Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2013, 09:14 AM

21 posts, read 27,290 times

Advertisements

I may be relocating to the SA area. I would be working around the Soledad Street - South Main Avenue location in downtown. I am looking for any suggestions on apartment rentals & areas, but have no idea about the general area or traffic.

Wish list
  • Outdoor space, easily walkable to parks, waterways, other outdoor activities
  • Prefer single family home to concrete apartment jungle complexes
  • Safe area
  • Easy commute to/ from work. Current commute is about 25 minutes, I'd like about that time
  • Suburban/ rural atmosphere preferrable (willing to drive to shop, bar-hop, etc)
  • Total price around $700-800/ month
Any advice on areas, complexes, etc., would be greatly appreciated. I will be in the area in a week for a few days, so I'd like ideas on places to check out.

Also, I am potentially toying with the idea of living far out of town if I would relocate. Are there any places like Kingsland that are not a horrible commute? Near water, rural, low density populations.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 09:27 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
To be super rural you won't be within the 25 minute commute. The areas I was thinking of as out are like New Braunfels, Canyon Lake and Seguin. That's a good 45 minute drive downtown. I don't know where Kingsland is, so I wouldn't have any input on that.

Although our cost of living is relatively cheap, you won't be able to find a nice home in the 700-800 range. You may be able to find something in a unique fourplex within the loop for that price. Those areas are closer to parks and things to do, but you won't be rural or suburban. The drive to work from this type of area would be about 10/15 minutes.

There are some suburban areas near outdoorsy things. Look into zipcode 78249 to be close to the Leon Creek Greenway. There are more "concrete jungle" type of complexes in that area, but you will be near a 13 mile greenway as well as another park down the day. The drive to work from there will be about 20 minutes.

I think the best idea would be to just kind of look around while you are here. The more suburban feel you are looking for near water and the outdoors may be a bit of a hard find within your budget and desired commute.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:39 AM

Thanks for the feedback! When I was visiting relatives a couple months ago, we checked out New Braunfels & really liked it. I didn't like how close it was to the interstate & all the development going on so close. I guess that is just a sacrifice of community growth.

Are there any areas I may stumble across in that downtown location (Soledad - Main Avenue) that I should avoid for safety/ quality reasons? I am open to doing something short term if I relocate while I acclimate myself.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:49 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,348,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfits00 View Post
I may be relocating to the SA area. I would be working around the Soledad Street - South Main Avenue location in downtown. I am looking for any suggestions on apartment rentals & areas, but have no idea about the general area or traffic.

Wish list
  • Outdoor space, easily walkable to parks, waterways, other outdoor activities
  • Prefer single family home to concrete apartment jungle complexes
  • Safe area
  • Easy commute to/ from work. Current commute is about 25 minutes, I'd like about that time
  • Suburban/ rural atmosphere preferrable (willing to drive to shop, bar-hop, etc)
  • Total price around $700-800/ month
Any advice on areas, complexes, etc., would be greatly appreciated. I will be in the area in a week for a few days, so I'd like ideas on places to check out.

Also, I am potentially toying with the idea of living far out of town if I would relocate. Are there any places like Kingsland that are not a horrible commute? Near water, rural, low density populations.

Thanks!

Nothing like Kingsland is close enough to keep you in your 25 minute range. Lake Dunlop on the western fringes of Seguin could work but that's a 30 minute commute to work, bars, and shopping. Seguin has all the amenities people need for a general day. (HEB, Wal-Mart, JC Penny's, Etc.)

Old 06-07-2013, 09:57 AM

Are there any other areas similar to Kingsland/ Lake Dunlop that could be more reasonable for commuting to work? I am willing to go up to about 45 minutes or more if it's the right area.

Are there any areas that are easy commutes to/ from that area of town that aren't horrible traffic-wise during rush hour? My current commute is to the burbs, but against rush hour traffic, so it's not a worry.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:01 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,348,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfits00 View Post
Are there any other areas similar to Kingsland/ Lake Dunlop that could be more reasonable for commuting to work? I am willing to go up to about 45 minutes or more if it's the right area.
Lake McQueeny also would be an option and your right in between New Braunfels and Seguin for your amenties. (you would have three ways to get to work 78, 35, or 10)

Old 06-07-2013, 10:23 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
The areas suggested are about as close to outdoorsy watery things you are going to get. With your job in downtown you are going to be closer to urban than suburban. That area is fine safety wise. If that is your main concern there shouldn't be too much of a worry if you want to live a bit closer to work.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:38 AM

863 posts, read 867,076 times
Since you will be working downtown, consider looking at the areas south and east of San Antonio, like La Vernia, Floresville, etc. Those are rural areas and the commute would be easy.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:12 PM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I am going to do some research into these areas and will have more questions I am sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio