Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 12:05 AM

226 posts, read 925,908 times

Advertisements

All,

I am looking to move from Cibolo to the NW side of San Antonio due to work. Any thoughts on Westover Hills? Specifically the new Estonia subdivision? Crime in the area etc.? Meritage Homes?

From what I noticed of the area there are a lot of apartment communities and a lot of older homes in the area. This is a sharp contrast compared to living in Cibolo.

Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 01:50 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
I'd go further west to the true "Westover Hills" area. Estonia is nice, but it is surrounded by little ghetto pockets. If your price point is in the low to mid 200s, I'd try to get in one of the more established neighborhoods like Stonegate Hill, Westover Woods, Mirabella, Westover Forest, etc.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:23 PM

221 posts, read 561,810 times
I sent you a DM

Old 06-17-2013, 08:54 PM

Default Westover Hills

Thanks for the information. I would definitely prefer to stay in Cibolo as compared to moving over to the NW side of San Antonio - lower taxes, lower auto insurance, etc. I am knocking off 26 miles off of my daily commute and my auto insurance rate will go up by $40 every six months when I move to NW San Antonio....ridiculous.

I have looked at the other subdivisions mentioned and I do not want a gated community. HOAs never take in enough money to pay for long term road maintenance. Estonia appeals to me due to the fact it is the closest new subdivision to my work < 4 miles and has decent schools. I also prefer a new home versus an older house. Upfront costs are sometimes a little more moving into a new home...blinds, yard, etc. But I will get a very energy efficient house and the layout I want.

As far as the pool vandalism, this is common just about anywhere you go. So this doesn't bother me. I looked at Aviara and the home prices are ridiculously high as compared to what I can get in Estonia which is less than 1 mile away. The Avira Ryland homes I looked at were 40-50K more for a similar lay out Meritage home with similar upgrades.

On another note, I went to the design center today and finished my selections of my Meritage home. Nothing like building a new home and once you move in tearing up the flooring and walls and putting down tile flooring, and backsplashes that you really want.

Last edited by joe123456; 06-17-2013 at 09:06 PM..

Old 06-17-2013, 10:27 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,665,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe123456 View Post
Thanks for the information. I would definitely prefer to stay in Cibolo as compared to moving over to the NW side of San Antonio - lower taxes, lower auto insurance, etc. I am knocking off 26 miles off of my daily commute and my auto insurance rate will go up by $40 every six months when I move to NW San Antonio....ridiculous.

I have looked at the other subdivisions mentioned and I do not want a gated community. HOAs never take in enough money to pay for long term road maintenance. Estonia appeals to me due to the fact it is the closest new subdivision to my work < 4 miles and has decent schools. I also prefer a new home versus an older house. Upfront costs are sometimes a little more moving into a new home...blinds, yard, etc. But I will get a very energy efficient house and the layout I want.

As far as the pool vandalism, this is common just about anywhere you go. So this doesn't bother me. I looked at Aviara and the home prices are ridiculously high as compared to what I can get in Estonia which is less than 1 mile away. The Avira Ryland homes I looked at were 40-50K more for a similar lay out Meritage home with similar upgrades.

On another note, I went to the design center today and finished my selections of my Meritage home. Nothing like building a new home and once you move in tearing up the flooring and walls and putting down tile flooring, back splashes that you really want.
Why not buy a Meritage Home in Stillwater Ranch on Culebra? That is a better area as far as crime goes. And tearing up new flooring, walls, back splashes??? Maybe you can work with the builder on the walls you want torn down (if they're not load bearing walls) and provide the materials you want to the builder to install them.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:17 PM

Default Whats the commute like on Culbera Road to Southwest Research Institute?

What's the rush hour commute like from Stillwater Ranch to Southwest Research Institute?

No walls will be taken down just possibly some tile from the walls. As far as getting the builder to install my tile, I am not planning on it. Tract builders don't usually allow for it. As far as Meritage goes in Stillwater, I don't like the plans. They offer upgraded floorplans in Estonia.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:20 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,026,358 times
They don't really like Russians in Estonia. A little something about us annexing them against their will.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:23 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
It sounds like you've made your decision regardless of what everyone has said. Good luck with your move!

Old 06-18-2013, 06:35 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
It sounds like you've made your decision regardless of what everyone has said. Good luck with your move!

That's exactly what I was thinking!

Old 06-18-2013, 08:21 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
That's exactly what I was thinking!
Even though they may have made the decision some people need to get reassurance for their decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio