013, 09:31 AM

210 posts, read 461,238 times
Get the place you like by Sea World, your husband will have very little issues with traffic going down 1604 - And it really is just a straight forward drive down 1604 from Point A to Point B too.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:39 AM

500 posts, read 864,451 times
That area of 1604 may be a little congested, but you're only talking a small distance. 20 minutes would be absolutely MAX.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:10 AM

Thanks everyone! We look forward to much friendlier folks. My Daddy is Texan born and raised so I can't wait to get there and out of this horrible city!! Great to visit, wonderful history, but no one looks at each other, everyone is plugged into their electronic devices and customer service at restaurants and at retail shops are the worst here!!!

Old 01-27-2013, 10:15 AM

7,629 posts, read 15,047,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Texan65 View Post
Thanks everyone! We look forward to much friendlier folks. My Daddy is Texan born and raised so I can't wait to get there and out of this horrible city!! Great to visit, wonderful history, but no one looks at each other, everyone is plugged into their electronic devices and customer service at restaurants and at retail shops are the worst here!!!
WELCOME HOME half Texan, welcome home!!!

Old 01-27-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
TRUST ME....AFTER dealing with DC traffic, you will find what we here in Texas consider traffic a DREAM!!! Our daughter lives in Laurel, MD....her hubby teaches at Johns Hopkins applied Physicis so the decided to buy there for great schools and proximity to his campus. She is stationed at the Pentagon and has the NIGHTMARE commute. YOU will find, if you are use to 26 miles in DC, that our congested 1604 is NOTHING at all compaired to what you are use to...don't even have to ask you what time of day...because 10pm DC traffic is still worse that rush hour 1604 traffic.

I have found that those that "whine" the loudest about how "awful" our traffic is here have LITTLE to NO experience with how bad traffic can really be at other places.

Welcome to SA!
We live in Crystal City and I commute to the Dulles Tech Corridor by Dulles Airport, anything 395 near the Pentagon is going to be a nightmare for your daughter. I take 66/267 out which, in the morning, takes about 40 min in the morning, but the fastest way home is 123 to GW Parkway and it still takes (in ANY AMOUNT of rain or wrecks) over an hour to get home...hour and a half most nights.

God Bless Texas and our future home!

Old 01-27-2013, 03:26 PM

7,909 posts, read 10,144,246 times
He can also take 410 to that area. That's the way i usually go and it takes about the same amount of time. The biggest pain is the area closest to Sea World because of 151 and the lanes going down on 410. I'd take 410 any day over the mess of Bandera between Westover Hills on 1604. Now, 1604 for the community to HCV is another story. I'd take 1604 for that.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:18 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,495,713 times
Traffic here is cake compared to D.C.

There's no way I'd take 410/I10 to UTSA in the morning.

Seaworld area to just north of Bandera Road was around 20 minutes @ 5:30 a.m., you're driving further so it'll take longer to get there. My guess would be to plan for 30 minutes. That'll probably get you there a little early but allow for variable traffic, finding parking, walking to where you have to go, etc.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:15 AM

74 posts, read 154,766 times
Easy commute from Sea World to UTSA. Welcome to San Antonio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio