Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 11:31 AM

268 posts, read 591,246 times

Advertisements

Your recommendations and thoughts for Peking Duck in San Antonio would appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 12:18 PM

545 posts, read 1,057,719 times
I've had it here, it's great:

Wahkee Chinese Seafood Restaurant

18360 Blanco Rd San Antonio, TX 78258‎Blanco Market Shopping Center
(210) 497-6669

Old 03-20-2013, 04:57 PM

Thank you JuanValdez......any other recommendations???

We're planning for this weekend, so still lots of time to let me know your recommendations.

Thanks again.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:12 PM

14,637 posts, read 34,906,535 times
Kim Wah on Bandera and Huebner.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:52 PM

216 posts, read 396,159 times
But here is the really important question, should we now, in order to be politically and grammatically correct start calling it Beijing duck.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:41 PM

Well rctsar, you be the judge.....the below link is to a very famous restaurant I used to go often when I lived there. I say Peking......what do you think?

Peking Gourmet Inn

Old 03-20-2013, 07:59 PM

216 posts, read 396,159 times
I say, wow I don't care how you pronounce it I wish I would have gone there for dinner when my son was living in DC. He was there for three years. I would try the duck but I would really want to try the lamb. I love lamb as a matter of fact I'm going to prepare a leg for Easter. We are going to have ham and lamb so we'll have something for everyone.
Back to the subject on the name change I always wondered why it changed so I looked it up earlier, it's an interesting story.
Check it out Peking and Beijing - Why and when did Peking change its name to Beijing?

Old 03-22-2013, 11:41 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,727,506 times
Hsiu Yu, 8838 Broadway and Loop 410 has Peking Duck on their menu. A 24 hour advanced notice is requested.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:18 PM

810 posts, read 1,419,890 times
Phoenix Café on West Avenue has it too but if you really want the good stuff, travel north to Austin instead, or heck, go to Houston. The few “authentic” Chinese restaurants in SA are not that great.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:53 PM

Thanks all for you input.

Our Peking Duck search was a success.

We settled on going to the Phoenix Chinese Cafe at Parliament Square at the corner of Blanco Rd. and West Ave. As we live in Castle Hills, it was very convenient.

Their Peking Duck is served in 3 courses as follows:

First: carved skin and skin with a little meat is served on a platter with steamed buns all around the platter. This is also served with the traditional Hoisin Sauce and little scallion brushes.

Second: The rest of the duck meat is made into a stir fry. Can’t tell you much about it because we requested this duck meat be served with the first course.

Third: The duck bones are then made into a soup with a bit of bok choy, a little tofu, and partakes the flavor of the Peking duck.

Also, instead of the steamed buns for our first course, we requested they substitute the pancakes usually used for moo shu pork. We are more used to the pancake.

The crispy lacquered skin was very good and the meat had flavor and not dry at all. Along with the pancakes/hoisin/scallion, they made for a great Peking duck. The soup was well balanced with full bodied duck flavor.

This is the manner we have usually enjoyed Peking duck in the past. Next time we will probably request half steamed buns and half pancakes. As to the 2nd course of stir fried duck meat, just not sure about that. The duck meat is so good, I’d lean to no stir fry. But, maybe I’ll change my mind.

Although I only know American Peking duck, I would not hesitate to recommend this place. It really is up to par to other Peking duck we’ve had in other parts of the country and very close to the famous Peking Gourmet in the DC area. No need to go all the way to Austin or Houston as it turns out San Antonio does have a great place for Peking Duck, and we're glad we found it.

phoenixcafesa.webs.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio