Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2013, 06:14 PM

50 posts, read 102,254 times

Advertisements

Are such options common in San Antonio?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 06:54 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
Isn't "renting to own" basically the same as "buying?!?"

If you're talking about property, how is that any different than purchasing?

If you're talking about appliances and furniture, usually those places have such exorbitant interest rates you're better off using a credit card or even getting a loan.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:22 PM

50 posts, read 102,254 times
Sorry, I wasn't clear. What I meant is a "lease option".
I copied this from wiki definition:
A lease option (more formally Lease With the Option to Purchase) is a type of contract used in both residential and commercial real estate. In a lease-option, a property owner and tenant agree that, at the end of a specified rental period for a given property, the renter has the option of purchasing the property.
I am not too clear about how it works. I am exploring, trying to find out more, to see if it is applicable to my situation.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:17 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,271,468 times
My husband knew someone who did rent to own with some of his properties. Often the people never finished the contract so he would start over with the next person. I'm not sure how you would find a property with that option. Most likely not through a realtor so maybe Craigslist or online somewhere.

From what I understand a portion of the rent applies toward a down payment which is applied at some point when the sale is finalized. I'm sorry but I have no idea how you get to the sale point

Old 05-05-2013, 08:40 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,423,879 times
It's done, but not often. Honestly, it's not a great option for buyers, as you're throwing SO much money away. It's actually something that we (as Realtors) have to have an attorney write up if we do one. There are so many caveats and so many ways for it to go south that most tend not to touch them. I've only done one in my career (about 6 months ago) and while everything is looking good, neither party are 100% comfortable with it just yet.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:04 PM

13 posts, read 16,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFranciscoTX View Post
Sorry, I wasn't clear. What I meant is a "lease option".
I copied this from wiki definition:
A lease option (more formally Lease With the Option to Purchase) is a type of contract used in both residential and commercial real estate. In a lease-option, a property owner and tenant agree that, at the end of a specified rental period for a given property, the renter has the option of purchasing the property.
I am not too clear about how it works. I am exploring, trying to find out more, to see if it is applicable to my situation.
Lease Options for more than 6 months is no longer used due to new state laws. Some home owners may not be aware of the new law and still do it.

An alternative is owner financing, but the problem is that majority will not be able to refi due to lack of equity. I would save up and buy using HUD.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:34 AM

2 posts, read 2,155 times
Default Option to buy

We have a property that we would lease w/option to buy- in zip 78240- if interested contact (email)me for more information.

Old 05-26-2013, 01:07 PM

13 posts, read 16,521 times
You guys need to pay attention to Texas law about lease options
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio