Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2013, 12:55 PM

18 posts, read 30,600 times

Advertisements

How long would that take around 5 AM and coming back around 6PM??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 07:48 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
Early in the morning it should be about average google maps time (just google coming and going). Rush hour will be hectic as most likely you'll be heading toward 35 at some point. I avoid that 410/35 interchange at all costs at all times. This might be different though depending on what you consider northwest as some people consider NW anywhere from Potranco/1604 to Castle Hills.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:12 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,473,840 times
I consider the NW side to be between 151 and IH-10. I notice that a lot of people on this forum want to extend the NW side all the way down to what is clearly the westside. The area between IH-10 and 281 is the north central side to me.

As Ashbeeigh said, you can use Google Maps to determine how long the trip will be during light traffic. The trip will be significantly longer during the evening rush hour. If you search for directions during the time you plan to travel, Google will attempt to estimate the trip time during current traffic.

While I'm not an engineer, I think another poster made the whole NE and eastside foundation problems scarier than they actually are. I have friends and family members who have lived on the NE for decades without any problems. As long as you don't buy a home from a cheap builder, you will most likely be alright. There are many people on this forum who think that everyone should live in Alamo Ranch, Stone Oak, or some small town out in the boonies. I'm waiting for the Alamo Heights guy and the Southtown people to come out, but at least those places will be closer to your husband's job.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:44 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I consider the NW side to be between 151 and IH-10. I notice that a lot of people on this forum want to extend the NW side all the way down to what is clearly the westside. The area between IH-10 and 281 is the north central side to me.
Unlike municipalities like Alamo Heights or Castle Hills that have clearly defined borders the definition of NW, NC, etc will always be subjective, although I do roll my eyes when i hear people that live out near Redbird Ranch area saying they live on the Northwest side of the city. There's no way that's west.

As far as a better commute maybe look into Windcrest. I am not sure about the exact price range but it's more established and may not have as many foundation issues. Just stay away from Camelot as it is not incorporated into the city of San Antonio and is neglected by the county.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:57 PM

I heard that Camelot I is not that bad, and that's in the city. Camelot II is the the unincorporated area and is horrible. Don't move to the Glen or Sunrise either even though Sunrise is in San Antonio.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:57 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,866,126 times
I live on the far west side and my husband works near the AT&T center. His morning commute is 25 minutes, at 5am when there's almost no traffic. On the way home, the drive is 30-45 minutes depending on traffic.

About what was mentioned above, the NE side and foundation issues really varies by area. My mom has lived on the NE side for more than 30 years and has no foundation trouble. MIL has lived in Live Oak at least that long and also has no foundation trouble. Both of their homes were built by Ray Ellison, which had a reputation for being a cheap, low quality homebuilder, but they had no trouble and I haven't heard of any of my mom's neighbors having to have foundation repairs either. I looked at 6 or 7 houses in Meadowbrook when we were house-hunting three years ago and they all had foundation problems, so I gave up on that area. Ironically, we bought a brand-new house in an area which was supposed (according to our Realtor) to be less likely to have foundation problems, and three years later, our foundation is cracked in half and you can put your whole hand into the crack in the floor in the center of the house.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:07 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,917,103 times
Depends on where yer coming from, obviously. Look on a map of SA and find Seaworld. I made that trip for years to Kirby which is north of 410/87 but drive time would be the same- 35-40 minutes. Great part, most of the drive is against traffic so there isn't much headed in the same direction you are. Same for in the evening. Bad part, at certain times of the year you'll be headed straight into the sun- both ways. A GREAT set of sunglasses is required. I will warn you now though, if driving IH10/90, on the eastside they still like to run a lot of radar. Watch the speed limit.

Quote:
I think another poster made the whole NE and eastside foundation problems scarier
Okay Skippy, I am the Past President of the Alamo Area Lumbermans Assoc, Founding Family of the Greater San Antonio Home Builder Assoc, Adjunct faculty to ACCD Adult Ed teaching structural residential and commercial component construction, and I'm a PE, not that you have a clue what any of that is but I've been in the building game and building methodology in SA for the last 52 years. And your credentials are...besides your opinion?

Old 06-24-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Depends on where yer coming from, obviously. Look on a map of SA and find Seaworld. I made that trip for years to Kirby which is north of 410/87 but drive time would be the same- 35-40 minutes. Great part, most of the drive is against traffic so there isn't much headed in the same direction you are. Same for in the evening. Bad part, at certain times of the year you'll be headed straight into the sun- both ways. A GREAT set of sunglasses is required. I will warn you now though, if driving IH10/90, on the eastside they still like to run a lot of radar. Watch the speed limit.

Okay Skippy, I am the Past President of the Alamo Area Lumbermans Assoc, Founding Family of the Greater San Antonio Home Builder Assoc, Adjunct faculty to ACCD Adult Ed teaching structural residential and commercial component construction, and I'm a PE, not that you have a clue what any of that is but I've been in the building game and building methodology in SA for the last 52 years. And your credentials are...besides your opinion?
I actually do know what those things are. They really aren't that hard to figure out. It's not like there's a lot of jargon in those names.

Anyway, I know you specialize in this area; but, hundreds of thousands of people have happily lived on the NE side and even parts of the eastside. It would be a bit extreme to advise everyone to avoid a quarter to a third of the county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio