Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 09:57 PM

229 posts, read 472,226 times

Advertisements

Might sound odd, but I liked Broadway 5050 for pork BBQ. The deviled eggs are pretty good too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 07:02 PM

216 posts, read 396,007 times
This is a bit odd for me, this fascination with pulled pork. It came from the Carolinas area they had to invent it because they weren't artful enough at the bbq pit to make a good brisket so they throw a pig on a pit swill down a couple of six packs, the meat gets overdone and they have to pull it off the grill because it's stuck there, hence the name "pulled pork". Sorry if I offended any of my Carolinian followers out there all I can say is "the truth hurts" and Texas Brisket rules, let me hear a big AMEN.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:18 PM

14,637 posts, read 34,902,336 times
That doesn't sound like any pulled pork I've ever had, and I grew up in Virginia....great pork bbq.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:18 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,742,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rctsat View Post
This is a bit odd for me, this fascination with pulled pork. It came from the Carolinas area they had to invent it because they weren't artful enough at the bbq pit to make a good brisket so they throw a pig on a pit swill down a couple of six packs, the meat gets overdone and they have to pull it off the grill because it's stuck there, hence the name "pulled pork". Sorry if I offended any of my Carolinian followers out there all I can say is "the truth hurts" and Texas Brisket rules, let me hear a big AMEN.

Haha...

Pulled pork is a very inexpensive thing to make, that's probably why they were eating it in the Carolinas.

I make it myself when HEB has pork shoulders for $1/lb...rub it all over with spices, dump whiskey over it, leave it in the crock pot all day on low, then shred with a fork. Cheap, tasty, and for ten bucks you can make enough to feed a whole party.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:27 PM

20 posts, read 26,634 times
The Rudy's in Schertz/Selma does not have pulled pork; however, the one in New Braunfels does.

No need to put down the Carolinas and pulled pork; I have no trouble enjoying both. I had never had bbq brisket until I moved to Texas last year. Pulled pork from the Carolinas is what barbeque IS to Carolinians. However, I do love living here, and I am happy to make room in my heart (and stomach) for Texas BBQ.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:38 PM

472 posts, read 1,071,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rctsat View Post
AMEN,...BRISKET is the KING of TEXAS BBQ!

Old 03-20-2013, 07:48 PM

Well Ms Hedgehog I like the way you think yes it is a great, inexpensive way to feed a lot of people. I like your idea of putting some whiskey on it I'll have to try that. One thing they do in those far off areas of the Southeast that I just can't understand is putting coleslaw on their sandwich, I mean come on I love coleslaw but lets be a little more civilized and serve it on the side and eat it with with a fork. I have a great recipe for sauerkraut coleslaw by the way if anyone actually reads what I write and is interested, here it is, ahem: two cans of kruat well drained (what ever you like or what ever is the cheapest), couple of shredded/grated carrots, about a 1/3 to 1/2 a purple onion, very thinly sliced (yes it has to be a purple onion because it tastes great, looks great and I said so, it's my recipe) then make a mix of 1/3 to 1/2 cup each of ( more is probably better you can drain off any excess the next day before you serve it) oil, vinegar and sugar heat it on the stove until the sugar dissolves let it cool just a bit and mix it into the kraut, carrot and onion. Oh I almost forgot I like to cut some very thin strips of green and red pepper to decorate the top after you have mixed everything well together, again it looks great, it tastes great and it's my recipe. Make it the day before so all the flavors blend and it will be well chilled when you serve it, on a plate, with a fork, not on a sandwich, try it you'll love it, unless you hate sauerkraut in that case you won't know what you are missing, go grab some spinach leaves and arugula and chow down

Old 03-20-2013, 07:54 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,775,703 times
I read the description on the Dickies menu and I don't recall any mention of six-packs.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:14 PM

Without counting sixpacks how else can you time your bbq. The sun works okay but sometimes I'm still cooking and it has gotten dark, then what.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:30 PM

472 posts, read 1,071,429 times
Uhhhhh,...Briskets are 12 hours...max,...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio