Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 01:54 PM

8 posts, read 18,342 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to San Antonio this summer. We are leaning towards the the Northwest area, like Parkwood, leon valley, and maybe even piper meadows. I am curious about safety and schools. Are these areas okay in both areas or should we consider moving elsewhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 01:58 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
I would move either further north toward the medical center or south toward the alamo ranch area. Both have better performing schools and have equal amounts of entertainment. But, that all depends on your budget. Of those three I would lean closer toward Parkwood myself.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:01 PM

Our budget is around 150000

Old 04-04-2013, 02:09 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
Search within 78240, 78245, 78250 and 78249. The Leon Valley area proper (78237 and 78238) schools aren't as great as the ones in the other zip codes. But, I haven't read the Great Schools reviews on schools in a long time.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:10 PM

Thanks

Old 04-04-2013, 03:42 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,919,856 times
NEVER buy in Parkwood. That's an old KB subdivision and foundation issues abound. Back when the houses were in warranty they had 2 agents working the area for foundation issues. Now that the houses are out of warranty, the issue is yours to fix. A cheap foundation fix in that neighborhood is going to be 30,000+ american dollars. I can tell you stories about Parkwood that are 100% unbelievable. You can also add Hunters Chase and Woller Creek to that list. The soil is grossly unstable there.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:53 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,177,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
NEVER buy in Parkwood. That's an old KB subdivision and foundation issues abound. Back when the houses were in warranty they had 2 agents working the area for foundation issues. Now that the houses are out of warranty, the issue is yours to fix. A cheap foundation fix in that neighborhood is going to be 30,000+ american dollars. I can tell you stories about Parkwood that are 100% unbelievable. You can also add Hunters Chase and Woller Creek to that list. The soil is grossly unstable there.
I can confirm the foundation issues in Parkwood. A family friend just had to have hers repaired and it was indeed around $30K.

Old 05-03-2020, 02:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Is the advice not to buy in Parkwood solely due to the quality of KB being low while building leading to foundation issues in just that neighborhood or is it in reference to that entire area being unstable for foundation? I am about to buy near creekview estates on Brae Bnd and it is right down the street from that area so now I am nervous.

Old 03-31-2021, 10:02 AM

12 posts, read 9,233 times
Piper meadow is a great neighborhood, and so is Timber Ridge right across the street. Timber Ridge is a lot more well kept, and has more mature oak trees at every property, and some very nice 70s ranch style and split level homes. One of the nicest westside neighborhoods in town. I'm happy with mine there, as it is well mature and stable area. Leon Valley issue is the corrupt police department as I heard from few coworkers that live their or nearby. I'd also add Thunderbird Hill and Inspiration Hill in the option list as they are also very nice matured areas, with homes at reasonable price.

Old 03-31-2021, 11:53 PM

29 posts, read 21,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidahar View Post
Piper meadow is a great neighborhood, and so is Timber Ridge right across the street. Timber Ridge is a lot more well kept, and has more mature oak trees at every property, and some very nice 70s ranch style and split level homes. One of the nicest westside neighborhoods in town. I'm happy with mine there, as it is well mature and stable area. Leon Valley issue is the corrupt police department as I heard from few coworkers that live their or nearby. I'd also add Thunderbird Hill and Inspiration Hill in the option list as they are also very nice matured areas, with homes at reasonable price.
Those neighborhoods unfortunately are zoned to one of the worst performing high schools in Northside ISD along with the surrounding feeder schools. Warren is okay(Timber Ridge) as well as Jordan Middle School, but Holmes (Piper Meadow, Thunderbird Hills and Inspiration Hills) is at the bottom along with the surrounding Middle Schools that feed in to the HS ( Sul Ross and Pat Neff.)

Leon Valley is a little better with the elementary feeders and Marshall HS(just a hair better than Holmes) but still zoned to Neff.

Last edited by geo33; 04-01-2021 at 12:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio