Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 08:54 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,876,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
City officials did not indicate which neighborhoods are most ripe for early annexation, saying the new annexation plan allows for existing developed neighborhoods to be annexed, and also for the annexation of empty land, industrial property, and other types of areas.

In the decade since the city annexed neighborhoods, the uninhabited Government Canyon Recreational Areas was annexed in 2006, the population of unincorporated Bexar County has boomed, with more than 300,000 people living in Bexar County outside of any city limits.
City of San Antonio to Resume Annexations | WOAI LOCAL NEWS - NewsRadio 1200 WOAI, San Antonio

Hopefully we won't become the 5th largest city in the US anytime soon...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 09:03 AM

4,434 posts, read 5,347,238 times
The City should focus on land they already annexed and should continue to modernize our traffic grid before they go "gobbling" up more land.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:42 PM

490 posts, read 1,094,755 times
Say what you will about how well the city does, but at least cities have the power to regulate development that counties don't, the consequences of which are obvious...everytime your in the county. It's a mess.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:54 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
I think the extra taxes for me would amount to about $300 per year. I'd be happy to pay it if it meant we'd have city emergency services and not have to deal with the sheriff's department if we have an emergency.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:51 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,475,795 times
I'm sorry, but the unincorporated part of the county is a mess. The city could start by annexing the densely populated far westside and northeast side which has been in the news lately for looking like a third world country. Not only does the county not have the power to properly regulate these areas, but it also doesn't have the resources to fully deal with the crime and other emergency issues as mentioned above.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:23 AM

282 posts, read 341,746 times
We live up in the Canyon Springs area, probably no more than three or four blocks outside the city limits. Years ago, maybe five or six, the city was very close to annexing our area. I think we were just months away from annexation when a court case was filed and some mistake was found in the annexation paperwork. I don't remember all the details but as I recall the mistake meant the city had to start what was at least then a four or five year process all over again. To the best of my knowledge they've never done that, at least our sizable HOA hasn't mentioned it recently. As for tax increases as a result of annexation....well that's hard to determine and at least during the last go around the naysayers were putting out increases like $2,000 to $3,000 a year, certainly not $300 a year. I guess the true increase is probably somewhere in that range. Personally I'm not sure what we'd get by being part of the city other than the obvious police and fire and in ten years here neither of those have been an issue.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:52 AM

475 posts, read 1,094,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyk47 View Post
We live up in the Canyon Springs area, probably no more than three or four blocks outside the city limits. Years ago, maybe five or six, the city was very close to annexing our area. I think we were just months away from annexation when a court case was filed and some mistake was found in the annexation paperwork. I don't remember all the details but as I recall the mistake meant the city had to start what was at least then a four or five year process all over again. To the best of my knowledge they've never done that, at least our sizable HOA hasn't mentioned it recently. As for tax increases as a result of annexation....well that's hard to determine and at least during the last go around the naysayers were putting out increases like $2,000 to $3,000 a year, certainly not $300 a year. I guess the true increase is probably somewhere in that range. Personally I'm not sure what we'd get by being part of the city other than the obvious police and fire and in ten years here neither of those have been an issue.
The city tax rate is just over 0.5% (closer to 0.57%) of assessed value, so just divide the assessed value of your house by 200 to get a ballpark figure for the tax increase. Off a $200,000 house, it would be ~$1,000 more in taxes each year.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:52 AM

4,327 posts, read 7,234,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyk47 View Post
As for tax increases as a result of annexation....well that's hard to determine and at least during the last go around the naysayers were putting out increases like $2,000 to $3,000 a year, certainly not $300 a year. I guess the true increase is probably somewhere in that range. Personally I'm not sure what we'd get by being part of the city other than the obvious police and fire and in ten years here neither of those have been an issue.
If the assessed value of your property (according to BCAD) is in the $350,000-$500,000 range, then yes, $2,000-$3,000 per year in City tax is what you can expect.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:18 AM

282 posts, read 341,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
If the assessed value of your property (according to BCAD) is in the $350,000-$500,000 range, then yes, $2,000-$3,000 per year in City tax is what you can expect.
Can't say I'm excited about paying that much for what wouldn't be a significant increase in services. Many of the communities up this way are gated and guarded so it's not like additional police protection would be all that much of a gain. The fire protection would be nice and indeed there's a station on Evans just south of Stone Oak so they're close. $2,000 to $3,000 nice? Hmmm........

Old 02-23-2013, 09:54 PM

381 posts, read 768,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I'm sorry, but the unincorporated part of the county is a mess. The city could start by annexing the densely populated far westside side which has been in the news lately for looking like a third world country. Not only does the county not e the power to properly regulate these areas, but it also doesn't have the resources to fully deal with the crime and other emergency issues as mentioned above.
Third World country? Can you please elaborate? So the area around AR looks like a third world country? Is that what you are talking about with your blanket statement? I came from a third world country, and know first hand what a real third world country looks like. And it's nothing like the far northwest, if that is what you are talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio