U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 10:17 AM

4 posts, read 5,735 times

Advertisements

My family will be moving from a very nice high-rise apartment in Portland's wonderful Pearl district to San Antonio this summer, so that my son can attend Sunshine Cottage. We expect that we will buy a home within a year, but we wanted to settle in and get a lay of the land before making any big decisions.

It goes without saying that the kind of high-rise/mixed-use/urban lifestyle we're used to doesn't exist in SA. We're cool with that. Portland is Portland and SA is SA. And I expect that we'll find many things to love about SA (starting with good Mexican food).

But we're having a really hard time finding a place to live. Our constraints:

1) My wife and I work from home, so we need to be within 10 minutes of Sunshine Cottage (i.e. Alamo Heights) to keep our round-trip commute time reasonable.

2) Rent for a large two-bedroom in the $2k-3k range. And I'd prefer not to be nickel-dimed. One place we saw wanted an extra $250/mo for a dishwasher. Seriously? Who doesn't want a dishwasher? In this price range, I expect the rent to be all inclusive (except for utilities).

3) High quality. I don't want to live any place that feels cheap, or poorly constructed. I would normally say that stucco walls are an automatic disqualification, but I haven't seen any rentals in SA without stucco.

4) Friendly, attentive, and reliable staff.

5) Quiet. While I'm not technically a grumpy old man and I'm not worried about waking the baby (for obvious reasons), I do want to avoid the kind of hipster, trustafarians who smoke weed and listen to The Decemberists at 3am that live across the hall from me in Portland.

6) Convenient access to parks, grocery stores, and interesting walks/hikes.

We looked at the Artessa, and my wife nearly cried. The design was so tasteless and the build quality was shoddy. We also looked at the Can Plant and were disappointed with the build quality, the adolescent taste in furnishings (lamps made out of used beer kegs!), and the amateur staff (although they did have some spacious two-story lofts). I've read good things about The Meridian, except that it's dated. I can live with dated if it's quality. I'll take polished solid-brass fixtures over brushed aluminum-covered plastic any day.

House rentals were slim pickings.

So what am I missing? I'm having a hard time believing that there are no truly first class leasing options in San Antonio. Somebody in one of the other threads mentioned the Bushnell, but I don't see anything online about apartment leasing there. Can you guys please help?

-g
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 10:32 AM

6,388 posts, read 7,701,262 times
I don't know a lot about the real estate downtown but I am glad your son is going to Sunshine Cottage. I was a student there years ago and I loved it there. They have a lot to do with my ability to communicate with the mainstream world and not limited to just those that know ASL.

Hope you find the perfect place you are looking for. I know a lot of people here can be helpful.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:00 AM

Thanks for the reassurance, Matt. Moving to a new city for a school is a leap of faith, so I appreciate any positive feedback that I can get. Sunshine Cottage just seemed to be heads and shoulders above anything else my wife and I looked at.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:12 AM

500 posts, read 898,414 times
It's laughable to see people asking extra for a dishwasher in any price range. I would accept having to furnish a refrigerator before a dishwasher for crying out loud. That's somewhat customary in Texas, at least in a home.

Have you enlisted the help of a realtor? I'm pretty sure your wish list may exclude apartments, luxury or not. There are plenty of people who would spend that $$ for what's available in those locations. I'm thinking a house would be your best option.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:00 PM

Thanks, dpantle. We are working with a real estate agent. I'm looking to supplement what she's finding for us.

We didn't get a change to check out the Merdian. Any thoughts on that place?

Old 03-23-2013, 03:57 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,717,451 times
Sounds like you should be looking at the Southtown area, where there are actual real lofts (concrete/exposed brick walls and ceilings). I'll shoot you a PM with someone to contact.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:01 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,768,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glrandall View Post
Thanks for the reassurance, Matt. Moving to a new city for a school is a leap of faith, so I appreciate any positive feedback that I can get. Sunshine Cottage just seemed to be heads and shoulders above anything else my wife and I looked at.

Have you considered the Texas School of Deaf in Austin?
Texas School for the Deaf

Austin has more of the urban lifestyle and a similar vibe to Portland. Highrise condos/midrise apartments are constantly being constructed in the city.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:19 AM

203 posts, read 530,249 times
There are some units for rent at the Vidorra high rise downtown

Old 03-24-2013, 08:52 AM

500 posts, read 898,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glrandall View Post
We didn't get a change to check out the Merdian. Any thoughts on that place?
My wife and I have a retail store in the area, and we have heard speak of the Meridian from present and former residents. We have heard the gamut of opinions on this place. Great management to unresponsive. Great environment vs past their prime. The place looks perfectly livable from the outside to me. The only thing I can tell you is that opinions seem to indicate inconsistency to us, so it would probably be advisable to have a look, and trust your own opinion.

Good luck in your search.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:01 PM

Thanks, dpantle for your response. That seems to be what I've read online.

LiveUrban, Sunshine Cottage is what's called an "oral-deaf" school. ASL is discouraged and the focus is on mainstreaming the children into regular education programs by the sixth grade. There's an oral-deaf school in Portland, but Sunshine Cottage's programs and resources are so much more mature. It's worth moving for.

saksaa, what's the roundtrip commute like from downtown to the area around Sunshine Cottage during rush hour? According to Google Maps, it's only about 4 miles, but won't we be stuck in traffic heading into downtown on the way back? How long does it take to get from Hildebrand to downtown during morning rush hour?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio