Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2013, 12:30 PM

19 posts, read 36,949 times

Advertisements

Hi! My family and I are moving to the San Antonio area in the next month and we are currently looking for houses. We're looking for a 3-4 bedroom with at least 3 acres below $300,000. I've found a few homes that meet our criteria in the Floresville area but the realtors I've spoken to (not the listing realtors - the ones who are part of our relocation package) don't seem to recommend the area too much. Mostly they keep trying to push me toward the areas North of SA like New Braunfels and San Marcos. But I'm not finding many homes that would work for us in that area. Can anyone give me some insight about the Floresville area? About the schools? Shopping? Restaurants? Our family is multi-racial (black/white), would that be a problem? The homes that I'm looking at are about half-way between the actual town of Floresville and SA, is the traffic on 37 or 181 terrible? My husband would also have to take 410 to get to work, how is that in the mornings and the evenings? Thanks for any help you can give!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 12:37 PM

161 posts, read 330,692 times
I would imagine you get more bang for your buck in Floresville since it's not in the highly desired northside (hill country area to be specific). I think Floresville is a nice little town and all of my friends who live their enjoy the fell of a small town like Floresville and the convenience of a short drive to south San Antonio. The land is much more affordable and depending on where you buy, there are plenty of nice communities. The con is that a lot of the premier shopping/restaurants are located on the north side of town. However, the southtown food scene (in King William area) has picked up tremendously in recent years and the Quarry shopping center is an easy drive from Floresville. I'd live in Floresville.

Bottomline, you don't want to be making the drive on I-35 from New Braunfels area to where you intend on working. That stretch of traffic is among (if not) the worst in the city during rush hour. Floresville makes more sense IF you don't mind the reduced shopping and dining options compared to the northside. Otherwise, you've been warned =)

Old 04-12-2013, 12:56 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
181 gets busy, but nowhere near as bad as 35 or 281. I drove to Floresville this past weekend and thought it was beautiful. There were several houses for sale that, if it was north where my family wants to be, would be perfect. The area is very quiet and may be booming in a different way than the areas your realtor is suggesting. I have heard of many of the oil families moving into the Floresville-ish area.

Shopping can be a concern, but the area around City Base is booming with lots of shopping. That would be about a 30 minute drive (not exact though....I'm just guessing).

I would also choose Floresville if it were an option.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:14 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,343,648 times
The Floresville and La Vernia area very nice. I know that in general for Wilson County schools La Vernia rates higher.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:52 PM

349 posts, read 422,019 times
Because most realtors by and large are lazy. Being one, I know how my industry works. There are tons of high priced homes in the area they are steering you than there are in Floresville.

Thats probably by and large why they are steering you that way, less work involved with taking you to a house to show it and just a higher inventory itself.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:48 PM

19 posts, read 36,949 times
Thanks y'all! We'll be flying out soon to look around but it does sound like Floresville might be a good fit for us. We want a quiet place with room to roam a little that's not too far out from SA. We don't mind reduced options for shopping/eating. We live about 30 minutes out of "town" now here in GA and it just encourages us to shop less and eat at home more often. And the traffic information is great! Definitely good to know the worst places to try and avoid!

Old 04-23-2013, 01:43 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,423,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTBA View Post
Hi! My family and I are moving to the San Antonio area in the next month and we are currently looking for houses. We're looking for a 3-4 bedroom with at least 3 acres below $300,000. I've found a few homes that meet our criteria in the Floresville area but the realtors I've spoken to (not the listing realtors - the ones who are part of our relocation package) don't seem to recommend the area too much. Mostly they keep trying to push me toward the areas North of SA like New Braunfels and San Marcos. But I'm not finding many homes that would work for us in that area. Can anyone give me some insight about the Floresville area? About the schools? Shopping? Restaurants? Our family is multi-racial (black/white), would that be a problem? The homes that I'm looking at are about half-way between the actual town of Floresville and SA, is the traffic on 37 or 181 terrible? My husband would also have to take 410 to get to work, how is that in the mornings and the evenings? Thanks for any help you can give!
This is the problem with relocation companies. Relocation companies have a stable of Realtors that they refer people to. However, the way relo works is that they take almost 40% of the Realtor's commission, so by and large, most GOOD Realtors won't work with relo. I hate them and unless it's a personal friend, I won't do it. Not worth my time.

The ones in their stable really won't be familiar with Floresville. It's a ways away and it's just something that most SA realtors don't know. Personally, I've sold ONE out there in 8 years and probably won't again, just because I didn't feel like I did my clients a great service.

See if you can find a Realtor in Floresville that'd be willing to work with your relocation company.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:50 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,585,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
181 gets busy, but nowhere near as bad as 35 or 281. I drove to Floresville this past weekend and thought it was beautiful. There were several houses for sale that, if it was north where my family wants to be, would be perfect. The area is very quiet and may be booming in a different way than the areas your realtor is suggesting. I have heard of many of the oil families moving into the Floresville-ish area.

Shopping can be a concern, but the area around City Base is booming with lots of shopping. That would be about a 30 minute drive (not exact though....I'm just guessing).

I would also choose Floresville if it were an option.
The mornings are the worst times. Unfortunatley, I think that 181 will eventually get just as bad if not worse than 281. They are making the same mistakes in that area. Selling off farmland and subdividing it up all just puts more cars out there at rush hour. Buildiing more businesses like HEB's & Walmarts. Putting in roads for all the new subdivisions and stop lights for every one. Pretty soon they will want to widen it to make room for more cars all the while giving no thought to what they will do with all those cars. Besides stack them up between stop lights. Soon all the peace and serenity that everyone move to the country for has been replaced by the same old hustle and bustle of the city.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:07 AM

216 posts, read 398,638 times
There are several subdivisions with nice homes and 2 to 5 acre tracts just North of Floresville that will save you some drive time. I lived in Bentwood subdivision for 20 years and loved it. Raised two children there, they received great educations and we thoroughly enjoyed the civic and sport related activities available. Choice of several good churches and now with the super Walmart and HEB what more could you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio