Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 02:05 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times

Advertisements

In San Antonio, most of your property taxes go to your local school district. For me, the NEISD gets something like 5x as much as the city does. You can see the figures if you look up your property record at BCAD.org.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 03:15 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpantle View Post
You mean ASSESSMENTS were lowered, don't you?

Educate me if I'm wrong, I don't live in SA.
I was referring to KM's comment about the national economy.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:45 PM

500 posts, read 969,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I was referring to KM's comment about the national economy.
AHHH!

Old 07-07-2013, 08:09 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,187 times
Default Yes again,

Hwyman, taxation rate is about the same, I have found living in a state that collected a state income tax. Property taxes were lower alright, but you got socked with a 3% or better local tax on wages earned.
Not to mention a city tax. Yes that is right, a tax on wages earned within a city's limits even.Taxation here is low in comparison.
Lots and lots of whiners here. Unbelievable the naivete by citizens here in S.A. A waste of effort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
One of the reasons property taxes are so high here is because we don't pay a state or local income tax.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:12 PM

Default Whoa!

Some of the best whining ever seen here,ever, my suggestion is to move away.
You are forgetting about how much insurances cost us ? Living in such an extravagantly wealthy nation costs, if one is a success. You merely do not make enough, that is what the complaining is about.
Billions the world over would love to exchange places, with you, why not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone Read View Post
Raise taxes? Contribute another grand or so? Are you serious? I pay income tax on my salary, Social security tax (which I'll probably never see) and Medicare just out of my paycheck. I pay property tax that comes out to another 4% of my yearly take home pay. I pay sales tax at over 8% on almost everything I buy. I pay user fees, car registration fees, occupational taxes. I pay additional taxes on utilities, gasoline, etc. Everywhere you look there's some additional mandated fee for disposing of something or funding some stupid government project. Our mayor just added a new tax for babysitting some person's kids who decided that breeding without the income to raise your children was a good idea. When you factor every tax, fee and hidden government charge, I guarantee I pay over 50% of my income back to the government. The various taxing authorities take all this money from me and its not enough. The Feds spend twice as much as they take in. When does it stop? We revolted against the British for taxing us at a 3% rate. Now its over 15 times that and we still continue to vote for politicians, who like the British did, tax us without representing us. We truly get the government we deserve.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:45 PM

Default I agree with you Tx Hwyman,again,

Particularly with regards to comparisons between the city of Detroit and San Antonio for instance. They are very responsible here with expenditures. No extravagances. If anything- we are a penny pinching bunch.
Complaining about street names and the tiny children whom might recieve benefit , the heights of absurdity reached here are stratospheric.
Two All American Cities held up for scrutiny...
The City of Detroit - grapple with this, comprehend this- has a 17 billion dollar deficit, with a lesser population.
That is Billion, with a capital B. Detroiters would sneer at a 50 million dollar deficit. They might think they have died and gone to heaven, but no this is only San Antonio.
The unemployment rate is far higher there also, of course . San Antonio is blessed, but let us listen to the loud whining lamentations of the locals here, it is so amusing. Pessimism among plenty, with common sense missed by a wide margin. People from other countries might think us all crazy, for such negativity.
Most of these posts are such nonsense. Multitudes of misinformed opinions.
Rank Generalizations abound here in the land of backwards.
I mostly do not pay attention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
Balderdash. I don't think the property tax rate has been increased since Sculley's been here (2005ish) and COSA has the highest credit rating of any city in the top 10; it's even higher than the US federal government's rating. In a budget exceeding $2 billion, you'll always find some waste and inefficiency, but IMO, they've been quite responsible with the city coffers.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:50 PM

847 posts, read 2,232,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Particularly with regards to comparisons between the city of Detroit and San Antonio for instance. They are very responsible here with expenditures. No extravagances. If anything- we are a penny pinching bunch.
Complaining about street names and the tiny children whom might recieve benefit , the heights of absurdity reached here are stratospheric.
Two All American Cities held up for scrutiny...
The City of Detroit - grapple with this, comprehend this- has a 17 billion dollar deficit, with a lesser population.
That is Billion, with a capital B. Detroiters would sneer at a 50 million dollar deficit. They might think they have died and gone to heaven, but no this is only San Antonio.
The unemployment rate is far higher there also, of course . San Antonio is blessed, but let us listen to the loud whining lamentations of the locals here, it is so amusing. Pessimism among plenty, with common sense missed by a wide margin. People from other countries might think us all crazy, for such negativity.
Most of these posts are such nonsense. Multitudes of misinformed opinions.
Rank Generalizations abound here in the land of backwards.

I mostly do not pay attention.
you type an *awful* lot to not be paying attention.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:59 AM

Default That Was,

A response to a few posts on our out of control-horrible fiscal state of affairs. Mostly- I do not pay attention- the claims are too rediculous to pay attention to.
. Somebody should have an apposing view, Mud, beside txhighwayman and I agree with much of
he wrote due to the fact that what he waid was not just noise, he is right. Lots of noisy alarmists here
with implausible claims. Lots of noise with little meaning.
Let us not muddy the waters here. No pun unintended . This was a cursory response.
you type an *awful* lot to not be paying attention.
.[/quote]

Old 07-08-2013, 07:00 PM

500 posts, read 969,509 times
Well, certainly an interesting perspective, albeit an extreme comparison of SA to Detroit.

Some here would believe that any deficits aren't such a good thing, I being one of them. But then again, what's a mere 50M between friends?

In the case of Detroit and 17B deficit, now you're talking REAL money.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:43 PM

Default Yes, dpantle,

Detroit is in financial crisis. There is nowhere to turn, Feds. may have to bail out the city
someday. Population loss of 350,000 in last twenty years.
Firefighter's boots have holes in them, 10,000 abandoned residences, police dept. in a public statement -can give no guarantee of any visitor's safety. All corners have been cut to save money, to no avail.
360 unsolved murders last year. Zoo may be privatized. Ex-Mayor Kilpatrick is in state prison for racketeering. Corruption is a cancer in city govt.
A downward spiral into a vortex, with no bottom.

Anybody here; make the grand reopening of Coolcrest Golf Course? Mud ?
I haven't been there since the seventies. It used to look like paradise in the summer evenings in there,
it was so beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpantle View Post
Well, certainly an interesting perspective, albeit an extreme comparison of SA to Detroit.

Some here would believe that any deficits aren't such a good thing, I being one of them. But then again, what's a mere 50M between friends?

In the case of Detroit and 17B deficit, now you're talking REAL money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio