Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 12:04 PM

15 posts, read 51,617 times

Advertisements

Hi, is San Antonio dirty? I have heard that the city is very poor and is real rundown. Also (I am not racist) but I am unsure of moving there due to the giant population of hispanics. Here in Tucson it is 34% but in S.A. it is something like 60%. I moved from Alaska which was something like 95% white. I am not real used to the influx of races. I know a lot of hispanic people here in Tucson are mean, violent, and I don't like that. Is it like that in San Antonio? Where are the nice parts and the bad parts of the city? Would you say that the city is desert like or is it green? I really love cities that are green. Are there lots of trees and lakes? If anyone could get back to me, I would appreciate it very much. Thanks.

Daniel True

Last edited by Steel Man; 10-11-2006 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: Add information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2006, 12:41 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,652,329 times
You know I just saw a ranking in some mag. that had us in the top 20 for cleanest cities. Dirty nope not really, poor while it depends on where you travel in the city. Desert nope on that account, have lots of greenery here, not the big tall pines trees but still trees, not alot of lakes around though there are a few. I have learned in every city I have lived in that there are mean and violent people depends on the crowd you run with. I am sure that SA has its share but they are not of one racial group. If you have a problem with races intermingaling then SA might not be for you not that you would not be welcome here but it would need to be a fear you can get over and fast. Depending on what you are looking for I would say (for you not every one) stay out of the inner loop on the west,south and east sides. (I know all you locals are getting mad at me cause there are lots of good spots inside 410 but this guy does not sound like he needs to move there) Hope you find what you are looking for.

Old 10-11-2006, 12:51 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,243,051 times
SA dirty? Heck no. San Antonio is one of the beautiful places in the country. Sure there are the rough areas in terms of socio-economics, but every big city has that.

However the good more than out weights the bad.

Old 10-11-2006, 01:06 PM

2 posts, read 7,978 times
Im from Houston but been to SA alot and its not dirty. It's very beautiful. River walk is a must and of course the Alamo. Most of the north side is brand new. The reason it seems economically challenged is becuase there are about 5 big miliary bases there. These guys retire at 35 and take a job at 2/3 of what it would normally pay. The Hispanic population is fairly high but not any higher than the other border staes and certainly lower than LA

Old 10-11-2006, 03:33 PM

944 posts, read 3,063,328 times
SA is not the city for you if you do not like ethnic diversity (in the form of hispanics and whites mostly). I agree with neddy that many areas inside of the 410 loop are run down. I would say it's not dirtyness as much as it is just old, with many dilapidated houses (many formerly beautiful homes falling off of their foundations, collapsing carports, etc. in some parts). In this way, the inner parts of San Antonio reminded me a lot of New Orleans when I moved here. Many Southern cities have this "lived in" feel. Outside of the 410 loop is almost all new, but then lacks a soul. There is a smattering of beauty inside the 410 loop in certain rich areas of town. I'm white and almost all of my friends here are hispanic. I don't think the stereotype you describe is true for folks here. Most hispanics that I have met here have very deep roots in SA over generations (unlike most of the hispanics I knew in CA, who did not have roots in CA). I hope this helps.

Old 10-12-2006, 09:40 AM

121 posts, read 814,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_true View Post
Hi, is San Antonio dirty? I have heard that the city is very poor and is real rundown. Also (I am not racist) but I am unsure of moving there due to the giant population of hispanics. Here in Tucson it is 34% but in S.A. it is something like 60%. I moved from Alaska which was something like 95% white. I am not real used to the influx of races. I know a lot of hispanic people here in Tucson are mean, violent, and I don't like that. Is it like that in San Antonio? Where are the nice parts and the bad parts of the city? Would you say that the city is desert like or is it green? I really love cities that are green. Are there lots of trees and lakes? If anyone could get back to me, I would appreciate it very much. Thanks.

Daniel True
While nearly all of what you have stated in this post is at least partially untrue about San Antonio, something tells me it's probably just not the right town for you.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:05 AM

1 posts, read 2,603 times
Default San Antonio, tx

daniel_true
San Antonio is green. The people are nice.
No ethnic tensions.
Don't worry about it.
We hispanics are assimulating everyone else! lol

Trash pick ups consistant.
No union strikes.
Fiesta town.

San Antonio very laid back.
Military City USA.

Been lotsa places
Always came back.
More Bang for your bucks!

That's it!

Old 03-22-2011, 02:47 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,030,653 times
Watch out for DWIs, though. Just had a weirdo nearly sideswipe me on Jones Maltsberger Saturday night!

Old 03-22-2011, 03:40 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,713,106 times
Well, some might actually even go so far as to embarrassingly-admit that there is a pretty throbbingly-bad, stubbornly-ingrained Drunk Driving Culture here in Bexar County.....so, yeah.....watch out for that.......

Old 03-22-2011, 05:59 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
I moved here from a town in Ma, that is probably even "whiter" than your town. I have to say that most of the time, it's hard to tell if someone is even Hispanic at all. There's been so much assililation here. Since Hispanics are the majority, there is much less attitude here. It's less about ethnic backround, and more about class and education. There is a very, very strong Hispanc middle and upper-middle class here. Although there are safe and "less safe" areas across all quadrants, genrerally you should probably stick to the north side, Alamo Heights, Stone Oak. You have nothing to worry about. P.S. The meanest people I have met here are anglo, not Hispanic. That's still not very many, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio