Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 09:00 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,475,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
Most incorporated cities have their own, 24/7 police departments. Your argument is the exception, not the rule.
I said that there are several small cities that depend on BCSO and outside fire departments, which is true. You're just looking for any reason to argue about law enforcement like usual.

Quote:
And again, for those cities that are deficient, they have to pay for those services. I also need to note, police back up police, no matter where. Of course, larger agencies are going to end up backing up smaller agencies more than the other way around, because of simple math, how else could it possibly work? An agency with two officers on duty is not going to rack up "agency assists" as fast as an agency with 100 officers on duty. Again, that is just math.
What does that have to do with anything? There are still several police departments that heavily depend on BCSO for cover. Calls that require two officers come up on a regular basis. So, if their goal is a faster response time, then they aren't achieving it by depending on BCSO. Again, you're just looking for a reason to argue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 09:05 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,499,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I said that there are several small cities that depend on BCSO and outside fire departments, which is true. You're just looking for any reason to argue about law enforcement like usual.

What does that have to do with anything? There are still several police departments that heavily depend on BCSO for cover. Calls that require two officers come up on a regular basis. So, if their goal is a faster response time, then they aren't achieving it by depending on BCSO. Again, you're just looking for a reason to argue.

I am telling you how it is. You are telling us about exceptions, not the rule. I am hanging my hat on the way it works, most of the time, in most places.

You are bringing up exceptions in an effort to challenge my statements.

I think it is a far more fair and obvious arguement that you are looking for a reason to argue than I am. I did, in fact make my statements first. I very much so still stand by them.

Most smaller cities have faster response times. That is a true statement. Why? Because most incorporated cities of any size have a 24/7 department. Most small cities are....small, so there is the geographic advantage and most small cities have a lower call volume.

The results of that are, You will have an available officer, who is close, when you need him. End of story. The exceptions you can find, and there are exceptions, dont change that truth.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:18 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,987,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
Sorry if you choose not to believe it, but at least in Dallas that's not the way it works. Dallas even has billboards that say " live in Dallas Shop in Dallas, it pays". Referring to the lost tax revenue to the suburbs. So all though you may believe it's "weak" the city of Dallas doesn't, and I trust their studies more than you anecdotes.
Which is just one of many reasons why I don't live in Dallas!

But if you'll notice, we're talking about San Antonio here and those aren't issues in this case.

I honestly couldn't care less about Dallas or its studies, but I understand why people wouldn't want to go there. I don't.

Maybe the could start by making it a bit more attractive to get people to come to the city Naw, instead they'd rather **** and moan, and do studies about the problem.

Problem is, Dallas is the problem!

Old 02-24-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
I am telling you how it is. You are telling us about exceptions, not the rule. I am hanging my hat on the way it works, most of the time, in most places.

You are bringing up exceptions in an effort to challenge my statements.

I think it is a far more fair and obvious arguement that you are looking for a reason to argue than I am. I did, in fact make my statements first. I very much so still stand by them.

Most smaller cities have faster response times. That is a true statement. Why? Because most incorporated cities of any size have a 24/7 department. Most small cities are....small, so there is the geographic advantage and most small cities have a lower call volume.

The results of that are, You will have an available officer, who is close, when you need him. End of story. The exceptions you can find, and there are exceptions, dont change that truth.
There are several exceptions, especially when it comes to fire departments. It's not like it's just one or two cities. I would estimate that a third or more of the cities in the county depend on another agency for police, fire, and/or dispatch services. You pointed out one side of being a small, incorporated city and I pointed out the other. My post was in response to the thread in general. If I wanted to directly respond to you, I would have quoted you. I still stand by my statements because they are true.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:28 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,440,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Which is just one of many reasons why I don't live in Dallas!

But if you'll notice, we're talking about San Antonio here and those aren't issues in this case.

I honestly couldn't care less about Dallas or its studies, but I understand why people wouldn't want to go there. I don't.

Maybe the could start by making it a bit more attractive to get people to come to the city Naw, instead they'd rather **** and moan, and do studies about the problem.

Problem is, Dallas is the problem!
Right,San Antonio doesn't have that problem because of its strong annexation policy. It didn't let it's bedroom communities get out of hand. Which was the point of the thread. San Antonio doesn't let it's suburbs leach off it, it annexes them before they can grow. Making sure it retains the tax revenue. The knee jerk reaction here is making things confused I think.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
There are several exceptions, especially when it comes to fire departments. It's not like it's just one or two cities. I would estimate that a third or more of the cities in the county depend on another agency for police, fire, and/or dispatch services. You pointed out one side of being a small, incorporated city and I pointed out the other. My post was in response to the thread in general. If I wanted to directly respond to you, I would have quoted you. I still stand by my statements because they are true.
Fire and Police...a third...no. Actual boots on the ground Police and fire personel, no. They draw on other agencies from time to time, but in general, handle most of their own business most of the time. With fire deparments in particular, interagency work flows in all directions, it is simply the nature of the beast. If something is on fire....that needs to be stopped before it effects a larger area.

Dispatch is not the same thing at all and doesnt prove a point about Police and Fire services to the public. In many places, all over the country, Dispatch is often a paid centralized, multi-agency issue. In many areas, even DPS, uses the local dispatch. And in other cases, some agencies want their own dispatch. dispatch, where ever it comes from is a commodity. It has to be paid for and is fairly modular. You can do it yourself or farm it out but the results are similar.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:39 PM

381 posts, read 768,135 times
Quote:
I don't know why you modified my post in your quote. The "which" without a comma meant that it was in response to the subject directly preceeding it. In other words, I was describing the unincorporated northeast side which has been in the news lately for being trashy. Anyway, I didn't even mention the far northwest side in my post. I mentioned the far west side.
I'm sorry that I miss understood your post. I thought that for some reason when you said the far west side, I thought you meant the far nw side. I also modified your post by mistake, since I was using my phone and didn't notice that my cursor jumped into your quote.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Fire and Police...a third...no. Actual boots on the ground Police and fire personel, no. They draw on other agencies from time to time, but in general, handle most of their own business most of the time. With fire deparments in particular, interagency work flows in all directions, it is simply the nature of the beast. If something is on fire....that needs to be stopped before it effects a larger area.

Dispatch is not the same thing at all and doesnt prove a point about Police and Fire services to the public. In many places, all over the country, Dispatch is often a paid centralized, multi-agency issue. In many areas, even DPS, uses the local dispatch. And in other cases, some agencies want their own dispatch. dispatch, where ever it comes from is a commodity. It has to be paid for and is fairly modular. You can do it yourself or farm it out but the results are similar.
Why is it so hard to understand police, fire, and/or dispatch? That means that municipalities depend on another agency for one, two, or all services. Dispatch does affect response times. BCSO was in the news for taking up to 10 min. to answer 911 calls. If you're on the non-emergency line, you can wait upwards of 20 min. When the large police agency is busy dispatching a major incident, lower priorty calls can take longer to dispatch. Shavano Park has switched dispatch providers a few times for this very reason.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Why is it so hard to understand police, fire, and/or dispatch? That means that municipalities depend on another agency for one, two, or all services. Dispatch does affect response times. BCSO was in the news for taking up to 10 min. to answer 911 calls. If you're on the non-emergency line, you can wait upwards of 20 min. When the large police agency is busy dispatching a major incident, lower priorty calls can take longer to dispatch. Shavano Park has switched dispatch providers a few times for this very reason.

You keep dancing. Whatever.

You said this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210
the point was that many cities do not provide their own making void the faster response time argument.
That is a false statement. Smaller agencies(municipal, as we are talking about in this thread), on average, enjoy a faster response time. Exceptions dont change that.

I have posted why that is. If you want to keep moving the goal posts, go ahead but your initial claim in response to what I said is false.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
You keep dancing. Whatever.

That is a false statement. Smaller agencies(municipal, as we are talking about in this thread), on average, enjoy a faster response time. Exceptions dont change that.
You keep dancing talking about irrelevant things such as paying for services. Yes, smaller agencies enjoy faster response times when they have and depend on their own agencies. I was clearly referring to those that depend on other agencies, so my statement is not false.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio