Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2013, 11:48 PM

2,570 posts, read 7,725,864 times

Advertisements

I cannot find a website for this school. I can't be that blonde! Who doesn't have any sort of "web presence" in this day and age??? Unless somehow I missed it.

Anyway, all I can find are a handful of reviews on the "Great Schools" rating site. Just wondering if any others here had any experiences or even if you've just heard something one way or another. I am still looking for alternatives for my 15 year old, in the event that he cannot get into ISA. He's not a troublemaker so I don't' want to put him in school with a bunch of troublemakers if you know what I mean, but we are open to a variety of alternatives, even considering K-12 online school maybe, I don't know. All I know is, his school is just not right for him anymore. He is very very bright and very very bored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 07:26 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,795,956 times
My daughter goes to online school at Connections Academy. It's definitely more challenging than her old school was. She was in GT classes at her last school, but we chose to do the regular classes until we could see how much work was involved, and I'm glad we did.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:38 PM

41 posts, read 69,839 times
Sorry, I don't have any information on Positive Solutions Charter School. But, have you looked at their rankings/test scores with the TEA? That might be helpful. Have you looked at other charter schools? You might went to look at SST (School of Science and Technology) -- on 410 near Nacogdoches. Also, there is Harmony Science Academy near 410 and 151.

I am looking at the STEM Academy for my son which is with the NEISD. It is from 6 to 12 grades. Not sure if you are in NEISD district though.

Good luck. I know how difficult it is to find the right school for your child.

Sherry

Old 02-08-2013, 09:58 AM

2,570 posts, read 7,725,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My daughter goes to online school at Connections Academy. It's definitely more challenging than her old school was. She was in GT classes at her last school, but we chose to do the regular classes until we could see how much work was involved, and I'm glad we did.
Is that the same as the K-12? Is there a local office or something? I checked into K-12 briefly, now they email me nonstop but I haven't investigated it much beyond that, I'll admit.

Do you think the online school is something I could leave a 15 year old to do without a ton of supervision? I'm not here all the time so I wonder. He is kind of a slacker-genius, I'm sure you know the type. He is in 10th grade, was advanced a year. Does your daughter's online school let her set the pace (within reason)? I'd like him to be able to blaze ahead if he were so inspired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryM78218 View Post
Sorry, I don't have any information on Positive Solutions Charter School. But, have you looked at their rankings/test scores with the TEA? That might be helpful. Have you looked at other charter schools? You might went to look at SST (School of Science and Technology) -- on 410 near Nacogdoches. Also, there is Harmony Science Academy near 410 and 151.

I am looking at the STEM Academy for my son which is with the NEISD. It is from 6 to 12 grades. Not sure if you are in NEISD district though.

Good luck. I know how difficult it is to find the right school for your child.

Sherry
Thanks. I haven't looked at the rankings for the Positive Solutions place. I just read that they are more "self paced" and apparently the kids go half days. And, it's close to us. Some of the others seem interesting but are pretty far away, so I've hesitated since we're a 1 car family (though he could do the VIA thing perhaps, depending on which routes). Also I guess I have been a bit soured on charter schools since we've encountered two now that were / are kind of awful, but I know it's not fair to paint them all with the same brush.

He's science-focused for sure, so I should check into those options more.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:05 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,795,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
Is that the same as the K-12? Is there a local office or something? I checked into K-12 briefly, now they email me nonstop but I haven't investigated it much beyond that, I'll admit.

Do you think the online school is something I could leave a 15 year old to do without a ton of supervision? I'm not here all the time so I wonder. He is kind of a slacker-genius, I'm sure you know the type. He is in 10th grade, was advanced a year. Does your daughter's online school let her set the pace (within reason)? I'd like him to be able to blaze ahead if he were so inspired.

Texas Connections doesn't have a local office, they're based in Houston. It's similiar to K-12, I looked into K-12 also but they were full for my daughter's grade when I looked into it. I have heard that K-12 offers more busywork, but TCAH has more opportunity to study things in depth, but that's just what I've heard from parents who have tried both. The way my daughter's school works is that we got a box of books at the beginning of the year, and stuff for science, math, art and PE. Every day she logs on and does the lessons in her planner. She has a couple of lessons that are done with the teacher and her class, using microphones (teacher has a webcam). Most of her work is multiple choice, online, but some of it we have to scan and submit. Every day, I have to check off her lessons as complete and record her attendance. Her teacher is supposed to call us every two weeks, but I've only spoken to her twice since school started (fine with me). My daughter is in 5th grade. Apparently in middle school, the student works more independently and there is less parental involvement necessary, and then in high school the student is pretty much doing it all on their own, at least that's what it said in the orientation materials I had to go through.

I don't know if your son could be left to do it on his own, it would depend on your son's motivation and study habits. I'm also not sure about working ahead...I know we were able to do that at the elementary level but I think in high school there are a lot more of the classes on the webcam. They have info sessions where you can talk to parents of kids who are already enrolled, it might be useful to talk to a parent or two of high school students. They've got some parent volunteers on the website: Contact an Texas Connections Academy Parent They also have a facebook page and you could ask there too. https://www.facebook.com/#!/TexasCon...cademy?fref=ts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio