Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 07:19 AM

9,843 posts, read 13,633,279 times

Advertisements

Remember when they filed for bankruptcy in late 2012(Ballenger Construction files for bankruptcy - San Antonio Express-News)?

Does anyone know what the status is of their awarded contracts? The little bit of construction that was done near the 10/Huebner project is just ugly and a complete waste if the state is not going to finish working on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 08:16 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,023,213 times
I know that work is happening on the Wurzbach Parkway project that was begun by Ballenger. TXDOT publishes a biweekly newsletter about it. The most recent issue talked about closures on 281 that started yesterday.

Wurzbach Parkway - Weekly Updates

There are no newsletters for the I-10 expansion, but there is a project status page at I-10 (Loop 1604 to South of Huebner Road)

IIRC, the bonding company that was backing Ballenger was expected to pick up the slack and line up other businesses to keep the work going.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:21 AM

431 posts, read 1,201,293 times
Bo, I just came here to post something similar.

From here: http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot...way/021313.pdf

"No news does not equate with
silence…."

I’m still getting between three and five calls each day
asking when the projects defaulted by Ballenger Construction will resume.
My answer is always the same, and I’ll give it again
here (please pass it along to your friends and neighbors):

WE ARE STILL WORKING WITH THE SURETY COMPANY TO SELECT A CONTRACTOR TO COMPLETE THE PROJECT. BID PACKAGES FOR THE PROJECTS HAVE BEEN ASSEMBLED BY THE SURETY COMPANY, AND THE COMPANY IS IN THE PROCESS OF NEGOTIATING TERMS WITH CONTRACTORS. WE HOPE TO HAVE AN IDEA WHO THE CONTRACTORS WILL BE SOON, AND WE EXPECT TO BE BACK TO WORK BY THIS SPRING. AS A REMINDER, THESE PROJECTS WILL CONTINUE AT NO ADDITIONAL EXPENSE TO TAXPAYERS.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:45 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,169,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Remember when they filed for bankruptcy in late 2012(Ballenger Construction files for bankruptcy - San Antonio Express-News)?

Does anyone know what the status is of their awarded contracts? The little bit of construction that was done near the 10/Huebner project is just ugly and a complete waste if the state is not going to finish working on it.
As heimerswt posted, TxDOT is still working with the bonding companies for each of the projects. What happens is that the bonding company puts the remainder of the work out for bid. It's a slow process because first of all the engineers needed to get in to each project and determine what was still left to be done, put together the estimates, plans, etc. From what I've heard, though, the process is going substantially faster than was expected and they hope to have work started again by late spring or summer.

Moderator cut: The post you replied to has been deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I know that work is happening on the Wurzbach Parkway project that was begun by Ballenger. TXDOT publishes a biweekly newsletter about it. The most recent issue talked about closures on 281 that started yesterday.
Actually, that section wasn't one of Ballenger's projects. There are three segments for Wurzbach Pkwy: west of West Ave., east of Jones-Maltsberger, and the one in the middle. The two outer segments were Ballenger's and they're still idled. The middle one was not affected by Ballenger's demise and has gone on uninterrupted.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 03-01-2013 at 01:00 PM..

Old 03-01-2013, 12:29 PM

545 posts, read 1,059,118 times
All I know for sure is that you dudes nuked my Whataburger and there's nothing to show for it.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:58 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
Actually, that section wasn't one of Ballenger's projects. There are three segments for Wurzbach Pkwy: west of West Ave., east of Jones-Maltsberger, and the one in the middle. The two outer segments were Ballenger's and they're still idled. The middle one was not affected by Ballenger's demise and has gone on uninterrupted.
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize the whole thing wasn't Ballenger's. I had noticed there hadn't been much activity on the eastern section since the news about Ballenger broke, and that would explain why.

Is the drainage work happening along the 281 access road (between the future parkway overpass and Bitters) part of the parkway or a separate project?

Old 03-01-2013, 03:19 PM

340 posts, read 584,802 times
Was Ballenger the company that did all the medians and sidewalks across the city? I swear, weeds aren't supposed to grow out of the middle of a median or sidewalks. What gives? I see that too often and it frustrates me to no end. Is it natural or just shoddy construction?

Old 03-01-2013, 05:52 PM

282 posts, read 470,878 times
The fact that the projects remain idle is embarrassing. Did Ballenger have a good reputation or is it a company that got contracts because they were the cheaper option? What other projects have they done in the area?

Old 03-01-2013, 05:55 PM

340 posts, read 584,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by &heart View Post
The fact that the projects remain idle is embarrassing. Did Ballenger have a good reputation or is it a company that got contracts because they were the cheaper option? What other projects have they done in the area?
I believe they were TxDot's go to construction company for SA and South Texas.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by &heart View Post
I heard a radio soundbite the other day from someone who said that TXDOT knew from its own estimates that Ballenger had underbid some of these projects by over a million dollars, but they were the low bidder. State law says the state has to go with the low bidder. I don't think we citizens should want big projects like this going to someone other than the low bidder. It would open up to many opportunities for cronyism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio