Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 05:42 PM

10 posts, read 23,832 times

Advertisements

I have searched and found plenty of advise for higher income people and renters however, not much said for the decent lower middle class family. Hope this question might benefit others as well.

I too am looking for a place to move. The main reason for considering San Antonio is because of its affordability. I am aware that there are good parts of town and not so desireable parts. I have noticed that the more desirable places to live are mentioned by name however, nobody mentions the areas not so desirable by name. I am not wealthy by any means, we are decent & honest middle class family. I would like to live in a neighborhood with people like us who are conscientious of how their habits or decisions can affect the rest.

In considering neighborhoods, I look at the surrounding neighborhoods (this could help at predicting crime). The overall condition of each home in the neighborhood (this could help at predicting renters vs owners). How much pride is taken by the owner(this could help predicting valorization of the neighborhood). Neighborhoods were I see oil stains in the driveway or street makes me run from there (if they can'r keep up with their vehicle probably can't keep up with a home).

With all that said, I have a budget of $135K. I would like to be able to ride a bike or walk in the evenings through the neighborhood. Where people look after their homes and they are not old. Where crime is low. Where kids still call you "sir" and are not yelling and cursing. Where schools are decent.

Are there places like that left for middle class people in the San Antonio area?
Any constructive information from residents will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 06:06 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,681,224 times
Check out the Northern Hills neighborhood off Thousand Oaks/Uhr Road area. NEISD schools.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:24 PM

117 posts, read 343,447 times
Silver Oaks may fit your need. Its located just outside of Helotes. Also check out builder websites (centex, dr Horton, kb) you could probably find a nice home in that range near Alamo Ranch which is very clean and new and located South West outside of 1604 near hwy 151 and 90.

These are both new homes in a good part of town that would fit your need.
http://www.centex.com/communities/tx...x#.Ua_XA0Yo4fc

Old 06-05-2013, 06:30 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,438,492 times
I like windcrest and royal ridge, for your needs. I would never buy new in that price range.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:41 PM

10 posts, read 23,832 times
Excellent!!! Thank you (buffyfan, cddweller & smuboy86) for the recomendations. I will start looking into them.
Any CONS & PROS for these suggestions?

Northen Hills
Silver Oaks
Alamo Ranch
Windcrest
Royal Ridge

Old 06-05-2013, 09:38 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,438,492 times
Windcrest and royal ridge have traditionally been home to military officer retirees. Thus homes are better kept up. Windcrest is its own city, with police and fire exclusive to it. Windcrest and northern hills both have country clubs/ golf courses.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:51 PM

9,849 posts, read 13,690,768 times
Look into Oxbow and Babcock North as welle Oxbow is right across the street from the elementary school and has Leon Creek Greenway right next to it with a park for the kids as well.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:23 AM

733 posts, read 1,047,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmorgan10411 View Post

With all that said, I have a budget of $135K. I would like to be able to ride a bike or walk in the evenings through the neighborhood. Where people look after their homes and they are not old. Where crime is low. Where kids still call you "sir" and are not yelling and cursing. Where schools are decent.
avoid the majority of the south side. avoid the east and west sides like the plague. the rest of SA, YMMV. it really depends on the parents, as ive known brats in alamo heights to act like morons out of the far east/west sides.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:22 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,875,013 times
Quote:
Outside of a time machine set to the 1950s there is always moving out into the country? Might have to trade in the bike for a horse but you have to do what you have to do.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:40 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,340,840 times
Quote:
Excellent!!! Thank you (buffyfan, cddweller & smuboy86) for the recomendations. I will start looking into them.
Any CONS & PROS for these suggestions?

Northen Hills
Silver Oaks
Alamo Ranch
Windcrest
Royal Ridge
Good luck finding a decent place in Alamo Ranch with the budget they have. There are a few tiny pockets where builders advertise within their budget but I sure wouldn't buy one of those
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio