Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 08:45 PM

447 posts, read 1,044,366 times

Advertisements

Retirement credits earned in most public-service jobs typically stop accruing when those employees come to work for the state, but thanks to his contract, Kidd’s have not. He had 17 years with the fire department when he took the state emergency management job. At 20 years, San Antonio firefighters can retire at 50 percent of their pay. For Kidd, that could amount to $70,000 or more.

This guy is a no show to work at SAFD and the taxpayers get to pay him 70,000 a year?

Outrageous!

DPS exec gets extra pay under special deal | www.statesman.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 09:06 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,555,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtexan99 View Post
Retirement credits earned in most public-service jobs typically stop accruing when those employees come to work for the state, but thanks to his contract, Kidd’s have not. He had 17 years with the fire department when he took the state emergency management job. At 20 years, San Antonio firefighters can retire at 50 percent of their pay. For Kidd, that could amount to $70,000 or more.

This guy is a no show to work at SAFD and the taxpayers get to pay him 70,000 a year?

Outrageous!

Our governor has "hired" quite a few people via contract, which results in lucrative payouts avoiding the state employee system which is much more restricted. Chief Kidd is one of many. Take it up with the governor.

[Disclosure: on a professional level, I have nothing but the highest praise for Chief Kidd. He is clearly the best person for the job, without question. And it's an insanely big job. Contracts are the way this administration works. I've seen it up close and personal. ]

Old 02-13-2013, 05:58 AM

Interesting. I don't know Mr. Kidd, but if he is not in San Antonio, at a Fire Station, fighting fires, then he should NOT be accruing retirement credits that the taxpayers of San Antonio will have to pay for.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:30 AM

1,510 posts, read 2,963,381 times
I have met Chief Kidd several times in recent years (when he was head of SAOEM and in his current role in state EM). He's a solid professional who knows emergency management. To be honest, I wouldn't want anyone else conducting emergency management in TX. Yes, the loopholes are there, but I wouldn't slam Chief Kidd for it. It's an awfully big job to do...

--Dim

Old 02-13-2013, 07:48 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,776,563 times
Honestly I don't care if he is a good person or not if he is getting paid taxpayer money for a local job that he is not even performing locally at the moment.

If he was actually in San Antonio doing something, then that is a different story.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:54 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
Honestly I don't care if he is a good person or not if he is getting paid taxpayer money for a local job that he is not even performing locally at the moment.

If he was actually in San Antonio doing something, then that is a different story.
OTOH, the San Antonio taxpayers are being reimbursed in full by the state for his salary. I'm sure the city is backfilling the role that he used to fill with someone else. So it isn't really an issue that local officials need to account for.

I agree with Chaka above. Take it up with the state.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:58 AM

I really don't think this is a state issue. It's a local one. When Mr. Kidd retires, after accruing retirement credits for a job he was not doing, the taxpayers of San Antonio, not the state, are going to be paying his retirement. For life. Enough of this feeding at the taxpayer trough.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:07 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
I really don't think this is a state issue. It's a local one. When Mr. Kidd retires, after accruing retirement credits for a job he was not doing, the taxpayers of San Antonio, not the state, are going to be paying his retirement. For life. Enough of this feeding at the taxpayer trough.
Can you say for certain that he won't someday come back and work 3 more years in his job with the city to qualify for the half-pay retirement?

Old 02-13-2013, 08:32 AM

265 posts, read 534,503 times
I first met Nimm Kidd when he was a volunteer firefighter in La Vernia. Once at SAFD he rose through the ranks alarmingly fast. It was clear that he was being groomed for greater things as he schmoozed with all of the right people.

He shouldn't be accruing SAFD longevity, as he is not on the city clock or conducting business for the City of San Antonio and the Fire Department, but as I can understand it, he can BUY service credit to make him eligible.

I am happy that of all candidates to be considered for the top position at the GDEM, the one selected hails from the San Antonio area. However, Nimm Kidd is no Jack Colley. (RIP)

Old 02-13-2013, 08:56 AM

475 posts, read 1,094,043 times
Quote:

Outrageous!

It is not fraud if it is legal. But just because it may be legal, does not mean it is moral. What are we all willing to do about this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio