Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 08:32 AM

112 posts, read 179,416 times

Advertisements

I'm angry...after spending another Saturday morning picking up trash in my very nice neighborhood. This town has a problem. I'm glad to see a discussion going on right now on KTSA. It's nice to know that I'm not alone in finding it disgraceful how big the litter problem is in SA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 03:44 PM

410 posts, read 923,649 times
Readerfeeder...I hear you. I once drove on a small street behind Walgreens off Potranco, Carson Hill, I think. I was shocked at how people use it as a dump (unless the trash placed itself there). The little curve of the road was highlighted by random bags of trash, a mattress, and other items just strewn about on the ground.The city placed the usual "No Dumping" signs to no avail. I was angry...I was disgusted at the thought that these ppl live in the same community as I. Of course, I know we are all different, but is cleanliness too much to ask? Respect of property? Evidently it is to some. Please find a trashcan, or the city dump. It's not that difficult. Stepping off soapbox...

Old 05-01-2013, 05:03 PM

Thanks...Potranco Rd. is one of the worst...outside 1604 it is covered in litter. I just wasn't raised in a place where people litter, but I'm only one person and I can't get much support.

Last edited by Readerfeeder; 05-01-2013 at 05:24 PM..

Old 05-01-2013, 05:57 PM

500 posts, read 969,509 times
I'm with you RF. Seriously, littering is a social issue here in SA. I've seen it as a social issue in New Orleans as well. When you start seeing pictures like the ones earlier in this topic of the bridge semi-painted, because to fully paint it would require CLEANING around the area, well that's a tell of a societal problem.

I've lived in around half a dozen larger cities in my life, and in none of them have I experienced the lack of caring about it like SA and NO. I don't even think it's an apathy thing, I truly believe it's an acceptance of living with the trash and not even noticing anymore. You hear all the rationalizations like "it's worse in Detroit", or "with the right streetlights, everything's beautiful", or even "quit whining or complaining". That's another indicator of it being a societal issue.

To me the deal is that San Antonio is a beautiful city, it could be a VERY beautiful city. One of the easiest, least expensive, and most effective ways to make it very beautiful would be to eliminate (or even eliminate 50%) the litter we see virtually everywhere. Instead of spending $14m on LED streetlights which only light up the litter, what's wrong with spending a few million on an anti litter campaign, clean up, litter law enforcement, or a combination of all 3?

The issue being since it's a social issue, there's no political will to do anything meaningful about it. So sad.

I better quit now, I'm getting dizzy up here on the soapbox.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:57 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,877,109 times
Well I have some ideas that will not include extra taxes imposed by the state or having to sacrifice LED lamps which will cost us less in the long run.

Quote:
Top Ten Litter Items in the United States.

1. Cigarette butts/cigarette filters
2. Bags/food wrappers
3. Caps, lids
4. Beverage bottles (glass)
5. Beverage cans
6. Cups, plates, forks, knives, spoons
7. Beverage bottles (plastic) 2 liters or less
8. Straws, stirrers
9. Fast food Containers
10. Cigar tips
http://www.epa.gov/owow/oceans/debri...terways508.pdf

Most of the items listed above also incur higher health costs onto our society, they cost our society more in the long run (purely common sense folks are not going to get this), and someone (the taxpayer) has to end up covering the cost of higher health costs.

So we should tax these items at exorbitant rates to cover the costs of both cleaning up litter (we can provide jobs this way, not just to hire those to clean it up but to hire those to teach litter awareness classes) and to eliminate higher health costs later on down the line.

But I understand a progressive solution is just too much for some to bear and they would rather allow more freedom, well that freedom also incurs a cost and includes the freedom to litter since these things are so cheap.

Of course we will need a component that addresses the aforementioned classes at the same time. The provision of information should be directed toward the final three on the list below.

Below are the five types of people when it comes to litter.

Quote:
  • Non-litterers - environmentally conscious, don't litter and usually pick up litter of others
  • Inconvenients - too hard, too much trouble, someone else's problem
  • Ignorants - these people are simply unaware of a link between the environment and their litter behavior
  • Willful Arrogants - usually litter in a context, i.e. "It's okay to litter in urban areas but not in the country"
  • Anti-establishments - make a statement with purposeful littering
No MOre Trash! | Litter Facts

Now if some want to ignore the long view and just be shortsighted, well you are not going to be accused of reading any studies but you might be able to claim common sense (which does not require anything but giving us your opinion, informed or not).

The bottom line is if you want to complain without offering any type of solution at all then it accumulates to a type of sentimental litter. In effect you are poisoning others in our society with your pessimistic attitudes. I suppose a "happy police" would be unrealistic but so would a "litter police" unless you want biometric facial recognition camera systems on every corner, having everyone register with the state, and that way we can know exactly who to go after if they litter.

Or do you guys have some better solutions?

Forget all I said, mine begins with using that pent up energy some spend on complaining and doing something about it or at least offering solutions of your own. The imbalance displayed in attitude is also part of the problem.

Old 05-03-2013, 05:31 AM

Merovee, I DO something about it... I PICK IT UP, and frankly, I'm sick of it. I didn't put it there in the first place. Where I come from, you don't see litter on every roadway shoulder and ditch. It doesn't happen. I don't need any stupid "studies" to tell me it's wrong to litter. The majority here seem to find it acceptable and teach their children it's ok to do it.
Your attitude is part of the problem: calling those of us it bothers the "litter police". Wow. Don't worry; I won't spread my pessimistic attitude. We're moving within the next year. You can only try so long to make a difference and I have a feeling if I came back in five years, there would be even more litter. Enjoy!
By the way, you left dirty diapers off of your "top ten" list...those are in parking lots all over SA.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:34 AM

340 posts, read 586,329 times
Never seen a dirty diaper in a parking lot in San Antonio in my life, honestly. Are you sure you're not confused about where you live? This is San Antonio not Corpus Christi.

If like you, which I don't believe in the least, and dirty diapers are all over Parkin lots in SA, please take a time stamped picture of some with a view that shows its in SA and post them later today or tomorrow.

We'll patiently be waiting, not holding our breaths though.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:02 AM

Unbelievable levels of denial here. Every time we bring visitors down, they comment on the litter- diapers included. Why would anyone make that up? I have found them not only in parking lots, but in the actual shopping cart. Either you have pride in your surroundings or you don't. This city could be so much more, but not with an attitude of denial.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:19 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samvp View Post
Never seen a dirty diaper in a parking lot in San Antonio in my life, honestly. Are you sure you're not confused about where you live? This is San Antonio not Corpus Christi.

If like you, which I don't believe in the least, and dirty diapers are all over Parkin lots in SA, please take a time stamped picture of some with a view that shows its in SA and post them later today or tomorrow.

We'll patiently be waiting, not holding our breaths though.
I'm kind of surprised you have never seen this. I see it far too often across San Antonio

Old 05-03-2013, 10:54 AM

340 posts, read 586,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
I'm kind of surprised you have never seen this. I see it far too often across San Antonio
Dirty diapers? I swear I have never seen them in parking lots. This page of this thread is the first to e I ever heard someone complaining about that in SA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio