U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 10:05 PM

2,570 posts, read 7,236,808 times

Advertisements

Okay and a funny little story too. We were in Chicago in 2011. I had not been since I was a little kid, the rest of the family had never been. So of course the first thing they wanna do is go try "real Chicago style deep dish pizza" that'd they'd heard/read about. We looked up some place online and went their first, before we even checked into our hotel. It was very good but pretty ridiculously expensive.

At the end of the trip (after a week in Iowa) we ended up kind of stranded in downtown Chicago right by the Amtrak station (long story). So we spent a night there that we had not planned on spending. We got some really good last minute room rate (and I mean LAST minute, big panic) at the Congress Hotel. BY this time we were running out of trip money, and we ordered cheap pizza from a flyer found at the hotel. Wouldn't ya know it was actually BETTER than the sit down dinner pizza we'd had the first night, and half the cost! Also deep dish.

So all of that is my long winded way of asking y'all if you know of any good, deep dish style pizza places locally that also deliver AND are not pricey. Delivery is not a 'must' though. Just prefer good and not high dollar.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 10:32 PM

172 posts, read 220,552 times
Will be really hard that is good and cheap. Personally I love Kennedys Chicago Pizza.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:49 PM

4,132 posts, read 6,633,331 times
I'm afraid to go to this place. All the reviews are either really great or really bad.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:57 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,042,355 times
Make your own. It's cheap and you can adjust the recipe to suit your personal taste. I've made dozens of these and my friends from Chicago say that they are better than the "real" thing.

Malnati Deep Dish with Semolina

Old 02-12-2013, 11:23 PM

358 posts, read 765,325 times
There is no authentic Chicago style deep dish pizzeria in San Antonio. You can give Kennedy's a try, but then compare what you get there to the photos in the link DerpyDerp posted and you'll see what I mean. Not saying Kennedy's is bad, but it's not true Chicago style.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:23 PM

2,570 posts, read 7,236,808 times
Well when we ended up ordering that night in Chicago, it was priced about equal to Pizza Hut. That was nice.

We might try making it here at home, we do everything that way though and sometimes you just wanna pick up the phone for delivery. Our problem is, we are all pretty picky abut pizza. My spouse worked at a chain pizza place for years and we got to where we hated it! So we prefer something out of the norm for sure.

I am very weird (or so I am told) in that I don't like standard pizza sauce (tomato based). I vastly prefer what my son calls "yuppie pizza" , you know, pizza with chicken and garlic sauce, feta cheese and veggies, that sort of thing. I also love a good "white" pizza (Florio's in AH!) and when others insist on ordering the standard chain pepperoni pizza I usually just try and get a sandwich instead because I really can't stand it. I even prefer that super cheap CiCi's "zesty" pepperoni that has no red sauce over Pizza Hut. Crazy I know.

For some reason though, I've liked the sauce on the deep dish pizzas I've had, probably fresh or different recipe or both? IDK.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:08 AM

52 posts, read 87,474 times
AFAIK, there isnt an actual *authentic* chicago pizzeria in SA. as with any food, you get what you pay for, so price is something that, while you should consider, it should be somewhat down there on the priority list.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:18 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,567,093 times
You can't really 'make' Chicago style at home unless you've got the exact oven needed to bake, the water supply that the Chicago metro has and other ingredients that come from likely Chicagoland suppliers. Don't get me wrong: You can make a lovely facsimile, but it's just not what you're going to get from the original Uno, Due or Genos.

In San Antonio, we have no decent Chicago-style pie. Kennedy's is pure poser (and yes, I'm a native Chicagoan). We do, however, have some fantastic Chicago Italian dipped beef and hotdog places... That gets me by

BN

Old 02-15-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
Okay and a funny little story too. We were in Chicago in 2011. I had not been since I was a little kid, the rest of the family had never been. So of course the first thing they wanna do is go try "real Chicago style deep dish pizza" that'd they'd heard/read about. We looked up some place online and went their first, before we even checked into our hotel. It was very good but pretty ridiculously expensive.

At the end of the trip (after a week in Iowa) we ended up kind of stranded in downtown Chicago right by the Amtrak station (long story). So we spent a night there that we had not planned on spending. We got some really good last minute room rate (and I mean LAST minute, big panic) at the Congress Hotel. BY this time we were running out of trip money, and we ordered cheap pizza from a flyer found at the hotel. Wouldn't ya know it was actually BETTER than the sit down dinner pizza we'd had the first night, and half the cost! Also deep dish.

So all of that is my long winded way of asking y'all if you know of any good, deep dish style pizza places locally that also deliver AND are not pricey. Delivery is not a 'must' though. Just prefer good and not high dollar.

Thanks!

But where did you initially have the deep dish? As with anything in life, it's about the details of the experience. Not everyplace that says they have 'real' Chicago deep dish actually serves it well.

You've got to read reviews and make informed decisions: Too many places in Chitown are now all serving 'the best' pie in the city.

BN

Old 02-15-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Genos
I should have my Chicago card taken away for this misspell. Aye.

That's GINOS. Gino's East Chicago

BN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio