Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 06:30 PM

381 posts, read 768,215 times

Advertisements

I moved from California too about 2 years ago and it has been one of the best decisions in my life! Good luck with everything. BTW, I live right by AR. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 01:44 PM

169 posts, read 392,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by en28so View Post
I moved from California too about 2 years ago and it has been one of the best decisions in my life! Good luck with everything. BTW, I live right by AR. :-)
Thank you! What part of CA did you move from? Can you share with me what you've discovered (likes/dislikes/surprises) since you've moved? Is there anytyhing you would do differently?

Feel free to DM me if you don't want to share publicly, and thanks again!

Old 06-27-2013, 10:04 AM

890 posts, read 1,849,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
San Antonians are very friendly people, but they still can't drive worth a d---. Traffic really isn't a big deal, but it's made worse than it has to be due to the inordinate amount of dawdling motorists. Expedition is not a common quality in this part of Texas.
I agree with this to a point. The way the roads are built also lends itself to some of the crazy maneuvers.

And FWIW, I just moved from SA to California.....

Old 06-27-2013, 12:45 PM

611 posts, read 2,234,800 times
I grew up in Houston on the west side and had moved to SA when I was a sophomore in high school

in Houston especially on the Katy Freeway (I-10 west) when the traffic is moving on a freeway with a 65mph limit it was 70 in the slow lane, 78-80 in the middle lane, pretending we are in Germany in the left lane

in San Antonio in a freeway with a 65mph speed limit it was 55 in the right lane, 55.5-56.5 in the middle lane and 52 (and distracted) - 57 in the left lane.......I can probably count a thousand times when traffic in the right lane even with people getting on and off the freeway was moving noticeably faster than the traffic in the left lane....in fact SA IMO is the home of the right lane pass......they need to put up signs that say "slower traffic keep left" and then people can either do what they seem to do in SA which is get on the road and drive around aimlessly seemingly going nowhere or they will get all indignant and not follow the law by changing over and driving slow in the right lane

SA is also the worst place on earth for people that figure out 35 feet before their exit that they are in the left lane going slower than the traffic all backed up in the middle lane trying to get around them so they basically take a right hand turn from the left lane to make the exit

SA just keeps getting better and better overall and it is a lot different now than when I lived there, but the drivers are just terrible

Old 06-27-2013, 01:35 PM

23 posts, read 36,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penquin927 View Post
Glad you like it here. Have been here nine years now from the Maryland/DC area and LOVE IT here. People are really nice and I fell in love that after we decided to make this our home since my husband was retiring from active duty.
Since you are from the Maryland area I want perspective on Maryland vs. San Antonio humidity. Is it worse, better, or about the same?

Old 06-27-2013, 07:35 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,341,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradford72 View Post
Wife and I just returned to California after spending four days (Tues-Fri) exploring San Antonio for our upcoming move. We had a great time driving around the various neighborhoods and we have decided with 100% certainty that we are making an excellent choice in relocating there.

A few notes from our trip:

1) San Antonians are REALLY friendly and genuine! From servers to grocery clerks to gas station attendants to other drivers on the road, we were pleasantly surprised at how nice and courteous everyone is.

2) Your "traffic" problems are nowhere near as bad as you think they are. I guess it's all in one's perception, but we are truly looking forward to commuting in your city as opposed to the Bay Area mess we currently suffer through. And yes, we drove during commute hours both near 281/1604 and the corridor between Alamo Ranch and I-10. Since we were staying in Fair Oaks Ranch with family, we also travelled on I-10 each morning and evening during commute hours and only had one little snarl (disabled big rig clogging things up one evening).

3) Although we had pretty much convinced ourselves (before our trip, based on CD feedback and a lot of internet research) that Stone Oak would be our target area, we have since decided that Alamo Ranch is more to our liking. Of course, there were things we loved about both areas, but in the end I think we both just felt more drawn to AR. (And no...it's not because of the Del Taco! Although that is a huge plus LOL). I guess it just proves that the internet can't tell you everything...you gotta go there yourself!

Alrighty then...now it's time to find a job and make this happen!

One more thing...we absolutely LOVED the HEB Plus we visited, and I was shocked to find I could buy my favorite California wines CHEAPER there than here in CA.
Glad you enjoy our city. Been here 24 years now (originally DFW) and we love it!!! We are Alamo Ranch also and love our community and how close shopping, dining, etc are. Welcome to San Antonio!!! And yes, the people are awesome!!!

Old 06-28-2013, 03:36 AM

32 posts, read 43,022 times
We will be moving from Lorton VA to SA on the 10th of July. I was born and raised in Lubbock, but do not want to live there. I haven't been to SA since I was 16, but don't care. I am so tired of the east coast....I drive to Fort Meade DAILY, 52 miles each way. A couple of weeks ago, it took me 2 hours to get to work, and 3 hours to get home. I have developed back problems and chronic hives. Done, done and done with the East Coast. I am retired Military, so SA was also a smart move in that area as well. I truly do miss Texas and can't wait to finally be home! I am looking FORWARD to SA traffic....bring it on!

Old 06-28-2013, 09:10 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deena75 View Post
Since you are from the Maryland area I want perspective on Maryland vs. San Antonio humidity. Is it worse, better, or about the same?
I'm from MD and I would say hands down the humidity in the summer is far worse in MD than in SA.
Sure, it can be humid here in the morning but it tends to burn off by noon.

The only way I would say it's humid here is if you were comparing it to New Mexico or somewhere there's literally no humidity.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:34 AM

11 posts, read 15,518 times
I moved here from southern CA about 14 years ago. Overall I'm happy with the decision but I do miss the weather. You get used to the heat but toward the end of summer you just want it to end and sometimes it goes on and on, and then the temperatures finally do dip and then come back with a vengeance.... Agreed that the drivers are terrible here, but at least I haven't noticed them purposely trying to sabotage me as often as I have in CA. They're just not on the ball. And oh so painfully slow. If you go the speed limit you will be going faster than 90% of the traffic.

One decision I'm really happy I made is living inside the loop. I was discouraged from doing so by some inlaws here. I tried living outside (both 410 and 1604 -- notice I didn't say "the"? Still can't bring myself to say "y'all" though!) but I like it so much better inside. Some people disagree but that's why the loop has both an inside and an outside.

No place is perfect but there's a lot to like about San Antonio. I'm glad I made the move. I can't see ever moving back.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:52 PM

169 posts, read 392,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsocal View Post
Agreed that the drivers are terrible here, but at least I haven't noticed them purposely trying to sabotage me as often as I have in CA.
You hit the nail on the head! The passive-aggressiveness of California drivers is appalling. I’ve experienced it all my life and it’s only gotten worse. Brake-checking, blind-spotting, shadowing, rolling extra slow through a green/yellow so nobody else can follow…it’s as if they are a self-appointed traffic regulator. The biggest offenders used to be Volvos & Subarus, but these days it’s Toyota Priuses & Highlanders. Go figure the nanny-state demographic which typically owns those cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio