Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2013, 02:34 PM

17 posts, read 20,893 times

Advertisements

So, I was curious on what part of the city is good for two adult males to live. Me and my homeboy are 24-25 years old and I'm in college and he is thinking about it. We are planning to get an apartment or rent a house in SA next year but I don't wanna move into a ghetto place. I just want an affordable apartment in a cool part of town. Somewhere cheap. We're college kids, lol.

Second question- I am living in Seattle and majoring in Japanese out here. Will this benefit me at all in SA? I have almost 2 years of being an office assistant as well and would love to stay in that field, HR/Office work. But how likely will I be to use Japanese at work? Or are there some companies that need people who speak Japanese? I know there is a Japanese community of some kind, I guess people wanting to celebrate the culture and maybe a few families, but I'm not completely sure. Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 03:35 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,843,942 times
First I would go for the area from downtown north to Alamo Heights area. You don't mention a budget. A budget number would make exactly where easier to determine. With a budget number it wouod make the choices of areas much easier to decide.
Second, the need for Japenese is limited here, it's all English and Spanish. Minor in other languages.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:03 PM

114,841 posts, read 65,629,491 times
There is no real Japanese community here OP. Asians sure but spread around the city.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:14 PM

2,570 posts, read 7,723,583 times
What school will you be attending?

Old 03-03-2013, 05:05 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,056,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
First I would go for the area from downtown north to Alamo Heights area. You don't mention a budget. A budget number would make exactly where easier to determine. With a budget number it wouod make the choices of areas much easier to decide.
Second, the need for Japenese is limited here, it's all English and Spanish. Minor in other languages.
Yup..what he said...English or Spanish.. Spanglish works too!

Old 03-03-2013, 05:12 PM

500 posts, read 966,229 times
As is posted in your other thread, Houston has Asian areas. Far west side north of 10 near the tollway.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:32 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,641,987 times
I know of three Japanese-owned companies in San Antonio. The obvious one is Toyota (Southeast of SA). Another one is Takata Seat Belts (West of downtown SA). Finally, Coil Plus Steel (East of downtown SA). You might be able to use your Japanese language skills as a liaison for Japanese visitors to these companies.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:20 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,336,269 times
You might also want to reach out to the Alamo Asian American Chamber of Commerce as a resource. Alamo-aacc.org

Old 03-04-2013, 07:40 PM

17 posts, read 20,893 times
I appreciate the suggestions and information, thanks a lot! I don't really know why I asked because I know that SA is predominantly Hispanic, well, in the minorities I guess. But I was hoping. I'm not sure what school I am going to try to go to, but I will figure that out eventually. I am looking to just work and support myself for a while if I don't get in to the University of Washington.

Anyway, I am definitely going to try those companies when I head down, my skills aren't that great, but by working there I'm pretty sure I could get a tutor fairly easy with Skype now too.

As for a budget, I'm not too sure what would be adequate, because if I go down there as a student, it would be far less than if I got a job. I'm guessing aroung 600 dollars if possible.

I guess the sooner I know if I'm accepted into UW the sooner other info will fall into place. Thanks again for the help, guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio