Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2013, 05:20 PM

5 posts, read 6,810 times

Advertisements

My husband works for a big IT company on the NE side of San Antonio, I'm sure you all can guess . Unfortunately we don't really care for the area or the Judson district so we are having a hard time pinning down an area to buy a house. Are needs are: a great school district for our two young kids, a smaller town/community, houses that are in an affordable range ($100's-$150's). We would settle for the Selma area but it's in the Judson school district. I was ok hopeful with Cibolo, but when we went to explore it just seemed like a mixture of storage lots & houses, maybe we missed something? Today we even went to New Braunfels & enjoyed our day, but we are wanting to know if there are any other areas. Both of us grew up in small towns (out of state) & would like the same for our kids. Any advice would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 05:28 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,886,067 times
Maybe Schertz?

Old 04-12-2013, 05:48 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,706,729 times
Look into where exactly you were in Selma. There are areas that go to Schertz-Cibolo Universal City ISD. There are good schools in that area. There are parts of Schertz that are older and have a "town" feel to them while there are other areas that are more suburban and new. Check Schertz. I would recommend going out a bit east toward Seguin and Marion, but I can't say anything stellar about those school districts.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:54 PM

381 posts, read 768,487 times
Maybe Helotes? Which I think made the list of one of the best small town feel cities to raise kids, but it might be too far for you?

Old 04-12-2013, 07:10 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,985,216 times
Maybe the Alamo Heights area? It's within San Antonio but has a small town feel and great schools

Old 04-12-2013, 07:27 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times
Seguin sounds like what you are looking for. It's about the same distance as New Braunfels but more remote.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:32 PM

443 posts, read 955,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
Maybe the Alamo Heights area? It's within San Antonio but has a small town feel and great schools
Not in that price range, no.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:07 PM

20 posts, read 26,849 times
My husband also works for a big IT company in NE San Antonio, and we moved from South Carolina to Cibolo in July 2012. From what I hear, Cibolo has grown tremendously in the past few years, with many of the developments having been fields just 8 or 10 years ago. We LOVE living in our small development. Neighbors are friendly. Kids play in the streets. It is a quiet, welcoming community.

The Schertz-Cibolo-Universal City ISD has really good schools. Our daughter is enjoying Dobie Junior High, and we are happy with her school.

Cibolo is just down the road and has a few restaurants that we enjoy. Schertz, with its bigger selection of stores, is just minutes away. When I go to the post office or to pay my water bill, the employees remember me, and I enjoy that small town feel.

Just wanted to share our experience. YMMV.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:16 PM

894 posts, read 1,548,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Maybe Schertz?
I second that. Or maybe Garden Ridge or even New Braunfels if you don't mind the drive. I-35 traffic can be a bear from those areas, but I'm afraid anywhere else that is further away would be even more traffic to deal with.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:18 PM

5 posts, read 6,810 times
Thank you all for the replies! It seems we misjudged Cibolo/Schertz. We will definitely be revisiting the area! @LovingSA, thanks for your real life reply, that is definitely the type of feeling we are looking for (the small town feel), and for seconding the school district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio