Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 07:33 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,620,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy01 View Post
I assure you that my post is real. Believe me I would not make this up. It took a lot of guts for me to post this on a public forum. I surely hope people on here won't be disparaging or say snarky things. Yes, I'm 33 years old and I have never driven car. I'm not looking to get into why or this or that. I just need advice. Are there any schools which help adults who have never driven? What's my first step? Can you give me any advice or tips?
You have been given very good advise about learning how to drive.

But please remember this...

Even if you have the right of way...don't assume...take care & drive
defensively...Good Luck to you !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 02:27 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,987,904 times
The first thing I would do is look over the driving instruction booklet, if you haven't done so already. The driving schools would want ya to have a Texas drivers permit. That requires taking a written test. You might call the driving schools and see if there is a way ya can do it all through them. Just make sure there aren't any extra fees. I agree about the teacher being a big factor in the ease of learning. Maybe someone else knows of a specific school used by a friend or even a specific teacher used?

They have these online programs to get a permit or DL then whan ya pass that go to their second part of the course with a driving instructor. That's another option.
https://driversed.com/courses/driver...aspx?id=dmv_01

TxDPS - Your Texas Drivers License / ID

This school has been around for 30 years.
Home Page

Good Luck!

Old 02-25-2013, 03:33 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,618,395 times
My mom forced me to take driving lessons when I was 17 and had a terrible terrible driving instructor, the worst ever, so I refused to drive again until I was 30, so no, you are not alone, but get a good teacher you like, not one who just keeps yelling stuff at you while you are driving.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:59 PM

382 posts, read 721,873 times
No need to feel like a freak. Although I had driven briefly (and poorly) when I was 17, I only got my license at the tender age of 37! The most important thing is feeling comfortable with the process and trusting your reactions and abilities. To get a feel for the mechanics of driving, you have to invest in driving school hours, or, even better, drive along with a friend, preferably someone not too high-strung ! Also, familiarize yourself with the handbook, and be patient with your progress.

I was a nervous beginner (I failed the driving test the first time), but I've now driven in New York City, Miami, and all sorts of challenging environments. I'm a good driver, if I don't say so myself! One thing that convinced me to get my license and enjoy the freedom it affords was looking at how many people (some of them not too bright!) can drive --- be confident! Good luck!

Old 02-26-2013, 01:08 AM

3 posts, read 13,674 times
Wow, you guys are absolutely wonderful. Thank you so much for all the comments and suggestions. I do have a some friends who could teach me, I just don't want to ruin their car lol. I will also look into driving schools as well.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:11 AM

3 posts, read 13,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IngramWindsorfan82 View Post
LOL don't feel bad... Same here. I'm 30 and haven't driven at all either and don't know how to. I was paralyzed from the waist down at 19 and so now I'll have to learn with hand controls so I've just been puting it off and taking the bus or getting rides but I think I'm going to take the plunge pretty soon. Getting tired of not being able to go where I want when I want.
I hope you do go for it. I really feel like it's my time to do it now. This year I really want to get it done.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:35 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,744,488 times
Quote:
Wow, you guys are absolutely wonderful. Thank you so much for all the comments and suggestions. I do have a some friends who could teach me, I just don't want to ruin their car lol. I will also look into driving schools as well.
If your friends are helping, I think it's best to start out kind of rural or in a very low traffic area, until you get comfortable.

My son's driver's ed program kind of put him in heavy traffic from the get-go, and they use Mustangs for their instruction vehicles! Bad combination, now he is all freaked out in general about driving. As others have said, be choosy about who teaches you, pick someone calm who can stay calm. The worst thing is someone who freaks out and yells.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:48 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,456,953 times
Quote:
I hope you do go for it. I really feel like it's my time to do it now. This year I really want to get it done.
GOOD for you!! Your world will be GREATLY enhanced when you have the freedom of mobility. You also have some age and wisdom under your belt by this age...do you have ANY idea how many people have LOST THEIR LICENSE by this age for young, impulsive, "hold my beer and watch this" kind of actions??? Sadly, to many...both their license and their lives.

DRIVING SCHOOL IS SOOO WORTH THE MONEY. When I took my CDL course and passed, I was so very excited! My hubby told me "I told you earlier you were a great shot"....but I NEEDED to hear it from someone who taught me all the safety aspects involved...not just someone that LOVE me and HAS to tell me because they don't want to hurt my feelings!

Old 02-26-2013, 07:10 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,744,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
GOOD for you!! Your world will be GREATLY enhanced when you have the freedom of mobility. You also have some age and wisdom under your belt by this age...do you have ANY idea how many people have LOST THEIR LICENSE by this age for young, impulsive, "hold my beer and watch this" kind of actions??? Sadly, to many...both their license and their lives.

DRIVING SCHOOL IS SOOO WORTH THE MONEY. When I took my CDL course and passed, I was so very excited! My hubby told me "I told you earlier you were a great shot"....but I NEEDED to hear it from someone who taught me all the safety aspects involved...not just someone that LOVE me and HAS to tell me because they don't want to hurt my feelings!
This is very true, about younger people. I started driving way too early, to be honest, and I was a stupid and fearless "invulnerable" teen with a deadly weapon. Scary to think how many times I risked my life (and that of my friends) with my teenaged driving! My first car was a Camaro! I had been driving for long before that though and I was cocky and overly confident.

I have actually questioned the wisdom of the age at which we normally start people out driving, considering all that is also going on for them at that age.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:40 AM

184 posts, read 462,216 times
Nothing against anyone but I can't understand why you would not want the freedom to drive at 16. I got my permit at 15 thanks to my dad pushing it and am so glad he did, I had to learn the hard too on a standard. I have 2 kids 12 and 11 and when the time comes I know I will be pushing them to get their DL.
With that being said once you do get your DL enjoy the freedom you are going to love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: