Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 05:42 AM

340 posts, read 586,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpantle View Post
I would also add that SA has the political climate more like Orange County.

But it doesn't, at all.

Just look at this past Presidential election.

In Bexar County, Obama won 51% to 46%.

In Orange County, Romney won 53% to 44%.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 04-08-2013 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: Photographic Copyright Violations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 06:09 AM

In 2008, Obama won Bexar 52% to 47%. McCain won Orange County.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernamenottaken View Post
Possibly relocating this summer to San Antonio - 2013. I have been researching the posts - but haven't found one answer to encompass all my questions - so my apologies if something has been answered already.

Looking for an area or neighborhood that would fit the lifestyle and good schools criteria we are looking for. And if nothing like this exists - please let me know. Trying to weigh all the pros and cons and see if it's worth moving with this company.

Criteria:
1. Top rated elementary school - IB program preferred - (but doesn't seem to be offered in the public school system?) Seems like the gifted programs mentioned involve busing and moving around to different schools, strange - don't want that. Also need a good pre-school (not daycare) that isn't outrageously expensive. Around $350/month for 3-4 mornings per week.
2. If we are looking for an excellent elem school - should we honestly consider private school? If so, which one and how much to they run?
3. Walkable would be nice, but not mandatory. Short drive to cool areas with Farmer's markets, antique shops, good restaurants, entertainment, gardens, culture of any kind, ethnic markets. Near (<15 min) Trader Joes would be nice. Don't mind older, established neighborhoods if safe, good school and a park and or nearby place to let kids run around and make friends.
4. Visually appealing area, no big box stores or mass urban sprawl with cookie cutter houses and strip malls.
5. Husband's job is off Prue Rd. so reasonable commute (less than 30 min preferred)
6. Not looking for a suburbia lifestyle, but we do have kids (4 & 7). Unless there is a suburban area that is not like a cut out of every other suburban area in the country.
7. Rentals under $1,800/mo and eventually buy under $250k if we like it there.
8. We like socializing, good food, wine, fun people, traveling, would like an area that is easy to socialize and meet people. (husband is from Europe and I'm from So Cal). Husband would describe himself as laid back sophisticated and I'd describe myself as an upscale hippie
9. Moved to NC from SoCal 4 years ago and not loving it. Too conservative and a little boring. Great for kids, but not so fun for grown ups. Hard to meet people here if you don't go to church. Would love to go back to CA, but not an option.

Thank you locals! Open to ideas and advice.
Alamo Heights, Terrell Hills, Northwoods, Castle Hills Oak Park, Olmos Park are all great options.

Please don't listen to anyone saying San Antonio might not be a fit. That's the epitome of narrow mindedness.

Definitely give SA a shot.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:56 AM

146 posts, read 246,818 times
I agree Northwoods might be a good fit. I believe that their elementary school actually performs better than Alamo Heights elementary schools, with cheaper real estate, better access to 410, and reasonable access to restaurants, Trader Joes, etc.

Terrell Heights might also be a good option- Alamo Heights School District, and a lot of young families, but less expensive than the City of Alamo Heights or Terrell Hills.

There are lots of great liberal-minded young families here. It is sometimes hard to meet because we're all raising kids and tired, but it is worth seeking out.

There are a number of other threads about good private schools. Often ranging from $6000-13000/year. Preschools are cheaper.

If you choose private schools, you open yourself up to a lot of great neighborhoods that meet a lot of your criteria, except for excellent public schools. (Monte Vista, Alta Vista, Tobin Hill, Lavaca, etc.)

You might be personally happier in one of those neighborhoods, and some schools are actually improving with gentrification (e.g. Bonham and Hawthorne).

Austin is over-hyped. There are cool places and hip people, but those areas are cost double their San Antonio equivalent. To me, if you can't actually live in those places and end up in the Austin burbs, it's not really worth it.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:43 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,876,366 times
Quote:
Thank you all. Husbands position would be in in SA but they have a facility in Austin too so trying to see if could go there instead. have to get through company politics. If SA isn't going to be good for the family and can't go to Austin, then we will just stay with the company here in NC. living in limbo...
Sorry that you even had to be questioned (by a person who doesn't even live here anymore) or that you had to explain yourself but kudos to you for taking the hostile contingent of our welcome wagon in stride.

San Antonio is highly conservative in the sense that they (conservatives) consistently come out to vote while liberals seem to come out only for the big issues that are "marketed" as such. This seems to be slowly changing (:

Also, while it might be discouraging for some to simply claim our city is not for you, you might have no choice but to follow where the jobs takes you and in that vain the responses that offer areas with the most items on your checklist will make a nice fit.

If you really want to meet people without having to go to church I would definitely push you toward Southtown because even if their residents are also busy with work and kids they consider community cohesion a priority. Only wish that other neighborhoods, including mine, had a similar culture.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:04 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merovee View Post
sorry that you even had to be questioned (by a person who doesn't even live here anymore) or that you had to explain yourself but kudos to you for taking the hostile contingent of our welcome wagon in stride.
lol

Old 04-08-2013, 11:09 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
Quote:
Ok, thank you for your reply. I guess my list would only be demanding if the area doesn't offer what I am looking for in a place to live Don't think I'll be getting drunk on 6th street since I'm a 40 something with 2 small kids and can't stay awake past 8:30 pm. I do find Austin appealing - but that's not where the job opportunity is. It would be nice to have the luxury of being where you want and where you fit in - but life's not that easy... Thank you again for your honest feedback.
Sorry for attacking you. I'm a bulldog, that's for sure. Good luck with your move, if you make it out this way.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:40 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,876,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Sorry for attacking you. I'm a bulldog, that's for sure. Good luck with your move, if you make it out this way.
I knew we would finally agree on something (:

And yes, good luck to the OP if they make it out this way to San Antonio

Old 04-08-2013, 01:31 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,555,421 times
Criteria:
1. Top rated elementary school - IB program preferred - (but doesn't seem to be offered in the public school system?)

Bonham Academy was going for this but it's stalled. I forsee it happening within the next few years. A lot has been said about the success of Bonham, and for SAISD/inner city school, it's good. But it struggles in many ways. My main problem with it though is less related to the school and more to it being public and subject to all the idiocy that ALL public schools are subject to with respect to testing. Also really surprised at the amount of religion. No religious classes, but A LOT of religion for a public school, moreso than what my kid had in a private Episcopal school. (I'm fine with them learning about religions, but prefer personal religious beliefs be discussed at home, not at school)

See also Downtown Schools Hawthorne and Lamar Say ‘Yes’ to Community Involvement | The Rivard Report
Bonham Academy: A Parent-Driven Success Story | The Rivard Report
Urban Fabric: Schools, Neighborhoods, and Families | The Rivard Report

Northwoods Elem is highly rated (based on tests, if that's your thing), though our friends that bought there because everyone said it was so great were unhappy, moved their kids to private school and are looking to move to Southtown. The area is lovely, great homes, and easy vehicle access to places, but not walkable to anywhere.

AHISD is also highly rated, but you won't find a house for $250K. Moderately walkable compared to most of suburbia, but not many sidewalks. It's definitely more suburban than urban.

Also need a good pre-school (not daycare) that isn't outrageously expensive. Around $350/month for 3-4 mornings per week.

There are Mother's Day Out programs that will be that or less in the near-downtown area. Circle School may be able to do that if you volunteer a lot (some tuition can be offset by volunteering) although they are full day. St Paul's Montessori in Government Hill (starting at 18months) offers a sliding scale, but is 5 mornings per week. (I can't comment on the costs of preschools outside the near downtown area because we never looked that far away)

2. If we are looking for an excellent elem school - should we honestly consider private school? If so, which one and how much to they run?

Monte Vista area is packed with private schools. On the low end, St Anthony's Catholic School (~$6000/yr) at the higher end, Keystone (~$13K/yr). Also some Montessori schools as well as a number of other options.

3. Walkable would be nice, but not mandatory. Short drive to cool areas with Farmer's markets, antique shops, good restaurants, entertainment, gardens, culture of any kind, ethnic markets. Near (<15 min)
4. Visually appealing area, no big box stores or mass urban sprawl with cookie cutter houses and strip malls.

For this, focus will need to be on the downtown/near downtown areas (Southtown, Near North/Pearl, Lower Broadway, Monte Vista, Alta Vista, Tobin Hill, Mahnke Park, to a lesser extent Alamo Heights)

As stated above, there are other areas inside 410 that would fit #4, but they're not really walkable.

5. Husband's job is off Prue Rd. so reasonable commute (less than 30 min preferred)

Any of the areas mentioned will be within 30 minutes, as it's basically against traffic.

6. Not looking for a suburbia lifestyle, but we do have kids (4 & 7). Unless there is a suburban area that is not like a cut out of every other suburban area in the country.

See above. We live in Southtown, and it's LOUSY with Kids
Living Proof: Southtown Lousy With Kids | The Rivard Report

Community connections, neighbors as extended family:

This is My Neighborhood: Southtown - YouTube

Urban, or as I like to say "Semi-Urban." House + yard + active neighbors, but steps away to downtown and the Riverwalk.

7. Rentals under $1,800/mo and eventually buy under $250k if we like it there.

Doable in Southtown, but size may be an issue. Very doable in any of the inner loop/near downtown areas mentioned, but house may require some work.

8. We like socializing, good food, wine, fun people, traveling, would like an area that is easy to socialize and meet people. (husband is from Europe and I'm from So Cal). Husband would describe himself as laid back sophisticated and I'd describe myself as an upscale hippie

Same story here. Where we live we have an easy walk to some of the best restaurants around. Or a short drive (or bike ride) to the Pearl where all the other best restaurants are.

9. Moved to NC from SoCal 4 years ago and not loving it. Too conservative and a little boring. Great for kids, but not so fun for grown ups. Hard to meet people here if you don't go to church. Would love to go back to CA, but not an option.

Depends on your frame of reference. My community is extremely liberal, so blue it's navy... overall, I'd say Bexar County is moderate. Some pockets of extreme conservatism, some pockets of extreme liberalism, mostly people in the middle. Church issue is true here too, in some parts of town, not so in others (like mine). FWIW - where my family lives in SoCal, it is extremely conservative, so my home in Texas feels extremely liberal by comparison. For those who compared SA to Orange County, not at all. Individual pockets maybe, but as a whole, no. There are many parts of SA I would not consider living, but this pocket is fabulous.

In sum, you may have a hard time finding ALL your criteria in once place. You have to decide which criteria are most important, and which you can do without. Keeping in mind, of course, that you can move schools but you can't move a community.

Last edited by Chaka; 04-08-2013 at 02:20 PM..

Old 04-08-2013, 03:29 PM

500 posts, read 969,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
That'll be 50 lashes with a wet noodle for you!

Well, make that 48.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio