Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 11:00 PM

2 posts, read 9,989 times

Advertisements

Moved from Austin to San Antonio. San Antonio's great for a lot of reasons, but as a 25 year old educated guy, San Antonio is a rough place to meet degreed young women and that's putting it charitably.

They generally seem far and few in between no matter where you are in the city unless you're speaking of over 40's..

Anyone have any advice? Are there degreed young areas in this city or is it just sparse and you have to deal with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 04:18 AM

1,690 posts, read 3,617,197 times
Quote:
Moved from Austin to San Antonio. San Antonio's great for a lot of reasons, but as a 25 year old educated guy, San Antonio is a rough place to meet degreed young women and that's putting it charitably.
I've lived in Austin, now in San Antonio, in a similar situation to yours, and I can tell you it is just impossible here. Hopefully I am going to get out of here in a few years. Trinity University is about as close to what you can find in UT Austin in terms of the educated types, other than that I don't know what to tell you.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:23 AM

172 posts, read 238,527 times
Honestly, I am a 30 year old degreed guy, who graduated from my university at 21 years old, been in my work now for almost 9 years (making more than any 30 year old I know) and find it pretty shallow that you have to find a woman who is degreed. Having a degree does not necessarily make you smarter than anyone else, in fact I've met tons of morons who have degrees and a lot of people who are really smart (maybe not book smart) that are awesome people who never got a degree. All a degree does in this world is get the door open for you to try to get a job 100 other degreed people are going after, it should have no standing in meeting a girl to date/marry. Requiring a degree for a woman you are dating to me seems really shallow, get to know someone and then go from there, they aren't applying for a job with you.

Also in today's world, having a bachelors degree means almost nothing, they are the equivalent in the working world as a High School diploma was in the 60's. And I have found in the real world, experience trumps a degree about 90% of the time. Everyone I am working with in my job is in their 50's and has some sort of a MBA, I'm 30, have just a 4 year degree, but am looked at as the best out of the lot because of my experience and my natural smarts. All a degree / title truly means in this world is either a.) You had the support system to be able to go to a college b.) Your parents paid for your college c.) You busted your butt and pushed through college on your own without handouts working 40+ hours a week to get you through it. My world was C, but I also know people who had to take care of families illnesses or go to work right after high school to help their families get through tough financial times. I don't think of any of those people as less qualified to earn a date or relationship with me, they have a drive too, probably a stronger one, than those who choose a piece of paper over the support of their family or relationships.

Just so you know, I've lived several places, most of my life in Southern California, tons of women there who have degrees, who don't work, are entitled like you wouldn't believe, and will easily move on to the next guy who is making more money or more successful. So good luck with your relationships if your opening criteria is "You must have a degree"

Last edited by RJMorris82; 02-06-2013 at 07:53 AM..

Old 02-06-2013, 08:18 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,500,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJMorris82 View Post
Honestly, I am a 30 year old degreed guy, who graduated from my university at 21 years old, been in my work now for almost 9 years (making more than any 30 year old I know) and find it pretty shallow that you have to find a woman who is degreed. Having a degree does not necessarily make you smarter than anyone else, in fact I've met tons of morons who have degrees and a lot of people who are really smart (maybe not book smart) that are awesome people who never got a degree. All a degree does in this world is get the door open for you to try to get a job 100 other degreed people are going after, it should have no standing in meeting a girl to date/marry. Requiring a degree for a woman you are dating to me seems really shallow, get to know someone and then go from there, they aren't applying for a job with you.

Also in today's world, having a bachelors degree means almost nothing, they are the equivalent in the working world as a High School diploma was in the 60's. And I have found in the real world, experience trumps a degree about 90% of the time. Everyone I am working with in my job is in their 50's and has some sort of a MBA, I'm 30, have just a 4 year degree, but am looked at as the best out of the lot because of my experience and my natural smarts. All a degree / title truly means in this world is either a.) You had the support system to be able to go to a college b.) Your parents paid for your college c.) You busted your butt and pushed through college on your own without handouts working 40+ hours a week to get you through it. My world was C, but I also know people who had to take care of families illnesses or go to work right after high school to help their families get through tough financial times. I don't think of any of those people as less qualified to earn a date or relationship with me, they have a drive too, probably a stronger one, than those who choose a piece of paper over the support of their family or relationships.

Just so you know, I've lived several places, most of my life in Southern California, tons of women there who have degrees, who don't work, are entitled like you wouldn't believe, and will easily move on to the next guy who is making more money or more successful. So good luck with your relationships if your opening criteria is "You must have a degree"
Thank you for saving me the hassle of writing exactly what I wanted to say!

Old 02-06-2013, 09:00 AM

580 posts, read 1,429,603 times
This is a good--and fair--question. Of course it's wise to expand one's sphere of interaction beyond those with college degrees. But people in SA don't realize how "taken for granted" it is in much of the country to go to college, and even to finish in a relatively small amount of time. I'm from Chicago, and I don't think I had a single friend there without a college degree. Here, I have quite a few, as well as quite a few who finished in ten rather than four years. Of course, I also have friends here who have doctorates (as do I) as well as MA's.

SA has its own culture, and many of the folks you meet here are from here. Relative to other parts of the country, people aren't "expected" (as often) to get a college degree, to avoid children like the plague, or to avoid marrying at an early age. It's just the way it is--one can imagine having a good life without doing things that in other parts of the country seem par for the course. My number of friends here with kids (often without being married) is astounding relative to how many of my friends in Chicago had kids. The culture is different, although it's changing. All of that being said, my best friend here never finished college, and he had a kid when he was 18. I've met very few people in my life that I have a better connection with. He's one of the best read and well spoken people I know, and he's got a humor and sense of self-effacement that is uniquely San Antonio. We have a blast. I have a good handful of friends here like that, and I made no friends like that when I lived in Minneapolis--one of the "most educated" cities in the country. I find SA much more enjoyable.

There are a lot of degreed ladies in San Antonio, but they mix in with the rest such that it's hard to know "by looking." I've met plenty of people out on the town who are in college, with a BA, with one or two MAs, and even with (or working towards) a PhD. I'm always pleasantly surprised when I meet people like this. (That's my best advice for a new person in San Antonio: be prepared for pleasant surprises--and be open-minded!) There are thousands of graduate students at UTSA and UTHSC, and there are many degreed people working all over this city.

Personally, my scene is the artsy/indie rock crowd, and we tend to cluster around Tobin Hill and South Town. The Pearl area is great for meeting slightly more "accomplished" folks. (Often, they have a bit more cash, and if you really want to meet them, it might make sense to hang out in places where you NEED a bit more cash.) Alamo Heights is filled with degreed people, although it can feel quite insular. I have a ton of nice grad students who would love to meet a nice, educated guy, and they seem to hang out in these areas or, perhaps, close to UTSA. (Flying Saucer? La Cantera? I try not to socialize where they do, as it can be awkward.)

Keep trying, and keep an open mind. After spending a lot of time in Austin myself, I can say that I find it easier to meet people in SA. And because of the demographics, when you do meet a lady who's looking for an educated guy, there's a greater chance that she'll be really interested in you. In Austin, it's so much easier to get lost in the sea--people move there to be cool and hang around cool types, and there's always someone cooler than you! Here, genuine connections are much easier to make. Maybe I'm lucky, but that's been my experience.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:46 AM

810 posts, read 1,425,223 times
Quote:
find it pretty shallow that you have to find a woman who is degreed.
Not necessary shallow but rather “standards” one has. Of course those standards could be unrealistic – for both men and women.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:59 AM

4,433 posts, read 5,346,276 times
The Pearl
Candlelight
Silo
Southtown
The Quarry
La Cantera
The Vineyard
Cappy's
The McNay

Not to be rude but have you been looking? If so where?

Old 02-06-2013, 11:00 AM

172 posts, read 238,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro72 View Post
Not necessary shallow but rather “standards” one has. Of course those standards could be unrealistic – for both men and women.
Standards to me shouldn't = Degree, that is shallow. A standard should be Smart (Degree <> Smart).

Old 02-06-2013, 11:04 AM

810 posts, read 1,425,223 times
Quote:
Standards to me shouldn't = Degree, that is shallow. A standard should be Smart (Degree <> Smart).
I would agree if we pull back and look at the big picture but those are his standards, not yours. I don’t think it is too much to have “degreed” as part of one’s standards but for SA, it probably is.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:04 AM

1,647 posts, read 2,062,700 times
Who cares what the guy wants or why he wants this? It's not for us to decide. Let him "have at it". Don't know why it seems to bother some...live and let live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio