Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 08:21 PM

470 posts, read 1,952,494 times

Advertisements

I am just curious if anyone has moved to San Antonio from NY or other east coast location. Can you share your experience on how you adjusted to the culture and life in San Antonio?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2006, 06:59 AM

2 posts, read 10,915 times
I just moved here three weeks ago from Boston, MA. I love the weather but I am looking for a temporary job while waiting to waive into the Texas Bar. It is too early to share any real experiences yet other than it is really interesting how everyone is so polite! Also, people follow all of the traffic rules, even pedestrians!

Old 10-16-2006, 10:53 AM

26 posts, read 154,147 times
I moved here from the Washington DC area (MD suburbs) 14 years ago. I loved the area the first year or so - it actually reminded me alot of the DC area, minus the traffic. In time tho I came to not like it here at all. The weather is enough to suck the life and pleasure out of anybody and anything (9 months of 'summer' is mentally & physically exhausting!). Also, the crime here is more worriesome than it was in the DC area - which was/is known as the Murder Capitol of the US! I will never forget enrolling my daughter in middle school in a nice area here in SA to find there was a gang problem there. And in EVERY school! There was even a drive-by shooting directly across the street from where I lived! Drive-bys were only things you read about back home, not something that was practically in your front yard! All I could think of was 'what if they'd made a mistake and shot up the wrong side of the street - ie; MY house!!! SCARY! As a result I have come to live in fear here. I dont feel comfortable in my home (I live in a very nice area by the way). I keep my doors locked and my shades drawn all the time. Im afraid of becoming the victim of a 'home invasion' or gang violence. I never leave my garage door open. I dont answer my door to strangers - ever! I avoid going out at night whenever possible. On a less serious but also annoying note, I find a large number of people here (adults and children) to be very rude. No one says please or thank you or excuse me.... One woman who was blocking the aisle in the grocery store for an inordinate amount of time, holding up many patrons (because no one would say EXCUSE ME) actually yelled at me when I said 'excuse me, can I get by'. You'd have thought I said 'hey b*itch, get the h*ll out of the way' (which is actually what I WANTED to say - LOL). I've had many MANY such experiences of people being equally rude. Sadly, the longer I live here the more I dont like it. I wish I could leave but complex personal circumstances prevent me from doing so. So, I'm sorry to say - I'd have to vote San Antonio as not such a great place to live.

What has your experience been? Do you like it here so far?

Regards
Robin

Old 10-16-2006, 11:18 AM

944 posts, read 3,062,912 times
Sorry you have had a bad experience, Robin1957. This is so interesting, because the weather and politeness of strangers are the only things I like about San Antonio. Kladuu's comment about people following traffic rules is also interesting. I believe San Antonio is only slightly better than Naples, Italy, as far as disorderliness and chaos on the roads is concerned. It's a free-for-all out there.

Old 10-16-2006, 01:23 PM

470 posts, read 1,952,494 times
Robin1956,

Interesting response. Certainly not what I expected. BTW, I visit the D.C. area a lot as I have an office there as well as exteneded family.

Living in New York City, I've seen quite a bit of "action". It sounds like you were describing things here, LOL.

Old 10-16-2006, 07:46 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,668,138 times
Default I Like San Antonio

I have lived in San Antonio for 16 years (this time, four years previously in the 1970's). I live in far west part just outside Loop 1604, so I'm in Bexar County. There have been no drive-by shootings in this area and gang activity is almost non-existent. In all my years here no one has been rude to me or my wife. Of course, this is a big city of more than 1 million people so experiences can be different. As for the weather, it doesn't bother me much. Try to imagine how people lived here before A/C was so widely available. Of course A/C is a luxury to some here even in this century. I like it here and in the Hill Country. I have lived in other states and in Japan, Okinawa, Philippines, South Korea, and Saudi Arabia. Texas and San Antonio is the place to be...but not everyone's cup of tea so to speak, and that's OK.

Old 10-17-2006, 09:24 AM

26 posts, read 154,147 times
Default We're neighbors!

Hey Steel Man, we're practically neighbors! I live just inside 1604 off Military Dr.

I often wonder myself how it must have been for people in 'the olden days' with no a/c. I can't even imagine.... Add to that the heavy clothing they wore - oh my! I shudder at the thought! They were a hardy bunch back then, thats for sure!

Oh no, did I read right - here or on another thread..... MORE road widening on 1604? Yikes.... will it ever end?!

How is everyone enjoying all this rain?!!! I just put new sod down in my WHOLE yard a couple weeks ago so I am LOVING it!

~R

Old 10-17-2006, 07:24 PM

469 posts, read 2,342,150 times
I lived in MD for 6 years (93-99) and while it was a lovely place (DC metro area) I could not stand all of the unhappy people. The crime there was also awful. We moved into our house 5 weeks ago and love the neighborhood we live in. It's very safe, we leave the garage open when we are home and everybody waves and says hello when we go for our walks (3 dogs=lots of walks). We live just outside the 1604 at Kyle Sealy and I don't know where others are having crime problems but we specifically picked a neighborhood so that we could move about freely with out being paranoid. Crime occurs everywhere, really expensive communities too but you have to try and walk the neighborhoods and see what kind of vibe you get. We didn't want to live in a place where all the people stayed inside their houses and peeked all paraniod outside their windows. Within the first week of us moving we had 4 neighbors come over and introduce themselves, got a batch of cookies too. We love it here, the people are really friendly.
BTW Robin, our sod was layed on September 8th and our water bill for running the sprinklers 2x a day everyday for a little less than 1 month was, are you sitting down? $398. Gotta love those draught prices. Anything over 20,000 gallons is at a higher price and we were at like 70,000 that first month. Yes, we are LOVIN the rain. Oh and we have turned down the watering schedule, our water variance expired on the 3rd and the sod looks great (thank God).

Old 12-16-2008, 01:41 PM

993 posts, read 2,490,731 times
Sorry for bringing this thread back to lifeI moved here from Fairfax County, where I lived in a safe, issue-free single family home development. Now I live in an apartment. I live in fear everyday, because I live by myself and don't have anyone to watch my back. I feel like people are always watching me. A few times at night I will go check on my car, to make sure it is still there, and that no one has put a door ding in it, and that they have given me enough space when I park. I live in fear everyday. Will this change? Who the heck knows.Everyone here is unfamiliar to me, and don't to seem to have grown up with the same values that I have.I have lived here since September and only gone out twice at night.Drivers here are inconsiderate, rarely used signals, throw their weight around, tailgate, and are self-centered.

Moderator Note: Old Thread w/last posting date of 10/17/06 revived by this post dtd 12/16/08

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 12-17-2008 at 01:43 AM.. Reason: mod note

Old 12-16-2008, 01:47 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,822,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newk View Post
Sorry for bringing this thread back to lifeI moved here from Fairfax County, where I lived in a safe, issue-free single family home development. Now I live in an apartment. I live in fear everyday, because I live by myself and don't have anyone to watch my back. I feel like people are always watching me. A few times at night I will go check on my car, to make sure it is still there, and that no one has put a door ding in it, and that they have given me enough space when I park. I live in fear everyday. Will this change? Who the heck knows.Everyone here is unfamiliar to me, and don't to seem to have grown up with the same values that I have.I have lived here since September and only gone out twice at night.Drivers here are inconsiderate, rarely used signals, throw their weight around, tailgate, and are self-centered.
Sucks to live in fear...do something about it. Move to a better neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio