Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 08:51 AM

31 posts, read 44,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Kerrville can be a pleasant, sleepy little town but there really isn't all that much to do there in comparison to San Antonio or Austin. A city will simply have more options than Kerrville.

On a personal note, I wouldn't purchase anything from Kerrville businesses because when I went to the chicken wing place on the main drag, they were extremely rude to me for no reason before I even opened my mouth to order any food. It just left me with a negative image of the whole place.

I hope people visiting Kerrville won't base their purchasing decisions on such anecdotal evidence. Seriously, not only do you base your decision, you make the recommendation that no one should buy anything in Kerrville because one Chicken Wing restaurant employee treated you rudely...before you even opened your mouth. If that were true, which I doubt, I suspect one or both of you had woken up on the wrong side of the bed. Stuff happens, especially to people with negative attitudes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 09:27 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,939 times
He posted that almost 3 years ago, let it go, he probably has.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:36 PM

950 posts, read 1,259,768 times
Haven't been up there in years. I'm in Schertz.You can what to the YMCA and library and Arlen's Market. I can walk to all three and the city park is just down the street. Our down town area is small though. We do have a jazz festival plus Schertz Fest and a big Fourth of July festival and Good Shepherd Catholic Church always does at festival at the park. We have a Senior Center and the city is building a natatorium. I live in the older part of town so it's easy for me to walk places.
If I want to go to Walmart , or H.E.B.Plus or Lowe's etc.I do have to drive. The whole area here is expanding. You can drive to New Braunfels and go to Schlitterbahn the famous waterpark and Gruene which is a little town that's part of New Braunfels that has antique shops Guadalupe Valley Winery and other things. Landa Park is very nice and it has a nice downtown as well. NOt sure on the cost of homes,since I paid off my parents home ages ago and only pay property taxes. There are all kinds of companies have distribution warehouses etc. out here so the Guadalupe County property taxes maybe lower than Kerr Countybut not sure.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:06 PM

31 posts, read 44,634 times
Letting go has nothing to do with my response. What I posted was only to counter that person's post. As a Kerrville resident, I found it misrepresented Kerrville & our citizens, which is by far the friendliest place I have ever lived.

Old 02-05-2021, 10:26 AM

8 posts, read 13,498 times
I was wanting a laid back place to retire and was looking at Kerrville. Can anyone give me an idea what property taxes are like there compared to the surrounding area?

Old 02-05-2021, 10:38 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
Kerrville tax rates here:
https://www.kendallad.org/adopted-ta...and-exemptions

Bexar tax rates here:
https://www.bexar.org/3331/2020-Offi...tes-Exemptions

This is really the best way you can do you research.

Old 02-05-2021, 12:56 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,715 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Kerrville (no) Boerne tax rates here: NOT Kerrville , but instead ...Kendall county =
https://www.kendallad.org/adopted-ta...and-exemptions
also these towns...
Bergheim
Boerne
Comfort
Kendalia
Waring>>>>

Bexar tax rates here:
https://www.bexar.org/3331/2020-Offi...tes-Exemptions

This is really the best way you can do you research.
Kerrville happens to be in Kerr county... I roughly pay 1% of property market value on my Kerrville Props, (including schools which are the real killer in TX). Be very careful of City vs, rural when searching for props and taxes / levies. Also your assigned appraiser has all to do with how you get appraised, and if you can successfully contest valuations, existing taxes MAY NOT reflect current resale values or future taxes! Base your future taxes on what you pay * current levy.
Kerrville proper is a very '2' class society / demographic, so there is very "high end", often retirees from all over TX and some cold weather escapees from MN/WI/IL (Comanche Trace) and then the rest of us.. low income / rehab people. i.e. this is NOT low taxes... Home | Comanche Trace

People usually come to Kerrville for (2) reasons...
1) Retirement, in a place they loved to come during youth / vacations (Many youth camps and hunting camps nearby)
2) Rehab - VA medical and a lot of substance abuse rehab centers + a State hospital.
Very few 'mid' + level jobs. (tho there used to be, lumber, furniture, AG, wool processing, manf...)
Kerrville does have all the big box stores for the region, and has large medical (Peterson), but most locals prefer Fredericksburg or SA for significant medical needs.
Quality of life is pretty good, lots to do, strong community support, little crime, convenient to SA and AUS, close to recreation and venues nearby. Very nice private college integrated into the community. Higher elevation = slightly better temperate weather, tho colder cold snaps (seldom, but possible).

Kerrville tax rates here:Home - Kerr CAD
Center Point
Hunt
Ingram
Mountain Home
Fredericksburg = Gillespie County Home - Gillespie CAD
Doss
Harper
Stonewall
Willow City

Bandera County = https://www.bancad.org/
Medina
Pipe Creek
Tarpley
Vanderpool
Medina County = https://www.medinacad.org/
Castroville
D Hanis
Devine
Hondo
La Coste
Mico
Natalia
Rio Medina
Yancey
Kimble County = Home - Kimble CAD
Junction
London
Roosevelt
Real County = https://realcad.org/
Camp Wood
Leakey
Rio Frio
If truly on the quest for low taxes, there are several ways to play that game.
Usually living rural in an AG focused county is the first step (outside of city service boundary). I recently bought a very nice solar building lot, very close to city limits, but just outside. <$30k. 2 acres w/ water and power, road, and approval for conventional septic. That was a good deal. Many lots are $100k, property values in Kerrville increased 9%+ just last yr. (I sold a few of mine)
  1. If you are of 'retirement age', there is a senior tax exemption / Homestead on primary residence.
  2. https://comptroller.texas.gov/taxes/...h%20exemptions.
  3. Also... Ag, and Conservation Exemptions available if meeting requirements)
  4. Build or buy a 'Low-tax-house' (various methods)
  5. Keep you appraiser honest (and realistic), you must compile FACTs to do this.
  6. Build or buy in a lower taxed region
  7. Be "Stealth" about your improvements.

In my case, I use other methods to offset financial property tax burden. (My domicile home went from ,$3 / day to now $48/ day in property taxes (that home is in another no income tax state, but not Texas (Same is happening here (Californication of property values, forcing seniors and locals to be displaced)) California has Prop 13, to protect their LT residents. No other state has Prop 13 to that extent. (that I know of).

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 02-05-2021 at 01:05 PM..

Old 02-05-2021, 01:26 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
My bad....I don't live in Kerrville BUT I should have known better since I go there a lot to either visit my family there or go to this Thai restaurant I really like there.

Point is...this kind of info is easily available online and you can figure things out with the tax rate. If you want to cheat the system by buying a goat or solar panels...then that is fine too. As long the city or county says that is allowed.

Honestly with that I know now, I wouldn't want to live in Kerrville. Too red for my taste to be laid back...

Old 02-05-2021, 04:56 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,007,169 times
I wouldn't want to live there either. Wish there were more young people/families

Old 02-09-2021, 08:33 AM

395 posts, read 1,081,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
In my case, I use other methods to offset financial property tax burden. (My domicile home went from ,$3 / day to now $48/ day in property taxes (that home is in another no income tax state, but not Texas (Same is happening here (Californication of property values, forcing seniors and locals to be displaced)) California has Prop 13, to protect their LT residents. No other state has Prop 13 to that extent. (that I know of).
Lots of great data in your post - thanks!

As a side note, Nevada has a property tax cap. They enacted it back in around 2005. 3% max increase each year for primary residents. Think it's like 9% on investment properties.

I'm new here. Moved here in December from Vegas. Has TX ever even talked about this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio