Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2007, 11:26 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,365,125 times

Advertisements

Most local SAer's know about the legendary Tom Slick and the Southwest Research Foundation. I'm wanting to find anyone who knows exactly where the ESSAR Ranch was. I know it was in NW SA somewhere and I'm sure now swallowed up by a developement. I don't think it was all that far from Southwest Research.....and probably still in Bexar county.(At that time I'm sure it was in the sticks!) Anyway....It was in full operation up during the 50's and at least up until Tom Slicks death in 1962. I'm not sure how long it stayed intact after that time. For all I know it might still exist! (or part of it)

Any takers on this interesting bit of history?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 11:45 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,587,297 times
I think there is a road named Essar Ranch somewhere in the northwest quadrant of 151 and 410. Tom Slick was a very ecentric person. I have worked for SwRI for many years. The is even a street on campus named Tom Slick avenue. I was here before we had street signs and it was my idea to name the main drag Tom Slick Ave. Of course I didn't get credit for it some VP probably took the credit. I aquired a Tom Slick Ave street sign which now hangs in my office at home.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:22 PM

546 posts, read 3,104,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
I think there is a road named Essar Ranch somewhere in the northwest quadrant of 151 and 410. Tom Slick was a very ecentric person. I have worked for SwRI for many years. The is even a street on campus named Tom Slick avenue. I was here before we had street signs and it was my idea to name the main drag Tom Slick Ave. Of course I didn't get credit for it some VP probably took the credit. I aquired a Tom Slick Ave street sign which now hangs in my office at home.
I've heard that you guys (and gals) at SWRI have one of Slicks' Yetis (or is it Bigfoot?) hidden over there. True?

Man, too bad that proposed Slick movie "Tom Slick: Monster Hunter" (with Nicolas Cage playing the title role!) never got the go-ahead, would've been mighty interesting.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s247/theweirdone1971/bigfoot.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-06-2007, 01:14 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,650,964 times
Hubby worked at SWRI and they got all sorts of things hidden around there! WCAt take at look at this link it might help ya
Handbook of Texas Online:

Old 11-06-2007, 02:47 PM

159 posts, read 784,924 times
I heard Slick was into cryptozoology, I wouldnt be surprised if they did have a bigfoot or skunk ape there. I was listening to a podcast where Dr. Rodger Lear (a doctor whom removes implants from abductees) said he has sent some of the implants he removes to SWRI for testing. He referred to it as a black ops lab.......is it even a govt lab? Ive heard SWRI mentioned on two other podcast and Coast to Coast AM, who knows what else goes on there that the "regular" employees know nothing about. If anyone has ever heard any interesting stories about this place Id like to hear about it. A guy called (former employee) into Coast to Coast one night with a bizzare story about that place.....so strange I really dont believe it, so I wont tell it. I live about five min from this place and Ive always wondered about what goes on there.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:03 PM

454 posts, read 505,202 times
Can't help you but just wanted to clarify there's Southwest Research Institute (SwRI) and Southwest Foundation for Biomed Research (SFBR). Sister institutes (complete with feuding over inheritance..), but distinct. So when you say "Southwest Foundation" you're refering to the "Monkey Place".

Everyone always confuses the two and it drives me batty (I used to work at SFBR, the husband is at SwRI).

Old 11-06-2007, 08:44 PM

546 posts, read 3,104,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakapu View Post
Can't help you but just wanted to clarify there's Southwest Research Institute (SwRI) and Southwest Foundation for Biomed Research (SFBR). Sister institutes (complete with feuding over inheritance..), but distinct. So when you say "Southwest Foundation" you're refering to the "Monkey Place".

Everyone always confuses the two and it drives me batty (I used to work at SFBR, the husband is at SwRI).
Yep, to clarfiy, Bigfoot is locked up at the Southwest Research Institute (SwRI), which Slick founded. Slick also founded the Mind Science Foundation in Olmos Park (where "the Secret School" is located, cue Twilight Zone music here ) Mind Science Foundation

Anyhoo, yeah, Slick was big-time into Cryptozoology, a really fascinating man, died too young (at 46, plane crash), and I wonder what cool discoveries in this far-out field he would've made had he lived longer. My Uncle was really good friends with him, revered the man, I mean, to him, Slick was THE man.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:55 PM

898 posts, read 2,895,196 times
I never knew who Tom B Slick was, but I did now who this Tom Slick was..from the 60's cartoons

Old 11-07-2007, 05:48 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,365,125 times
This part of the information Neddy provided seems to answer my question. The two together are referred to as the Southwest Reseach Center and apparently were established on the orginal ESSAR Ranch.

Anyone of you that work/worked there know if the Victorian house (referred below) is still standing? Do they give tours of either facility?

"The institute is eight miles west of downtown in the city limits of San Antonio. It was founded in 1947 as a public trust for charitable and educational purposes by Thomas Baker Slick, Jr.,qv a San Antonio oilman, rancher, and philanthropist. The institute began operations on what was then a part of the Essar Ranch, a Slick family holding. The ranch headquarters, a three-story Victorian home, served as the institute's first offices and laboratories."

"The institute sponsors internal seminar programs by distinguished visiting scientists and engineers; meetings of national and international societies have been held annually in San Antonio with SWRI serving as host and partial organizer. The institute and its sister organization, the Southwest Foundation for Biomedical Research,qv are together known as the Southwest Research Center. SFBR was also founded by Thomas Baker Slick, Jr., in 1941. It is located immediately west of the institute on several hundred acres of land near the junction of Southwest Military Drive and Interstate Highway 410. The two organizations are physically separate, are governed by different boards of directors, and have no legal obligations to each other. Their scientists do, however, cooperate in projects of mutual interest based on agreements by their two presidents. The institute and the foundation, together with the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio and the University of Texas at San Antonio, compose an organization known as the Southwest Research Consortium, which facilitates cooperation in selected research programs," - The Texas Handbook Online

Old 11-07-2007, 07:34 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,587,297 times
The victorian house that the Texas Handbook is refering to would be the Cable House. Sadly it was torn down many years ago. It was a grand looking old place that, IMO, should have been restored. There is a scale model of it on display in the library.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio