Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 09:01 PM

5 posts, read 16,524 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys!

I currently, and have for all my life, live in the High Desert of Southern California. (Mojave, Palmdale, about 80 miles north of LA).

I am quite ok with the weather here, in the summer we have reached 120* buts it normally around 98-101 and in the winter we get to 13* sometimes colder at night and an average of 50* during the day. Along with that there is no spring or fall. It's either hot or cold and I am very much used to this weather.

I am joining the military and quite frankly I am done with California, our crackpot gun laws and immoral and sick residents.

I have given a lot of thought to where I want to live after I get out (I am seriously considering a full 20 years as to have retirement) and the hill country north of San Antonio seems like my kind of place.

My goal is to buy property soon and pay it off while I am in the military and build on the property when I retire.

I do have some questions though. Mainly about the weather:

Like I said, I like out weather out west and I am not afraid of the heat, it's rather the humidity that I am worried about. Can anyone give me advice to the difference of weather between the high desert of so cal and the hill country of Texas?

I realize the the higher the elevation the cooler and less humid.

Any advice?

Thanks Guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 04:34 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,874,074 times
The Hill Country is really beautiful especially if you have some ranch land with a creek or river running through it. I recommend Comfort.

They can have terrible cold snaps or lovely weather that totally misses SA.

Just keep in mind that demographics of the Hill Country, at least in New Braunfels, are rapidly changing so the political climate can expect changes in the upcoming years as we in San Antonio have already been experiencing them.

Comal on front line of immigration debate - San Antonio Express-News

It is a big place though but development is making it smaller on all fronts it seems.

http://www.texashillcountry.com/TXHillCountry.jpg

Old 02-16-2013, 08:44 AM

500 posts, read 968,975 times
I have lived north of San Antonio for over 20 years. My brother lived in Lancaster for many years. The two are somewhat similar in terms of weather, but I will say that the hill country is more humid. It's less humid than San Antonio because of the elevation, but it's not the Antelope Valley. It's semi-arid, compared to Lancasters' extremely arid. It's not unusual to see humidity ranges in the 90's here. We don't cool off as much in summer evenings like you do. Lows in August would still be in the mid 70's to low 80's. We don't get very cold in the winter though. 6 straight days highs in the low 20's is about as bad as I've ever seen here. We do have spring and fall here with mild temps.

The months of July-September can be a bit stifling with temps over 100. I live 20 miles north of the Airport, and we tend to be 5-8 degrees cooler than SAT. Some of that is elevation, some of it is that we don't have the "concrete jungle" effect. We see much more rain than the high desert of CA. Last year I had 28" of rain compared to close to 40" in San Antonio.

Personally, I would suggest you visit here in August for a week to see if you're up to the heat and humidity.

As far as political climate, you'll be happy in the hill country if you subscribe to traditional conservative values. We see plenty ex-Californians coming in who feel the same as you, and they seem to adjust well to the area. Due to the recent real estate downturn, it's a good time to buy. We didn't experience anywhere near the fallout in prices like California though.

I'm sure you do realize that the military bases are in San Antonio. It can be up to an hour commute from where I live.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:07 AM

862 posts, read 865,230 times
The weather in Texas is really nothing like southern California. Much more humid. Some CA transplants are happy here others are miserable, depends on how open minded you are. The predominant winds here are SE off the Gulf of Mexico which means warm, humid air most of the year. The further into the Hill Country and West Texas you get the less humid. There are some nice towns in West Texas and the Panhandle that would probably make you feel at home. Check out Lubbock, Amarillo, Midland/Odessa. Do some research on Texas, make a list of places and then come visit.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:33 AM

I am definitely conservative so that shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for that comparison, I am definitely coming to visit for a while before I make up my mind and buy property.

What areas in the pan handle near Amarillo have nice rural rolling hills and trees?

I can assume then the humidity is about like Charlotte, NC in the summer?

Thanks again guys.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:46 AM

Amarillo is in the plains. There aren't any hills to speak of other than Palo Duro Canyon 20 miles to the SW. Not even sure if there are any habitable areas around it. Others might know. Not really a "tree" area.

We're less humid than Charlotte NC

Old 02-16-2013, 09:50 AM

Yeah. I am really drawn to the green trees. I know the greener the more humid but that's something I might have do deal with.

My grandfather owns land near Charlotte and there summers are bearable.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:16 AM

Not to be overly dramatic, but

Amarillo:
Weather in Hill Country vs Southern California.-amarillo.jpg

View from my backyard in the hill country:
Weather in Hill Country vs Southern California.-529996839hwwgat_ph.jpg
Weather in Hill Country vs Southern California.-510392566kdihij_ph.jpg

Old 02-16-2013, 10:19 AM

Haha. I like that. Hill country is truly beautiful. I think as long as I have central air and a nice pool I will be fine.

I will be in San Antonio at Lackland AFB for several months later this year. So I will venture out into hill country and see how I like it.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:23 AM

318 posts, read 570,199 times
I would say the summer weather in the Hill Country can get a little hotter than Charlotte on average, but the humidity is slightly less. Overall, probably comparable on a "heat index" scale.

Note that land near Boerne and Fredericksburg and closer to Austin is the most expensive in the area. Having a live stream or river on the property greatly increases the cost. Some large lot (think 3-20 acres) neighborhoods have community access to a river without the high cost of actually owning your property directly on water. I would suggest areas outside Kerrville from Ingram and Hunt down to Medina and Leakey. Kerrville is the last sizable town in the Hill Country as you head west on Interstate 10 and offers grocery stores, restaurants, a hospital and many other amenities and you would still be within an hour of San Antonio. It is beautiful country with friendly people and none of the craziness that you experience in California.

Best wishes in your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio