Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 07:39 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,348,331 times

Advertisements

Well the low turnout gets worse.

1 vote -- the only vote -- decides Lytle school board race | News - Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 08:05 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
That is pretty bad. Lytle is a small town but not THAT small.

In San Antonio low voter turnout seems to work in the favor of corrupt politicians here it seems.

I can't confirm this but my mom who is a teacher told me that prek4sa teachers will be starting out at $60K plus. (Can anyone confirm this?) I guess that is why they are trying to figure out funding for transportation to and from prek4...er...ehm...free daycare becuase that wasn't factored into this brilliant project by our wonderful mayor.

I would feel different about this prek4sa proposal if it wasn't some sneaky scheme funded by everyone for only a select few. I know I am going off topic here but I am stating why I did not vote for Castro this time around like I have in the past.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:08 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
I saw that story on the news last night. I thought it was strange that the poll workers and both candidates didn't even vote in that race.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:09 AM

I wonder if that single vote was Christina Mercado's own vote?

Old 05-13-2013, 08:42 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,461,778 times
what are these elections for? i thought elections happened last year in november. How do people vote for people they never heard of. If i vote for my district leader, but i never heard of him/her/it, then how do i cast my vote. How do learn about these creatures and what they stand for? I dont watch TV. so i cannot see these creature try to lie to me on there.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:27 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
what are these elections for? i thought elections happened last year in november. How do people vote for people they never heard of. If i vote for my district leader, but i never heard of him/her/it, then how do i cast my vote. How do learn about these creatures and what they stand for? I dont watch TV. so i cannot see these creature try to lie to me on there.
Without television, I guess that leaves newspapers as the best place to learn about your local elected officials.

San Antonio News, Weather, Sports, Spurs, Breaking | Express-News | mySA.com - San Antonio Express-News

Home - San Antonio Express-News

You can also subscribe to email updates from the mayor and council. Most of them (and often their opponents) are on Twitter and Facebook.

http://www.sanantonio.gov/council

Old 05-13-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Without television, I guess that leaves newspapers as the best place to learn about your local elected officials.

San Antonio News, Weather, Sports, Spurs, Breaking | Express-News | mySA.com - San Antonio Express-News

Home - San Antonio Express-News

You can also subscribe to email updates from the mayor and council. Most of them (and often their opponents) are on Twitter and Facebook.

http://www.sanantonio.gov/council
As someone who is anti-twitter and anti-Facebook, this leaves me only the local newspaper which I had to subscribe to for the first time due to the changes at mysa.com/expressnews.com.

The local newspaper did a poor job of educating locals of the canidates.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
The local newspaper did a poor job of educating locals of the canidates.
Maybe. They've been fairly active at raking the incumbent in my district over the coals. So much so, that she had to invest more time in the week going into the election refuting articles in the Express-News than she did arguing against her opponent.

The problem is, other media don't even bother to go to city council meetings anymore. This is all there is now.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:28 PM

841 posts, read 1,747,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
That is pretty bad. Lytle is a small town but not THAT small.

In San Antonio low voter turnout seems to work in the favor of corrupt politicians here it seems.

I can't confirm this but my mom who is a teacher told me that prek4sa teachers will be starting out at $60K plus. (Can anyone confirm this?) I guess that is why they are trying to figure out funding for transportation to and from prek4...er...ehm...free daycare becuase that wasn't factored into this brilliant project by our wonderful mayor.

I would feel different about this prek4sa proposal if it wasn't some sneaky scheme funded by everyone for only a select few. I know I am going off topic here but I am stating why I did not vote for Castro this time around like I have in the past.
Unfortunately, you are correct: Welcome To The City of San Antonio Human Resources Department

I am a fan of Julian, but the way the pre-k 4SA has been handled (location and cost of the centers, pay that is more than 50% above "real world") does not please me. I also don't like the fact that if you are middle class... sorry.

BUT, back to the topic, I am glad to see the changes that the voters have initiated in the Harlandale and San Antonio ISD's.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:35 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,877,109 times
Even though you do not live in our district Montirob, were you not a fan of Leticia Ozuna?

So glad she is out, she voted to give $180,000 worth of taxpayer money to the Code for America Program (CfA), spoke in favor of that program in both Austin and New Orleans, then after a few months her spouse was hired by Code for America.

When it comes to Pre-K 4 SA, voters such as yourself are only for or against it based on what it can do for you personally and will ignore the academic studies that would reveal how it can help the city as a whole.

Progressives rely more on the philosophy that a rising tide lifts all ships and rely on how scholarship informs us and not just in what can be done for themselves personally because in the end we will all benefit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio