Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 01:22 PM

1 posts, read 10,152 times

Advertisements

I am currently considering relocating to San Antonio from MA. Does anyone have any feedback on how well the public schools handle autism? Are there areas of the city that are better to be in than others? Any feedback at all would be appreciated on life in general with an autistic child in San Antonio. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 03:31 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Greater San Antonio has nearly 2 dozen school districts, each with their own governance and policies.

Fortunately, this is a topic that has been covered before here. Here are a few of the more active threads.

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...ghlight=Autism

Old 12-16-2013, 07:50 PM

98 posts, read 344,854 times
Check into Mom's Connect About Autism. Th ladies will answer any question you have about services in San Antonio.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:23 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
The Arc of San Antonio Serving People with Developmental Disabilities

Also, NISD has done an excellent job with our 13-yr-old autistic son; who has been going to NISD schools for eight years now...

Old 12-19-2013, 09:56 AM

15 posts, read 28,314 times
I would say it really depends on the school and the teacher. Districts will have their own policies, but how strong the spec team and the teachers are in specific schools will be the ultimate factor in how well your child succeeds. I was a teacher at a school in NISD, and I will say that we have a phenomenal spec ed team for support. I also taught at Southside ISD and it was less than sub par. In general, the schools with a lower income population and going to have less support for any type of special need students. What part of town are you planning on moving to?

Old 04-26-2015, 07:50 PM

1 posts, read 7,681 times
Which high school is your son attending? Our son will be starting HS when we move next summer (2016). Thank you!

Old 04-27-2015, 08:29 PM

55 posts, read 89,432 times
We are relocating to San Antonio this summer. I have a 6 year old with moderate to significant autism. Based on everything I've read online, the two best school districts for ASD kids (and the 2 best in general) are NISD and NEISD. I called The Arc of San Antonio and the outreach director said that NISD works more closely with The Arc. She also introduced me (via email) to a parent support person so I'm excited and hopeful they will be able to give me a more personal view of things. I do know that NISD is a bigger district and may have more autism resources because of that (lots of info on their website) but I haven't actually called them yet.

However, I did call and spoke with the autism coordinator for NEISD and she gave me the following helpful information:

All children with disabilities are served at their home school (the school they are zoned for) whether they do full- or part- inclusion or are in a self-contained (ALE) classroom. Each school has one or two ALE classrooms and an additional will open if necessary---it's based on how many special needs children are enrolled at that school. More intensive behavioral intervention is offered at three NEISD schools (Redland Oaks, Heubner, and Northwood). So if your kiddo exhibits behavior that needs more support (I'm assuming like violent outbursts, self-injury, disruptive stimming) that's the only time they will send you to a school that you aren't zoned for geographically. All paraprofessional staff has updated training on autism support. The NEISD has 2, about to be 3 BCBAs that provide oversight and additional training to the staff when needed. Additional training can also be requested by the parent at the annual ARD meeting (the Texas term for an IEP meeting).

I hope this helps anyone else with a child on the spectrum relocating to San Antonio. I will add more information after I call the NISD special ed coordinator and talk to that parent support person as well.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:08 PM

After some more digging, I've heard from two different people that Redland Oaks Elementary stands out as a good public school for ASD kiddos. It's at least worth a tour if you're headed to SA.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:55 PM

117 posts, read 200,006 times
How about middle schools? Which ones have better special ed. services?

Old 04-28-2015, 10:00 PM

One person I spoke to had a positive experience at Driscoll middle school (Redland Oaks Elementary feeds into it) and I also heard Tejeda was good for special needs. (I feel like I've read somewhere on here that Tejeda might have a cap??)

I'm going to assume that the three NEISD campuses that have the specialized units (Redland Oaks, Northwood, Heubner) as well as the middle and high schools they feed into are good places to start in your search.

I still haven't called NISD so that's why I haven't mentioned them yet. But I did hear of a special needs mom with a thus-far very positive experience at Mireles elementary in Alamo Ranch, and also some good things about Bob Beard up in Sonoma Ranch. For middle schools, again, I would start with the ones that those elementaries feed into. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio