Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 03:28 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,740,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Were you the one who said you don't give your dog frequent baths as to not dry out his or her skin? There are some things I have learned on this forum and others that have provided some relief for my dog. I started bathing my dog once a week along with washing her bedding. Some dogs are more prone to infections than others. A spoonful of organic coconut oil everyday keeps her fur from getting dry. She stopped losing her fur and her skin is not as red as it used to be, but she still scratches more than she should and her nose is starting to run now.
It probably was me. I do give her coconut oil but just started recently. Have you ever applied it topically? I have heard/read that it helps but I haven't tried it yet. Maybe I will try more frequent baths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 01:05 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
I haven't applied it topically. That sounds messy. LOL. My dog would find a way to lick it off.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:56 PM

287 posts, read 363,041 times
The Vets at Babcock North Veterinary Clinic at Huebner and Babcock are very good. I've been taking my dog to them since he was a puppy. He's currently having seizures and they have worked hard to figure out what's wrong with him.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
I haven't applied it topically. That sounds messy. LOL. My dog would find a way to lick it off.
That was my first though, lol. Dog hair and oil? Ewww. Then an oily dog running around until it absorbs? More eww.

So my mom brought me a box of latex gloves and said "here, put that coconut oil on her, it will work!" but I haven't done it yet because I'd have to walk her until it was soaked in or whatever, else she'd rub coconut oil all over the carpet and sofa.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone Read View Post
The Vets at Babcock North Veterinary Clinic at Huebner and Babcock are very good. I've been taking my dog to them since he was a puppy. He's currently having seizures and they have worked hard to figure out what's wrong with him.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
That was my first though, lol. Dog hair and oil? Ewww. Then an oily dog running around until it absorbs? More eww.

So my mom brought me a box of latex gloves and said "here, put that coconut oil on her, it will work!" but I haven't done it yet because I'd have to walk her until it was soaked in or whatever, else she'd rub coconut oil all over the carpet and sofa.
An oatmeal bath sounds like a better idea. Aloe vera juice is supposed to help too.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:20 PM

163 posts, read 311,346 times
My Vizsla and I have been quite happy with Dr. Halberg at Deerfield Veterinary (Blanco @ Bitters). This breed can sometimes be sensitive to meds and her minimalistic yet competent approach has been great thus far.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Thank you.

An oatmeal bath sounds like a better idea. Aloe vera juice is supposed to help too.
Can't believe I didn't think about Aloe vera. Oatmeal baths don't do much for her but AV seems worth a shot. I hope we both find a good solution for our dogs. My mother had a dog (actually it was my Grandma's but then my mom "inherited" her) and that poor thing was itchy for her entire fourteen years of life, despite countless vet visits, various meds, various vets, various treatments. Poor thing. I hope that is not the way it goes for mine! Hers hasn't been a lifetime problem though, just the recent past (and she is 9).

Old 04-27-2013, 10:54 AM

52 posts, read 93,403 times
Quote:
This vet has cost me a lot of money. That is all I will say on the forum.
thats unfortunate. each vet has bad stories, some more than others, but this is one of the first ive heard about dr wood.

sorry :\

Old 04-28-2013, 03:36 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,041 times
The Earthclinic forum online is an excellent source of information for health alternatives for people and pets.

Right now I have both a dog and cat with cancer. My cat has a huge tumor below and up around above her ear. She was barely eating, just licking the top liquid from the foods I tried. I started giving her Fucoldan and she is eating much, much better. She was losing weight, now I see she is gaining some back. It is suppose to kill the cancer cells, though I know this will not be a battle I will win, I'm thankful to have found something that is helping her. I found this on my own, looking at the herbs I have on hand and seeing if any may be helpful to her. Desperate feeling believe me. I bought it at Swanson vitamins on line but I'm sure you can find it locally as well. I give her about 1/3rd of a capsule a day. Also Cats Claw herb is a good alternative to antibiotics, I'm using that as well. Just something for you all to keep in mind if ever your beloved pets are ill like mine are.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:10 PM

I also look at EarthClinic. I've found some very helpful things on there for my dog and myself. I've also found valuable information by googling and discovering helpful threads on other forums and scientific articles. I saved a lot of money by not electing to take my dog to my current vet for surgery. Apparently, most vets aren't up to date on new research in certain areas. I followed my vet's advice at first of resting her and my dog's problem was not improving. I decided to follow some new research and exercised her and her issue is almost non-existent now. Surgery would have cost $1,000-3,000 and my dog wouldn't be able to do anything for a couple of months. There was also the chance that the problem would return after surgery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio