Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 11:21 PM

502 posts, read 929,819 times

Advertisements

It won't chase them out it will just make them become prostitutes! Set up shop at hotels now instead of the clubs...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 08:42 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,560,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
There is a big misunderstanding of what this ordinance is about. The requirement for pasties (now bikinis) applies only to clubs that are not a designated Sexually Oriented Business (SOB), i.e. bars that are too close to schools, churches, etc. Those places can't have nude or topless dancing, so this ordinance prescribes the minimum amount of clothing required in order for them to operate. Clubs that are an SOB can still have topless dancers. Full nude dancing has been prohibited for several years now, although I think that's still tied-up in litigation.
I wonder how many bars will have to actually change their business model because of this ordinance? How many clubs that offer toppless dancers will now have to change to offer bikini dancers?

Old 05-02-2013, 09:53 AM

915 posts, read 1,894,943 times
in any case, this thread is worthless without pictures.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:02 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,161,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
I wonder how many bars will have to actually change their business model because of this ordinance? How many clubs that offer toppless dancers will now have to change to offer bikini dancers?
None. If they have topless dancers today, then this ordinance doesn't affect them. If they have dancers with pasties today (i.e. because they're not allowed to have topless dancers), then they'll have to switch to bikinis.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
None. If they have topless dancers today, then this ordinance doesn't affect them. If they have dancers with pasties today (i.e. because they're not allowed to have topless dancers), then they'll have to switch to bikinis.
I thought that they changed the law some years ago that all topless dancers in San Antonio had to wear pasties. A quick google for topless bars in San Antonio shows 10. How many of those are not required to wear pasties due to there status as an S.O.B. and will not be affected?

San Antonio Strip clubs | Strip clubs in San Antonio, TX - YP.com

Old 05-02-2013, 01:34 PM

207 posts, read 318,100 times
Quote:
According to an article about this in the Current, no businesses have applied for a Human-Display Permit:

Quote:
At issue is an ordinance COSA passed last year amending the city’s human display laws. Local regulations had already required that clubs with topless dancers register as a “human display establishment,” which can’t operate within 1,000 feet of schools, residential zones, churches or other places of worship. Clubs got around the pesky human-display classification by covering dancers in the bare minimum – pasties and a g-string. Consequently, not a single club sought a human-display permit from the City.
Judge Biery on Local Strip Club Ordinance: ‘Does Size Matter?’ | San Antonio Current

Old 05-02-2013, 02:23 PM

From the February E-N article on this issue:

Quote:
A federal judge has momentarily halted the city's plans to enforce an ordinance requiring strippers at cabarets that aren't defined as sexually oriented businesses to wear bikini tops, which was slated to take effect Monday.

The city late last year tightened the definition of such clubs, requiring female dancers to cover more of their anatomies. The designation is important to the cabarets, because sexually oriented businesses are subject to increased regulation — like operating licenses for owners and workers and background checks.

Many of the topless clubs got around those restrictions, and greater regulation, by having entertainers wear pasties, while clubs that offered nude dancing challenged citations individually.

(Read more: Strippers can stick to pasties - San Antonio Express-News)
I'm sure there's a registry of SOBs somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it online.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
There is a big misunderstanding of what this ordinance is about. The requirement for pasties (now bikinis) applies only to clubs that are not a designated Sexually Oriented Business (SOB), i.e. bars that are too close to schools, churches, etc. Those places can't have nude or topless dancing, so this ordinance prescribes the minimum amount of clothing required in order for them to operate. Clubs that are an SOB can still have topless dancers.
OK, so actually it's not that those places could not be an SOB, but rather they simply did not want to register as an SOB because of the additional requirements to do so, such as permits and background checks for the workers. To get around that, they used pasties and now will have to use bikinis if they don't want to register to be an SOB.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:21 PM

I wonder how much of the breast does the top have to cover? Bikini tops come in many syles and sizes. People can get pretty creative if you don't make the law strict enough to stifel that creativity. Come to think of it, breasts come in all styles and sizes also. This will be a nightmare to regulate unless they require complete coverage, no visible cleavage. At that point Splash Town and the water parks at Sea World and elsewhere locally would have to regulate bikini styles or register as a S. O. B.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
I wonder how much of the breast does the top have to cover? Bikini tops come in many syles and sizes. People can get pretty creative if you don't make the law strict enough to stifel that creativity.
I'm sure that'll be the next salvo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio