Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 03:23 AM

17 posts, read 50,887 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any information on Schuler Sign Company which was located on E. Commerce in San Antonio?
I am hoping to get some information on this company and maybe some photos of signs they created.
I understand they were known for the gold leaf glass signs.
Any information about the company and photos of their signs would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 08:37 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,923,039 times
Well Roger, I guess you just hit the lottery. I know pretty much all you want to know about Willy Schuler and his sign company, or Uncle Willy as we kids called him. All of the gold leaf work that came out of his shop was done by my grandfather who was in partnership with Willy. My grandfather was one of seven Signature Sign Painters in the US and was known for his work. He also did the gold work that is still there on the clock tower at UT Austin. In regards to pictures of signs, I have a box of stuff here somewhere but finding it is going to be a problem. So I gotta ask, why the interest?

Old 05-22-2013, 09:05 AM

Thank you so much for your reply. I have an old gold leave sign that in small letter reads,"SCHULER". I was told that Shuler Signs was on E Commerce, here in San Antonio, but have not been able to find any information on the company. I also remember having seen the name on several doors that had signs painted on the glass. I was hoping to get some history on the company in order to date my sign. I know Schuler did work for the Buckhorn Hall of Horns and the Lone Star Brewery when the museum was on the Lone Star Brewery grounds. Any time we had company come in to San Antonio, my dad would take us all out there. As a kid, I must have gone 8 to 10 times a year. I am 49 years old now.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:51 AM

I'm going to have to do this in relays, sorry. Here's the first Schuler Sign company. Find the Alamo at the top center. Coming down the pic, the next building is a 2 story- that was Central Tire back in the 20's. The next single story building was the first Schuler Sign Company.

Willy then moved to the E Commerce location and the final place of business was on Austin Street. As I remember correctly, they moved into the Austin St location in the early 60's.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:40 AM

Wow, thank you very much. That's more info than I expected. Are they still in business?

Old 05-22-2013, 12:27 PM

Willie died in 1988. He had pretty much retired from the business. My grandfather, George E Notz died in 1972, is the one that did the gold leaf you have. He did a lot of work for Karotkins, HEB, Kallisons, Joskes, and all of the other gold leaf in the area. At the time, it was rare to find someone who could master the technique. I did quite a lot of the pestle and mortar of the gold leaf for him when I was a kid. I helped lay out the artwork for him as well. My Uncle followed his dad in the business and also worked at Schuler Sign for a while. He retired from Handy Andy food stores as the artist who made the newspaper ads. None of these folks are alive today. Depending on what the sign is, I might be able to give you an approximate date.
My grandfather being a Signature Sign painter also did the sides of buildings. There's still one downtown next to the buildings and inspections dept of SA. I think it's a Maxwell House Coffee sign. Probabilities are high if you see a sign painted on the side of a building that's old, Schuler Sign did the job. At the time, they were the biggest and the best in town.
Schuler did this sign. The pic is dated 1927

If you get into Google Maps, look up 701 Austin Street. Go to the street view and I'm pretty sure that's the last Schuler Sign . It had a leanto roof on the south side of the building where they did artwork and signs on commercial trucks and cars. Back in the day, a magnetic sign or a vinyl sign would get your truck hauled off if parked on the street downtown. Things have changed though.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:39 PM

847 posts, read 2,231,985 times

in 1936 the address is listed as 819 E Houston

Old 05-22-2013, 03:39 PM

Gee Mud, I was hoping you'd have something on this. I don't have near enough info on this side of the family. Any little thing is helpful. I have pics back in the 30's of signs and company trucks and even family members but I didn't have a phone listing. Most folks don't wanna believe it when I tell them the shop was next to the Alamo. Now I have that in a phone directory- thanks to you. As always- you da man!

FWIW, I had forgotten about Mr Dyer. He was great guy around us kids. He was still alive in the early 90's but has passed since. The name listed as the owner M F Schuler is actually Willys sister Florence. I never quite understood why she was listed as the owner when she really didn't have much to do with the shop except keep books. Back then, that was maybe a hour a day job except on payday.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:58 PM

The signs I have are the glass sign in the doors to the Lone Star Brewery Gift Shop. They read "Lone Star Gift Shop" and in small letters "SCHULER".

Old 05-29-2013, 10:34 PM

The signs I have are the glass sign in the doors to the Lone Star Brewery Gift Shop. They read "Lone Star Gift Shop" and in small letters "SCHULER". Do you have any info on these signs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio