Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 09:27 PM

952 posts, read 2,634,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post
Yes, this is btwn the golf course and Uhr Rd.
we are currently renting in the area and are moving out end of the month to the other side of town. If I were a single woman such as yourself, I would settle here - but that's just me. Everything I need is convenient and I'm all for convenience I like having everything close to me, others may disagree, but that's okay. Yes the homes here are older such 1980's built homes but I guess it is up to you as a homeowner how well you keep up and maintain your home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 09:32 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,967,438 times
Sure it is up to me how well I keep my home up, but I don't want to buy into an area where the vast majority of the homes are not kept up. I want a place that will hopefully retain or increase in value if I decide to move in five or ten years.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:56 PM

952 posts, read 2,634,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post
Sure it is up to me how well I keep my home up, but I don't want to buy into an area where the vast majority of the homes are not kept up. I want a place that will hopefully retain or increase in value if I decide to move in five or ten years.
hmm retaining the value of the home is doable but I'm no expert, not sure about increasing the value of the home from $140K to $200 or more in a few years, no matter how well kept your home may be, maybe a RE agent can give you a more definite answer.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:58 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,440,762 times
What about crownridge/ royal ridge?

Old 05-07-2013, 10:00 PM

4,327 posts, read 7,235,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
That area was built back in the 70's and part of it was built on a land fill.
If you go to historicaerials.com, you can put in the address, overlay the current street layout, and see what was there going as far back as 1955 (for the San Antonio area). It looks to me like the vast majority of Northern Hills was farm land, up until the 1973 aerial, when some residential development had been started.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:10 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
There are a lot of nice looking, well kept, Brady Bunch-ish homes off of Scarsdale and Bell Dr with tree lined streets, etc. Overall, it's a pretty safe, quiet area. You might get more for your money on say, the northwest side of town. No, the homes aren't brand spanking new, but if you can find a steal, go for it. The only thing I don't like is the alley entrance ways and the close vicinity to Nacogdoches Rd (that seems to be the cusp). Foundation issues exist all over SA. The area seems to have maintained itself well since I moved here in '06. If anything, it's going up with the rebuilding of the corner between Thousand Oaks and Nacogdoches.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:30 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Northern Hills used to be a really nice neighborhood, but some of the other neighborhoods around there are pretty run down. My parents live a couple miles from Northern Hills, but instead of going to the HEB in the area, they drive 10 miles down the highway to the one at 1604 and 281.

If you're looking for a garden home, there are some nice older ones off Heimer Rd.
That doesn't make any sense. There are 3 HEB locations in the area: Perrin Beitel/Thousand Oaks, Nacogdoches/O'Connor (24/7), and Thousand Oaks/Jones Maltsberger. The one on Thousand Oaks is nice enough. I don't know how much closer they are, but there would be less traffic going to Austin Hwy, Nacogdoches/New Braunfels, and Basse in Lincoln Heights. There is also the location on Brookhollow, but I was never a fan of that store. I haven't been there in years though.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:25 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,967,438 times
I am avoiding the south and west sides, not because I have anything against them, but wanted something btwn SA and Austin.

Anyhow, thanks for everyone's feedback. :-)

Old 05-08-2013, 11:15 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
That doesn't make any sense. There are 3 HEB locations in the area: Perrin Beitel/Thousand Oaks, Nacogdoches/O'Connor (24/7), and Thousand Oaks/Jones Maltsberger. The one on Thousand Oaks is nice enough. I don't know how much closer they are, but there would be less traffic going to Austin Hwy, Nacogdoches/New Braunfels, and Basse in Lincoln Heights. There is also the location on Brookhollow, but I was never a fan of that store. I haven't been there in years though.
My parents don't have to make sense they never have...but the one at Nacogdoches and O'Connor and Perrin Beitel/1000 Oaks are too ghetto for my mom, she says that they are always full of gangbangers and thugs.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:09 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My parents don't have to make sense they never have...but the one at Nacogdoches and O'Connor and Perrin Beitel/1000 Oaks are too ghetto for my mom, she says that they are always full of gangbangers and thugs.
This made me laugh because I know this is not true. No, I guess they don't have to make sense. I actually prefer the one on Perrin Beitel because it's small and I know where everything is. The staff is a lot more helpful and friendly than the one on 281/1604 or Lincoln Heights. At least I never have to bag my own groceries.

Anyway, OP, there's really nothing wrong with Northern Hills if you like older (1980s LOL), clean, quiet, safe, established neighborhoods. Sure, there are plenty of naysayers on this board who think anything less than a brand new 4000 square foot house north of 1604 is considered ghetto. There's nothing I can do about that. I live right between Northern Hills and Bulverde/1604. I've been here 7 years, moved here from a typical all white Mayberry-ish town in New England. Sheltered? You had better believe it. Guess what? Never been a victim of a crime, nothing to fear. Maybe I just don't see what the big deal is because I don't remember what it was like in 1980. Eh...it is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio