Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 07:27 AM

500 posts, read 969,509 times

Advertisements

OTA pictures will always look better than any subscription service, be it Dish, DirecTV, or cable. The broadcast signal is not compressed. Subscription signals are compressed to a lower resolution in order to fit more channels on the satellites which transfer the signals (and yes, even with cable, although there's id not as compressed).

We still use the dish, but view things like sporting events with local channels via antenna. We use a 6 ft regular TV antenna up in our attic, and have no problems with the 12 channels. We get both SA and Austin channels (we're a little north of Bulverde). I can't remember how many, but it's somewhere in the range of 40-50 we get through the antenna.

On thing you might consider when pointing the antenna is the location of the towers, which are in the Elmendorf area (most of the channels including the 12's). If I remember correctly, I had more trouble tuning in 12 than any other. It just took me a lot of patience. It sure beat trying to point antennas the way we did in the 60's though!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 07:29 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Oh, another thing I've figured out in four or five years of using an antenna...put the antenna on a high shelf, otherwise sometimes the picture will distort when someone walks in front of it.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:44 AM

97 posts, read 151,948 times
here's the deal those rabbit ears need to be placed outside your window and still connected to the tv once placed turn tv on and afix the ears while looking at your best reception and leave you should get all the channels crystal clear of course on windy days there might be some blackouts with the PBS channels but it will come back do not move ears outside of windows unless they fall.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:51 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Thanks for all the input guys. This - GE Flat Panel Amplified TV Antenna : Target was the one I bought and it says it gets all the signals. Maybe it's just not as strong as it should be.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:03 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,187,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Maybe it's just not as strong as it should be.
An amplified antenna is of no use if there's no signal to amplify. For optimal performance, the antenna should be mounted as high as possible and have an unobstructed view of the transmission tower.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:20 PM

447 posts, read 1,044,500 times
Your channel reception has a lot to do with where you are located, elevation, hills, trees, etc.

But as far as antennaes go, a co-worker recommend the "leaf" antenna which is a new flat indoor antenna. I was a bit skeptical, because its the size and thickness of a sheet of paper, but after installing it I'm amazed that I get all the over the air channels in!

Mine is even mounted behind the tv, on the wall, so its 100% not visible in the room.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:30 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtexan99 View Post
But as far as antennaes go, a co-worker recommend the "leaf" antenna which is a new flat indoor antenna. I was a bit skeptical, but after installing it I'm amazed that I get all the over the air channels in!

Mine is even mounted behind the tv, on the wall, so its 100% not visible in the room.
I have one of those, too... the unamplified version. It only picks up KENS when I remove it from the wall and lay it flat. Everything else comes in while it's wall-mounted. Even so, it definitely works better than the $8 rabbit ears and loop combo from WalMart that it replaced!

http://www.gomohu.com

Old 03-07-2013, 03:06 PM

206 posts, read 464,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I have one of those, too... the unamplified version. It only picks up KENS when I remove it from the wall and lay it flat. Everything else comes in while it's wall-mounted. Even so, it definitely works better than the $8 rabbit ears and loop combo from WalMart that it replaced!

Home of the #1 Rated Indoor Antenna - Mohu
I second this.

I've been using OTA antennas for a few years now. I got myself the unamplified Leaf for Christmas off of Amazon. It's a miracle. The trick we did for ours was to put it up in the corner. We taped it so it completes a triangle with the two walls. Doing that gets us all the channels, except for 2.1 and 2.2. In my experience, I only had channel 2.2 for a short period of time when I was living in a house with a huge outside antenna. I would have to adjust it all the time though.

I liked our leaf so much I got another for the other tv. Works well in that room also. FWIW we live on the almost far west side, near Marbach between 1604 and 410. My friend who lives closer to westover hills got the amplified leaf from Sams for $80 or so. He is pleased with that version as well.

The biggest benefit for me is not having to screw with the antenna every time I wanted to change the channel. I would get all the channels with the bunny ears, I just would have to re-adjust for each range, which was annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio