Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 10:07 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,743,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I taught my kids to bag our groceries when we go to HEB. Before that, I did it myself. I'm particular about not having chemicals end up in the same bag as food, and not having wet things like produce in the same bag as flour or sugar, so it was easier to do it myself.

I've been meaning to get some more reusable bags. I had a bunch when I lived on the north side and then when I moved, the stores (especially Walmart) seemed unhappy with the idea of me bringing in a bunch of bags, so I quit using them. I still don't see many people using them out here, but I hate the plastic bags (my hubby can't ever throw them out, drives me insane) so I think I'll try again.
We generally bag our own too, especially when we make the mistake of going to HEB at 'peak' times and there is a shortage of baggers. Much rather bag my own than wait around for someone to show up or hold the line up by waiting for the cashier to finish ringing me up and THEN starting the bagging process.

My HEB doesn't seem to have as many issues with reusable bags though, but I guess that's because my HEB is in a neighborhood where a lot of people seem to use them.

As for stores unhappy with you bringing in bags, meh, let 'em be unhappy, I say. If they don't like it, they shouldn't sell the things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
The way it works in Toronto is that you bring your cloth bags...You go to the cashier...she scans the items and they roll off on to this little conveyor - then YOU pack your own bags...They don't pack your stuff in Toronto...not for a long time. Maybe you should do it....problem solved. You don't need insulated bags...Your perishables are usually home within 20 minutes and into the fridge anyway. You sound finicky.
Okay gotta laugh... this is Texas. Lots of 100 degree days, where it is quite likely to be 140 in the car within 15 minutes after we head into the store. Plus, most grocery stores lack any friggin' shade of any kind in the parking lots. So, I totally get the use of insulated bags. Without them, after getting back out to your oven of a car with your food, waiting for it to cool off and running the AC full blast, by the time you drive 20 minutes home your ice cream is liquefied. Your frozen veggies are thawing. Forget buying a bag of ice! That's what the corner store is for, hopefully a block away, unless you want a bag of ice WATER.

Heck, I am about two miles from my grocery store and if I don't use an insulated bag in summer, my ice cream is 1/4 soft by the time I am home.

My Grandma used to have to trek 40 to 50 minutes from the Air Force Base commissary to her house and she would need to take two ice chests with her for her frozen goods, and fill them with ice right after she bought her stuff so it would survive the drive home, and yes, she had AC in the car. This was before insulated bags were a thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 11:26 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
When I was younger and my family didn't have a car, we used to get irritated by them overstuffing the bags. We had to ask them to double bag everything because the bags would rip when walking home or to and from the bus stop.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
When I was younger and my family didn't have a car, we used to get irritated by them overstuffing the bags. We had to ask them to double bag everything because the bags would rip when walking home or to and from the bus stop.
I swear, it's like Murphy's Law of grocery shopping in my experience but the bags ALWAYS bust open just as I am pulling them out of the back of the car, and it's always cans, and then they roll down the street and/or under the dang car!

Bus grocery shopping sucks. Been there, don't care to do it again (It was summer, I was also pregnant and had a 5 year old, nearest bus stop was almost a mile from me, so extra fun).

Few years ago we were doing bike grocery shopping, three of us at a time, with backpacks, it was actually much easier than the bus method!

Old 06-26-2013, 11:31 AM

168 posts, read 409,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
They actually used to teach us those things when I was an HEB bagger back in the early 80s. You should call HeB Customer Service and tell them your concerns. With so many cities considering plastic bag bans, it needs to be handled correctly.
I had a loooooong chat with HEB Corporate Headquarters Customer Service on this topic and believe I've shared some insight to the shopper's challenges. Customer Service Rep assured me it would be discussed at the next Store Managers' Meeting.

I thought about bagging everything myself, but the shopper behind me might not appreciate my pace with packing!

Old 06-26-2013, 11:36 AM

168 posts, read 409,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
The way it works in Toronto is that you bring your cloth bags...You go to the cashier...she scans the items and they roll off on to this little conveyor - then YOU pack your own bags...They don't pack your stuff in Toronto...not for a long time. Maybe you should do it....problem solved. You don't need insulated bags...Your perishables are usually home within 20 minutes and into the fridge anyway. You sound finicky.
oooooook - guess I might sound finicky to someone who doesn't have haul around groceries in 100 degree weather for miles and miles of miles and miles!
I will certainly take your idea of packing my own groceries in my own insulated bags and cloth reusable bags, so those behind me in line, be kind, as I will probably slooooooooow down the line!

Old 06-26-2013, 11:43 AM

2,046 posts, read 5,587,756 times
Or just guide the bagger. Do you mind putting these cold foods in the insulated bag? And the chemicals, lets put them here. A simple smile and guidance might go a long way.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:11 PM

358 posts, read 577,640 times
I am an HEB fan, esp because they hire the disabled.

But, I've always been surprised at how few baggers know to cluster frozen foods into the same bags, if possible. I don't know how many times I've gotten home and realized that every single bag contained a frozen item, but no bag contained only frozen items.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:14 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,587,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labamigo View Post

But, I've always been surprised at how few baggers know to cluster frozen foods into the same bags, if possible. I don't know how many times I've gotten home and realized that every single bag contained a frozen item, but no bag contained only frozen items.

I see that as well, I think that they are trained but left at that. Not that they are not bright but many are young and I do not feel young people are that dedicated to their success at this point in their lives. Just my thoughts, not meaning to belittle anybody.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:38 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,556,576 times
Also, when you are younger, you probably haven't had as much experience grocery shopping...therefore, you may not be thinking "types of items" but rather size and shape.

I can't count how many time I've had to to rescue taco shells from being crushed by other things...just because it's in a box doesn't mean it's not fragile.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labamigo View Post

This is true. I try to cluster them myself by putting them all together on the conveyor belt. Helps some.

I don't make a bunch of requests but if it is really important to me that something be bagged a certain way I will tell the cashier or bagger directly. Or ask nicely. For me that means bagging fresh meat separately. Nothing nastier to me than blood or chicken "juice" all over my, well, all over anything else. So I ask them to bag that kind of thing solo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio